2005 Blaster Rebuild

I talked to Ken today. My cylinder and head are done. I'm going to tear into my bottom end this weekend, and send my crankshaft in to get rebuilt. I'm going to change everything down there, all bearings and seals.

I thought about it, after the first call, I won a great prize with some Cylinder porting and Cut head. Why Mess it all up because I have no Idea whats going on in my bottom end! I called Ken back, and he agreed. Why chance the unknown? So once the snow melts, and it finally warms up, I'll have a damn solid Blaster, that I know was built right.

Ken, Thanks for helping and answering the phone. I'll be talking to you soon!

Fred

Reactions: Awk08
/\ thats thinkin with your dipstick jimmy !

3 years ago, i wasted a 2 month old KOR topend/wiseco piston when the crank let loose on the black bike.
thats when i made the decision.... ken gets my whole engines all at once, and the go ahead to replace anything and everything he feels needs it. i don't have the time or patience to do them myself, even though i have in the past, it's just easier for me to let ken do everything.
haven't had a problem since.

a-arms.JPG
I ordered them. It says it take a few days for them to powdercoat them, then they ship. I admit I was nervous paying for them, but I'm doing this thing right and how I want it. The wife wasn't even mad! She's happy I got something I wanted :)

Reactions: bansheedave
I talked to Ken today. My cylinder and head are done. I'm going to tear into my bottom end this weekend, and send my crankshaft in to get rebuilt. I'm going to change everything down there, all bearings and seals.

I thought about it, after the first call, I won a great prize with some Cylinder porting and Cut head. Why Mess it all up because I have no Idea whats going on in my bottom end! I called Ken back, and he agreed. Why chance the unknown? So once the snow melts, and it finally warms up, I'll have a damn solid Blaster, that I know was built right.

Ken, Thanks for helping and answering the phone. I'll be talking to you soon!

Fred
Me and wifeblaster feel the same way..If you have it apart n have the money might as well make sure its all good and fresh.. might take a lil longer and cost few more dollars!! But worth the piece of mind

Hell yeah, have seen first hand what happens if they are not. Lucky for the rider it was a slow speeds.
mine came apart in the air jumping a tabletop. good thing it was sandy and i didnt crash. i put up a pic in one of harleys posts. i believe it is in the yamaha section.good pic i might add

make sure to loc tite the heim joint pin nut.
Thanks Dave! I will be sure to do that. I have 2 new tubes of loc-tite coming this week in an order I placed.

I'm going to start disassembling my bottom end. I'm going to get it to the point I need to split the cases , then stop, since my case splitter will not be here untill Tuesday.

What I'm planning to do is take everything apart, mark it and label it, put it in labeled ziplock bags, draw a diagram of where it goes, and what it is. Hopefully I can have this crankshaft out in the mail by late next week.

My Dad has a partswasher, so I plan on taking my cases to his house and getting them cleaned well.

I have the cases are almost ready to split. I can't find my snap ring pliers, but my buddy at work is bringing his in for me tomorrow. I took everything out, put it in ziplocs and labled them. I did find out one trick today. The phillips head case screws that were packed with mud and grime can be picked clean with an Army surplus Dental pick set. I have one for cleaning guns. It really worked out well. Here are some pics.
IMG_0332[1].JPG
IMG_0333[1].JPG
IMG_0335[1].JPG
IMG_0336[1].JPG
IMG_0337[1].JPG

Clicked the wrong button. Here are the rest of the pics. What I did find today, was some crap in the Main bearings, small pieces of aluminum. When I got this blaster, the piston was intact, just the rings were blown. I had it bored and got a new one. Only thing I can figure, one of the top ends before me must have shattered a piston, and that got in there. Glad That its going to be ok now. Hopefully my splitter, and all the other stuff I ordered shows up tomorrow or tuesday. I really would like to have this thing in the mail this week!
IMG_0338[1].JPG
IMG_0339[1].JPG
IMG_0340[1].JPG
IMG_0341[1].JPG

lookin good I got my water pump impeller[vitos billet]in today and waiting for wife to return home so I can install my tusk clutch kit
That's great! I got alot done over the last 2 days. Now I need to clean up my garage! The kid who bought the $350 blue blaster we flipped picked it up today, So I finally got some more room back in there.