Blaster runs f***ing weird! Wtf?

So heres a link to the youtube, photobucket messes up entirely too much!

Thanks in advance!
Problem is most noticeable on the video when i ride off, about 2:25 or so. keeping the throtle going is the only way i kept it running....

Last edited by a moderator:
have you done a leakdown test. you could try pulling the petcock out and make sure it isn't clogged. water in the gas/carb bell. lots of what if's here. jetting.. what are you runnin for jets. i would assume a 310 main from toomey

It is just getting air in the fuel line thus not letting enought fuel into the carb you may try taking the gas cap off and cupping your hands around it and blowing as hard as you can that will push the fuel into the carb. You can also try flicking the line or taking it off the carb and let it pour in a steady flow and the put it back on. does it run fine before it runs out of gas?

x2, what's the plug look like, what's the compression like, and what does the coil ohm out to when it does this?

the carb could also have some dirt or debri in it laying at the bottom and when it sucks the carb dry it suck the dirt in it and clogs it momentarily. I have had that happen before.. hows the spark plug look? might just be the plug cause thats what it sounds like its like you have a bad plug and its causing it to misfire.

OK so... I have not done a leakdown or compression....yes yes i know i need to :) need to get required tools first.

So i pulled the plug, it was a little wet, cleaned it right before this video was taken. air filter is clean. I also noticed the plug boot was kinda dirty so i cleaned that up.

The JET came with the kit, not sure what size..havent check yet. it came with the Toomey setup (pipe, silencer, filter, jet).

i put fresh gas in it, let it sit about 2 hours and fired right up and ran fine. Thats what it does every single time.
Maybe its just not getting enough fuel when it runs real low??

Trouble shooting 101:

A motor needs 4 things to run, air, fuel, compression and spark.

when it dies, pull the fuel line off the carb, got gas?

Air filter clean?

Compression?

Spark?

Now that you have checked those, lets look at your problem. It starts running bad and dies. it sits for a while and will then start. Why will it start after a while? spark is there or it isn't... it has compression or it doesn't? either of those two are fixed, whether the engine was running 30 seconds ago or a wek ago, doesnt matter. Air? why would it suddenly stop getting air then start getting air again? makes no sense. Fuel... ok you have a couple of scenerios... vent is plugged, riding uses fuel and creates vacume in tank decreasing fuel... if that was the case, once you opened to gas cap, it would break the vacume and te bike would start. rule that one out. You never stated how you were riding... its possible that it could be rich, loads the motor up and floods out. Sitting for a while, fuel evaporates, motor is no longer flooded and starts. Although it is also possible you could have an airleak that gets much worse when up to temp as things expand.

Its an aircooled 2 stroke motor with 30 year old technology, its not rocket science.

thanks all
I've come to the conclusion that when it gets really low on fuel i've got to be getting air in the line or something. due to the fact that once it gets fresh gas and sits it runs fine, i cant think of anything else.
has great spark, plenty of air, so next time it runs out i plan on removing the tank and draining it to see if theres a problem in the lower part of the tank.

but hey, when it runs right it runs f**ing great! :)

thanks all
I've come to the conclusion that when it gets really low on fuel i've got to be getting air in the line or something. due to the fact that once it gets fresh gas and sits it runs fine, i cant think of anything else.
has great spark, plenty of air, so next time it runs out i plan on removing the tank and draining it to see if theres a problem in the lower part of the tank.

but hey, when it runs right it runs f**ing great! :)

Did you evn bother to read what I posted?? why do you need to remove the tank and drain it????????? pull the fuel line off the carb, takes 2 freaking seconds, either gas is comming out or its not.

so its running good today. took the plug out to check it after yesterdays problems
the gap is like 0. right on the money. the electrode is almost touching the top bar.
I set the gap according to the manual, and it runs like trash. NO POWER on the bottom end, but plenty up top. runs amazing at high rpm

so, should i reduce the gap back to where it was???
again it's bored over, got the toomey, jets etc etc.