raptor 350 or blaster

lutzer21

Feb 2, 2012
hey guys im trying to decide which to buy, either a used 2009 raptor 350 or a used 2006 special edition blaster, i ride just trails and play around in feilds and some smaller jumps, what are your thoughts on which to get and why

Raptor, i prefer 4 strokes, and a raptor 350 is a nice bike. Very comfortable bright lights, reverse and electric start. Blasters are fun and i mean fun, but if you just wanna buy it and ride it (then do maintenance) a raptor would be better. Everyone on here willl say a blaster can be built to be a great bike which it can. But a raptor 350 is better from the factory which gives you a better start from the get go so even if you want to build you still can.

Ok well the blaster is 2700 and the raptor is 3300 from a dealer, there both used but very little, which ones a better deal

the blaster would have to be in virgin mary immaculate condition, and maybe carry the warranty for that price, they were only $3200 brand new when they were in production, which was '06, last year
given the choice i'd take a blasty any day over a crappy 350, but not for $2700

Ok well weren't they a bit more expensive then that Cdn and it is in very good condition but I think it is overpriced a bit, also which is more reliable, are there many problems with blasters

are there many problems with blasters

problems are caused by lazy ass owners lack of routine maintenence

i had a brand new '96, sold it 8 hard years later with the stock piston in it, and still starting on 1-2 kicks

The biggest problem with Blasters are the owners. No offense. It all boils down to how well you take care of and tune the machine. The Blaster's 2-stroke engine is incredibly simple and will last for years if properly-maintained. Use good oil, jet the carburetor correctly, run quality gas, keep the air filter clean, do an annual leakdown test just to be sure, and you'll be set.

Sometimes Blasters get a bad reputation because people slap pipes on them and run 'em hard without re-jetting, causing the top end to blow. Or they use cheap weedeater quailty oil, don't take care of the air filter, run the engine with a leaky seal, etc, any of which also causes engine damage. Thus, the myth arises that the engine is flimsy when, in fact, it wasn't taken care of to begin with.

The only real problem with a Blaster is weak shocks and POS chain rollers. Both of these issues are easily addressed. Other than that, they are sturdy. In fact, if you look at my sig pic close enough, you'll see that I wrecked my Blaster prior to taking the pic. The handlebars are bent on one side. It took quite a beating and kept right on kicking. They are tough little machines.

I'd get a Blaster. A Raptor 350 is a nice quad for trail riding, but they are underpowered and you'll get bored with one after awhile. I used to own a Warrior (basically the same thing without as many modern upgrades) and got tired of it after only two trips out. I couldn't even get a thrill out of a TRX 450r. 4-stroke engines just don't appeal to me enough to justify owning one.

Bottom line is, you'll have more fun on a Blaster, and there's a huge potential for modding as you decide you need/want more power.

That one at the dealership is WAY overpriced.

I gave $ 1,000.00 cash for my 2005 Blaster. IT was almost brand new and came with the Toomey kit already installed.

You can find 2003 + Blasters for sale in good shape for $ 1,500.00 or less with a little looking. Skip the dealer and try stalking Craigslist for a little while. You'll find a good deal...

@AWK

Not to be rude, or call you out but have you ever rode a rappy 350? They are very nice bikes. It a button starts right up. Put on your boots while it idles and then take off, has neutral light reverse 4 stroke lower end power nice brakes(no matter what year you get) really comfy ride. If i had the choice i would take one. I wouldn't call them any faster than a blaster but more trail worthy right off the back. With more updated EVERYTHING.

And i would never ever compare a warrior to a raptor lol. IMO 2 completly different machines all the way. The raptor is a more built sport quad, the warrior is a better looking utility.

@ 1995blaster

no i have never ridden a crappy 350, all i know is my buddy's crappy700r can't hang with me in the trails, i can only imagine how much waiting i'd have to do for a 350

btw...have you ever ridden anything but a stock blaster ????
and your "tie boots and ride", further explains my "lazy ass atv owner" statement

And i would never ever compare a warrior to a raptor lol. IMO 2 completly different machines all the way. The raptor is a more built sport quad, the warrior is a better looking utility.

Just remember that the Raptor 350 is based on the old Warrior 350. Except for cosmetics and a slightly-redesigned pipe, the Warrior and Raptor 350 are basically the same quad. Engines and all interchange.

I agree that a Raptor 350 can hold its own on the trails, but a properly tuned Blaster with just a pipe and open airbox will give one a run for its money.

There's only so much power you can get out of the Raptor 350's 2-valve, SOHC engine with its origins in the 1980's. I'd rather have a 400ex over a Raptor 350. Better handling and a little more power to play with...

