2004 blaster a few problems to fix

blaster214

Jan 28, 2013
Ok so I was on this forum about 9 years ago when i had a blaster fast forward to now I just picked up another.
It has a new top end. Fmf pipe and silencer. New carb and other than that its stock. So I met the guy rode it around in 1st and 2nd and it ran great started on the first kick. Feels like it has good compassion. It's an 04 model. Once I got it home I checked the gearbox oil and added a tad bit to it maybe 200ml mixed some fuel and went riding in the trails. I have since found some problems.

1. The clutch was slipping past 3rd gear. So i ordered a new kit. Once it came in I pulled it apart to find that the basket had two fingers broken off and has a ton of play. So I ordered a new basket and hub.

2. When I was out riding a would come to stop go inside get a drink relax for a bit and go back to start it. It would not start after some investigation I seem to think the choke circulate doesnt work. As I can cover the intake tube with my hand and it pops right off. This doesnt happen when shutting it off just for a min and starting again.

3. I have found a pretty bad leak at the front sprocket counter shaft seal. I have not checked the shaft for play yet but i will tomorrow.

So I cant believe the clutch didn't explode on me as I was romping on it pretty hard but I believe the parts I have ordered will fix it. Any thing else I should look at.

Any idea on why it has this hard to start problem. I haven't checked the reeds but it idles pretty damn good and throttle is crisp so I dont suspect any problems there.

Anything other than checking the counter shaft bearing play for the oil leak I should at.

I'm pretty familiar with these bikes and years ago I used to do all this professionally my last blaster was stroked bored ported and head chambered all done by myself and it was wicked but it had been a while so I just thought I would ask and see what some of you thought.
I'll add some pics of it

Ok so I was on this forum about 9 years ago when i had a blaster fast forward to now I just picked up another.
It has a new top end. Fmf pipe and silencer. New carb and other than that its stock. So I met the guy rode it around in 1st and 2nd and it ran great started on the first kick. Feels like it has good compassion. It's an 04 model. Once I got it home I checked the gearbox oil and added a tad bit to it maybe 200ml mixed some fuel and went riding in the trails. I have since found some problems.

1. The clutch was slipping past 3rd gear. So i ordered a new kit. Once it came in I pulled it apart to find that the basket had two fingers broken off and has a ton of play. So I ordered a new basket and hub.

2. When I was out riding a would come to stop go inside get a drink relax for a bit and go back to start it. It would not start after some investigation I seem to think the choke circulate doesnt work. As I can cover the intake tube with my hand and it pops right off. This doesnt happen when shutting it off just for a min and starting again.

3. I have found a pretty bad leak at the front sprocket counter shaft seal. I have not checked the shaft for play yet but i will tomorrow.

So I cant believe the clutch didn't explode on me as I was romping on it pretty hard but I believe the parts I have ordered will fix it. Any thing else I should look at.

Any idea on why it has this hard to start problem. I haven't checked the reeds but it idles pretty damn good and throttle is crisp so I dont suspect any problems there.

Anything other than checking the counter shaft bearing play for the oil leak I should at.

I'm pretty familiar with these bikes and years ago I used to do all this professionally my last blaster was stroked bored ported and head chambered all done by myself and it was wicked but it had been a while so I just thought I would ask and see what some of you thought.
I'll add some pics of it
Sounds like your off to a good start. Alot of debris ends up around theCountershaft seals. Grass.ect.. While your waiting on parts. It's a good idea to check out everything to see where you are healthwise on the bike. Do you still have leakdown tester?04 seals?. Basically check everything you mentioned. No bolts falling off or missing anywhere

Compression is 140. I'm going to check the play in the counter shaft today. I dont have a leak down tester anymore. Just scored a complete clutch assembly off ebay for 100 bucks. So that will be fixed just need to figure out the cold starting problem

Reactions: Slydog
Compression is 140. I'm going to check the play in the counter shaft today. I dont have a leak down tester anymore. Just scored a complete clutch assembly off ebay for 100 bucks. So that will be fixed just need to figure out the cold starting problem
Good score on the clutch

Ok so all the clutch components should be here monday. That will fix the clutch problems although I rode it around gently today with the new clutch disks to flush any debris out. Didn't look bad but it is leaking badly from the counter shaft seal. I have that seal on order i may have figured out the cold starting problem. I noticed when i pulled the choke it would come out past the duvet that holds it in that position. So I made sure to not pull it out past that and it fired up first kick. I will verify this tomorrow

Sounds like the problem. Your getting close to riding. Every thing else is good around it?. Brakes. Chain/sprockets. Carrier and swingarm bearings

Front brakes are good. Rear needs new pads. There already coming. Bearings are good. I checked the counter shaft bearing and it was rock solid so just replace that seal. Once I get the main things fixed then I'm going to flip the front wheels and look at getting a shee axle and upgrade the shocks.

When replacing the seal, clean the shaft with brake cleaner before removing old seal. After removal use a rag with cleaner and wipe it down again. Wrap shaft with one lap of masking tape. Pack inside of seal with grease. Lube shaft where seal goes with grease. Install seal

Reactions: Awk08
I got the hot rods kit. I also have so left over super ring oring and seal lube. It's made for installing orings and seals and dries with no film. Works pretty good. Hopefully after this that will be all the problems I have to deal with for a while.

I got the hot rods kit. I also have so left over super ring oring and seal lube. It's made for installing orings and seals and dries with no film. Works pretty good. Hopefully after this that will be all the problems I have to deal with for a while.
Should put tape on the shaft like larry said. Masking or electric tape.so you don't cut new seal

Yea I def will I also usually grease the lip real good. Everything will be in monday. I didn't order a new gasket as the one on it is brand new hopefully it comes off easy.

Yea I def will I also usually grease the lip real good. Everything will be in monday. I didn't order a new gasket as the one on it is brand new hopefully it comes off easy.
New gasket. Somebody has been in there recently.? Make sure case is not damaged

That somebody was me lol. I went to put a new clutch in cause it was slipping. Upon case removal I found the broken basket. So the gasket isn't even a week old

That somebody was me lol. I went to put a new clutch in cause it was slipping. Upon case removal I found the broken basket. So the gasket isn't even a week old
Haha busted:p. I thought you were talking about the stator side that you have to take off to put seal in. Unless chain guard was cut off

No the chain guard is still there. I got the new clutch assembly. So that's all good now. Only thing left is the cold starting issue. So when it's cold or if I've let it sit for a little bit it wont start even with the choke. If I hold my hand over the intake tube then it will pop right off. When I bought it the guy said the carb was brand new and had been rejected for the kn and the fmf pipe and silencer. It looks new so I took him at his word.

To me it seems the choke circuit is not working. I dont think it's a reed issue because it only does it cold. Any ideas

Clean the carb (again?)
There’s a tiny hole in front of the slide on the bottom of the carb bore. You must be sure you can blow air through that from inside of the carb where the brass tube in the bowl lines up. Also make sure you can blow air through that tube. That’s how it pulls fuel up for the starting circuit