2005 Blaster Rebuild

dirtysquared

DirtyDirty
Jun 30, 2013
South Western PA
I picked up a 2005 blaster sunday for $350 with a title. The Kid told me it just quit running. I got it home, and started breaking it down. No spark. So I eliminated the TORS and the Parking brake and I got it. Then I did a compression test on the cylinder, 35psi.

After taking day off of working on the bike, My friend and I pulled the head and cylinder to find a blown ring and a damaged piston and very, very slightly scored cylinder.

Im ordering a ring / piston kit,and a few other goodies to get her running again.

I have not rebuilt a bike in years, and I forgot how much I love doing it. My wife even said I've been happier the last few days! Im going to try and upload a few pics of the bike now all broken down, I wish I would have got one when brought it home, but I just found this site and I love it so far!

Fred
View attachment IMG_0116.jpg

View attachment IMG_0117.jpg

View attachment IMG_0119.jpg

View attachment IMG_0120.jpg

View attachment IMG_0122.jpg

Great find. I usually do 2-3 Quads/Bikes a year, it gets addictive. Looks like we're from the same parts, I'm just around the corner in Bentleyville.

What top end kit did you order?

And x2 on the leakdown, it's saved me more than a few times.

I was leaning more towards a wiseco . The leak down tester is also a necessity! The guy who helps me has one. Thanks for your input. Do you guys have any preference on top end kits?

I'm Still chugging along on the rebuild. I took the cylinder this morning to my local bike shop. I've Known the owner since I was a kid and he is doing machine work for me. He is also ordering me a Wiseco Piston Kit.

So far I've done the TORS delete, Disabled the parking brake, Oil Injection block off, put on a new grab bar and bumper, Rebuilt the rear brake caliper, and Put on Fmf PowerCore 2 Silencer.

I refinished the plastics, and started making my custon heel guards. Ill put a pic up of my half finished Heel guards. I am using Aluminum barstock and Nylon strapping. Let me know what you guys think.

Those heel guards look pretty good I:I

I say you clean the air filter thats in the air box, and if its the stock one, trash it!

What year is it? The plastics look very clean :D

Its an 05, a that filter is getting trashed. I ordered a new unifilter. Its sitting there cause my 5 year old daughter helps me, so I give her a tool and a part and she "works" on it. Its fun, she tells all her little friends that her and dad are building a "mootor-ssyklel" I just hope she still wants to help me in 10 years!

Got it assembled today. Tomorrow night should be leakdown day, but I promised my neighbor I'd help him put in a new kitchen floor. Looking like Saturday should be the day I have it all back together, minus the headlight and hood. Im waiting for my Jets to come in also. Here are a few pics of the cylinder, head and 67mm wiseco piston. I also got some Maxima Super M Premix oil, and the BellRay Gearsaver oil that I've read about. Here are a few pics of tonight's doings

She is all put back together minus the the hood and headlight. Today I leak down tested, and reassembled. I found out that I had a bad reed cage gasket on my leakdown, and also a bad air pressure gauge. Out of everything that could go wrong, the gauge was sprung. never moved off of zero, So off to walmart I went to get a new one. It held 7 psi for 10minutes no problem after I get everything straightened out. My daughter Put 2 stickers on it too. Tomorrow is going to be first startup.

Todays update

I got everything ready to go outside and start up. After about 5 kicks it started running. Things were going great, then the motor started revving out of control. I had to put it in ger and hold the breaks to stop it. at first I figured I got an airleak, So after another leak test, it was still good. After looking into it further, I found that something is wrong with the carb I have on it. I think a slider is messed up, I put the extra carb I have on and no problems. Ive got a nice idle, and its running great! I'm now starting the break in procedures. Im really happy so far with this build. I still have along way to go, but I'm proud to say that I built it. Ill post more pics tomorrow when I get the hood on.

Fred

Thanks on the Butterfly sticker. The Right tank side has a TIE fighter chasing the Millenium Falcon. So far i got the Headlight and hood put on that I got From Goodman on here. It Looks Like Optimus Prime with the Blue and Red plastics . I Might go with a Transformers Theme for the rest of it. Not sure Yet. Ill take a few pics after I cut the grass. I might go down to my farm to keep breaking it in. I have a nice flat dirt road I can ride on for awhile. So far the motor is running nice. My Main focus was to get it Up and Running before winter. My winter Plans are an extended swinger, some extended a-arms, 400ex shock,.

I really Caught the Blaster sickness.

My brother is coming in this weekend. We will be planning a ride sometime at the end of the month or over labor day weekend. Once we set plans up, I'll put up a post.

Fred