So I picked up a DSM...

blasterdude14

Apr 28, 2009
ohio
Well as of about 7 hours ago I'm the official owner of a "Domestic" car its a 1994 Mitsubishi Eclipse that's so base its crazy. Standard on this car is no powersteering, no power windows, cassette tape radio thats getting replaced tomorrow, a 1.8 motor so lacking in power that a blaster could actually beat it off the line by a long shot lol. The best things about this car are the American Racing wheels with Pirelli Tires and the sweet seat belts that are motorized. I already know its name which is DSM short for Damn Slow Mitsubishi hahahah. Anyways its late and I'll post pics in the morning, my dirtbikes gonna be on the backburner now and possibly sold since this car is gonna be my new focus

I almost bought a Conquest but it was slower than my 86 mustang with a stock 302 and c4 auto. Its got a mild 351w and 5 speed now. I have a buddy thats into DSM, he was builing a wicked turbo stroker engine but sold the car before he finished it.

congrats on your new ride !
lets try to keep this one in one piece ?

i'll bet if you look under the hood, there is indeed some sort of power steering, possibly broken/disconnected and sold to you as manual steering ?
but almost every car made, if not by law, has had power steering since the late 60's early 70's, as standard equipment, it is not an option.

someone correct me if i'm worng, but i find "no power steering" hard to believe in a 90's vehicle.

i'll bet if you look under the hood, there is indeed some sort of power steering, possibly broken/disconnected and sold to you as manual steering.
but almost every car made, if not by law, has had power steering since the late 60's early 70's, as standard equipment, it is not an option.

someone correct me if i'm worng, but i find "no power steering" hard to believe in a 90's vehice.

Look it up yourself Awk it has no power steering whatsoever I knew before I even looked under the hood lol

Look it up yourself Awk it has no power steering whatsoever I knew before I even looked under the hood lol

c'mon, it has to at least have power assisted rack and pinion steering ?
if not, it should have never been allowed import to this country and stayed on the japanese dirt roads with the rest of the manually steered scooters I:I

c'mon, it has to at least have power assisted rack and pinion steering ?
if not, it should have never been allowed import to this country and stayed on the japanese dirt roads with the rest of the manually steered scooters I:I

I wonder if the PS requirement on imported cars was based upon their weight? Maybe the smaller ones under a certain weight weren't required to have it because the steering effort wasn't much greater when the car was fitted with a manual box? :-/ I say that because I know for a fact power steering was an option on the early 1990's Honda Del Sol's.

My old boss had one, a 1993 model, and I worked on it for about a month and got to drive it once it had been fixed. That thing was TINY. It had a little 1.something liter engine and no power steering. No pump, brackets, lines, fittings, etc. Although, IMO, power steering wasn't needed on that car. It really wasn't that much more difficult to steer than my DD Silverado with power steering.

Now I'm curious. I figured Honda was the only import manufacturer to offer a car to the American market with no PS. I guess I am wrong...

i'll bet if you look under the hood, there is indeed some sort of power steering, possibly broken/disconnected and sold to you as manual steering ?

someone correct me if i'm worng, but i find "no power steering" hard to believe in a 90's vehicle.

I thought the same thing.

The thing is that is not an "import" per se. The eclipse is the same thing as the Eagle Talon, and Plymouth Laser. They were made in America as a collaboration between Mitsubishi and Dodge called Diamond Star Motors or DSM for short

They were made in America as a collaboration between Mitsubishi and Dodge called Diamond Star Motors or DSM for short

if DSM didn't include power steering as standard equipment, it may stand for Dip sh*t Motors I:I

My 91 has no power steering...

Pics to come later haven't got around to it yet since I been trouble shooting and fixing issues. I found a brand new oil pump on ebay for 84 that I ordered today hopefully it gets here before the end of the week, now I'm trying to fix my idle under load issue because with the AC on it drops my idle down to 500rpms which is way to low I don't dare hook up my subs yet because of it

Well i just can't seem to get lucky with cars. Was driving to school today and it broke down completely shut off think the motor went.

The Mazda 323 I had a while back had no P/S, it was a 90 model. It must be an import thing, though. My first car was a 76 Pinto, it had P/S but it must have been a top of the line model. It also came with an auto-change oil/under carriage anti-corrosion system.