@ 1995blaster

no i have never ridden a crappy 350, all i know is my buddy's crappy700r can't hang with me in the trails, i can only imagine how much waiting i'd have to do for a 350

btw...have you ever ridden anything but a stock blaster ????
and your "tie boots and ride", further explains my "lazy ass atv owner" statement

Ha ha, i was completely nice and professional about my statement, not meaning any harm and with you remark of calling me a "lazy ass atv owner" wasn't appreciated.

I have never rode a 700r but i have a 350. So far you have took a question of asking a 350 raptor or stock blaster to a 700 raptor or completely
trail modded blaster?
Like i said in my first post "Everyone on here willl say a blaster can be built to be a great bike which it can" but it doesnt seem like this guys wants to buy this blaster and put thousands of dollars of years like you have awk.

That's 2 completely different things, how about you start comparing apples to apples.

Just remember that the Raptor 350 is based on the old Warrior 350. Except for cosmetics and a slightly-redesigned pipe, the Warrior and Raptor 350 are basically the same quad. Engines and all interchange.

I agree that a Raptor 350 can hold its own on the trails, but a properly tuned Blaster with just a pipe and open airbox will give one a run for its money.

There's only so much power you can get out of the Raptor 350's 2-valve, SOHC engine with its origins in the 1980's. I'd rather have a 400ex over a Raptor 350. Better handling and a little more power to play with...

A blaster is a 70's designed reed valve engine.

A blaster is a 70's designed reed valve engine.

True. Which is part of the fun of owning one. When the OP gets tired of 1970's performance, he can have it ported and the head redesigned to bring it up to more modern performance levels.

Its kinda hard to add an extra camshaft and two or three more valves to get more HP out of a Raptor 350.

I'd rather pay a couple hundred for porting and head work and be able to bolt on 10-15 extra HP when the top end comes back.

That's 2 completely different things, how about you start comparing apples to apples.

i got a better idea, unprofessionally of course.
how bout you sale that bent up blaster of yours and apply the $350 towards a craptor if they give you such a hard-on
then head right on over to raptorforum.com
where your "ride on forever, although slowly, with zero maintenence required", promotions will be much appreciated and appluaded by every other 4 joke, lazy ass, lack of maintenence rider on there

this is blaster forum, we love and promote them, when you decide not too, you're gonna catch heat !!!

Last edited:
True. Which is part of the fun of owning one. When the OP gets tired of 1970's performance, he can have it ported and the head redesigned to bring it up to more modern performance levels.

Its kinda hard to add an extra camshaft and two or three more valves to get more HP out of a Raptor 350.

I'd rather pay a couple hundred for porting and head work and be able to bolt on 10-15 extra HP when the top end comes back.

Thats true, but this guy didnt say anything about buying it and adding a few hundred (or few thousand like awk compared it to.) But hey this guy may get the bug and decide to but imo stock for stock rappy all the way.

i got a better idea, unprofessionally of course.
how bout you sale that piece of sh*t, bent up blaster of yours and apply the $350 towards a craptor if they give you such a hard-on
then head right on over to raptorforum.com
where your "ride on forever, although slowly, with zero maintenence required", promotions will be much appreciated and appluaded by every other 4 joke, lazy ass, lack of maintenence rider on there

this is blaster forum, we love and promote them, when you decide not too, you're gonna catch heat !!!

Did i ever say i hated blasters, im just being realistic, and honest not keeping my mouth shut being afraid of what someone would say.

And you don't know anything about people on raptor forum (nor do i) and did i say anything about zero maintenance i believe about i specifically said and normal maintenance did it not? Just because you do not have a good reply doesn't mean you need to call people names. You lazy ass perverted old man.

Braapptor is the only one actually being realistic and putting up a decent arguement.

Raptors an warriors are the same just different plastics slightly bigger carb I THINK....an you can build a decent blaster for what your going to put into that raptor just face it a raptor will never be as fast a decently modded blaster... An there boring ive road one with an hmf pipe nothing exciting imo

You lazy ass perverted old man.

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaaaaa

i still say stock for stock...........BLASTER.
way quicker, way lighter, way more nimble in the trails and far more potential.

Raptors an warriors are the same just different plastics slightly bigger carb I THINK....an you can build a decent blaster for what your going to put into that raptor just face it a raptor will never be as fast a decently modded blaster... An there boring ive road one with an hmf pipe nothing exciting imo

He posted the prices of the machines he is interested in, not far off. There not a power house i said above there about the same as a blaster but they have the nice things like good brake neutral light reverse better ride all from the start. like i said above. Yeah a MODDED blaster is faster in the motor but stock for stock the raptor. I never said modded blaster vs. 350 raptor the raptor would win no, just stock for stock.