• Use clutch to shift

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Don't use clutch to shift

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters

tbrooks

Sep 24, 2013
NC mtns
Since I'm finally gonna be riding, later tonight hopefully. I thought I would pose this ^^^^ question. I haven't seen an argument about this yet, but I have heard opinions going both ways elsewhere. So how do you do it and why?

Providing you are confident at changing without the clutch go for it.

You need to ease off the throttle slightly as the gear lever is operated, practice makes perfect.

I rarely use the clutch, other than for difficult times when I need to keep within the powerband and nose up flight correction.

Do not just jump on a bike that you have never ridden and try clutchless changes, one has to learn the gear ratio spacings.

It is all a matter of feeling the gear into the next one, not just stabbing the lever.

This is why i dont let other people ride my blaster anymore! I did not spend all the $$$ on my motor so some smurf can decide they dont need to us my clutch on it!
I may not use the clutch sometimes when i get lazy! :eek:

Its really a matter of timing..:cool:. The clutch will help ease, not slam, the trans into the next gear. Removing a bit of the power will keep the shift forks and dog ears on the gears from premature wear. Some think that shifting up is worse than shifting down without the clutch, not really its the same weight being moved. You can only go as fast as you can stop. I always use the clutch to shift , unless I have no choice.If you have to back off the gas to shift without the clutch you are really defeating the purpose, to accelerate fast. You may be harder on the clutch but that's what its for, to protect the trans. Besides,clutch repairs are a lot less than trans repairs . My 2 cents !

Reactions: Awk08
. I always use the clutch to shift , unless I have no choice.If you have to back off the gas to shift without the clutch you are really defeating the purpose, to accelerate fast. You may be harder on the clutch but that's what its for, to protect the trans. Besides,clutch repairs are a lot less than trans repairs . My 2 cents !

i was just typing something very similar to that.
let off the gas, or wait until the rpm's are correct to shift.......don't worry, i'll be waiting for you at the end of the track/trail

I've always use the clutch because I just feel like it'd be bad because of how fast and hard i shift. There's no reason for me not to use it.

On the last couple blasters I have had I have noticed something. I use clutch to take off then not really much after that. Even down shifting I usually dnt clutch, every now and then I will if I am coasting when I need to shift down. But after like 6+ hours of hard riding the trans starts to get "tough" to shift. Like it takes more and more effort to shift up and down even when using the clutch. Anyone else noticed that?

If you dont wann use a clutch get an automatic quad... I like the motion of using the clutch n the ease on the engine using it. Yes the way mines set up i can shift at any speed WITH OUT letting off gas or anything not using the clutch.... But y risk the parts? When/if my wrist cramps i may skip using it but... Its there so i PULL, i call that a stranger ;)

On the last couple blasters I have had I have noticed something. I use clutch to take off then not really much after that. Even down shifting I usually dnt clutch, every now and then I will if I am coasting when I need to shift down. But after like 6+ hours of hard riding the trans starts to get "tough" to shift. Like it takes more and more effort to shift up and down even when using the clutch. Anyone else noticed that?

Yes fatigue..... Make sure you lube your cable n change your gear oil often as well, try getting a more comfortable lever also. I got an asv shorty pro n love it

I run a msr ez-pull an its awesome, can pull with one finger, with hd clutch springs, I use my clutch every time I make a gear change, I use my blaster to go have fun, so if the tranny breaks thats no fun, ive already shattered a shift drum an broke a shift shaft an that was with clutch. Now when I raced motocross
I never used the clutch except for out of corners, I just slammed gears, but I didn't care if it broke, I was there to win, I was into the race engines every few weeks to make sure they were always in top condition

I always use my clutch. I use it because slipping it in the correct way is a very useful combined with throttle and body position to hook as much power to the ground.

i didnt use the clutch at all on my blaster but when i missed 2nd on my kx250 coming into a jump and nose dived it, i have used the clutch since on it on tracks, and pretty much anywhere i guess except for smooth flat riding

When teaching someone to ride, I always encourage them to clutch. When I was younger I never clutched. Now all the guys I ride with have kids who are with on most rides. We're not ripping hard so I clutch. But when the kids aren't with... it gets hard enough to keep at ~7000 rpm, while sideways, around a corner, trying to not hit the big rocks. There is no clutch at that point.

I always use the clutch. Just how I learned to ride. The MSR levers I have actually made pulling it easier, and the rubber on the outside of them helps keep muddy fingers from slipping.