Brand New 28mm Mikuni Jetting help

BrandonSulik

Nov 14, 2021
I’ve searched high and low and am stumped… please Help!!!

2006 Blaster
Big bore kit
VForce 4 reeds (new)
FMF gold with power core (fresh repacked)
Mikuni 28mm carb (new)
Currently wide open intake. Will be ordering straight fit K&N direct carb filter
No more upgrades will go into the bike. This is a trail bike.

So hears the deal. I bought a used blaster. Had a crappy Chinese 28mm carb in place. Ordered a brand new mikuni 28mm carb from Denniskirk https://www.denniskirk.com/mikuni/2...ide-carburetor-vm28-49.p165143.prd/165143.sku

What i need help with. Jetting issues

I put a brand new 32.5 pilot jet in it which is stock
Idles and starts great (no issues there)

I’m bouncing back and fourth between 280 to 310 main jets
I’m not sure if my issue is the jets, (stock needle, or stock needle jet that comes with that carb)?

*Question 1. The 26 and 28 mikuni are not the same needle\needle jet series. Can i use the stock needle and needle jet that comes with this new universal carb (Needle: 5F21 / Needle Jet: N-8 (169 Series))
or does someone have info on the parts i need that would matchup the 28mm carb equivalent to the 26mm oem needle and needle jet.

What my issues are
310 jet: bike sputters never really grabs power ban. Has some power loss issues, but able to regain
300 jet: bike seems to get on the power ban but once in the power ban for a 10-15 seconds the bike will just loose all power and or start high reving when letting off the gas slightly. It’s occasional and not constant. It starts screaming and reving. Almost every time when this occurs afterword the bike does not run right and i have to limp back home unable to give any throttle or it completely bogs and shuts off. I don’t understand why when i first start it up with a new plug it runs great with a 300 jet but major issues after riding for 5-10 min
280 jet. Runs ok. Also seems to randomly sputter. Bogs slightly, but does gets to power ban. All the same issues listed about with the 300 jet are the same with the 280.

*question 2. What main jet is recommended for this setup with the bigger 28mm carb? Is my needle an issue. I have not leak down tested but the bike starts, idles great, and runs great until it doesn’t. Leaks typically cause erratic idling which i have zero issues with. I am able to idle the bike 10+ min with zero fluctuation in rpms. Why is the bike cutting off entirely and loosing power when in the power ban either during or after slightly letting off the gas while in power ban. The bike will not accept any throttle after the loss of power and as of right new seems like it needs anew spark plug after occurrence to get running right again or about 5-10 min then repeat.