2005 Blaster Rebuild

All the stuff came in Today. The yfz heelguard order got messed up. They sent me 2 stator side heelguards. One was an older one with the tabs broken off. I contacted the seller, and am awaiting their reply.

back to the good stuff. I started mocking up the yfz heelguards and the nerf bars. Looks like the only thing I will need to do is trim off some of the "ear" of the heelguard. I'm going to mark it with a sharpie, then take my time and cut it to the contour. The yfz mounting Brackets that they sent me look like I should be able to modify them to hit the factory heel guard mounts on the frame.

I took off my old rear shock, cut off the plastic mounting tab, and drilled the bottom hole out to as close to 12mm as I have available. My KOR bushings will be here soon!

Things are shaping up....Talked with Ken yesterday, said my porting is looking good!

Kevin, I tried to take some pics for you, but it bolted up really easy and kind of feel into place of what I need to do. I don't iimagine that you will have any problems with it at all.

The Pics..

that actually looks really good, i may have to go that route. i gotta mount the nerfs and see where the factory heel guards interfere. did you notice any interference?

also im assuming that since you got only stator side you can't comment on the kickstarting clearance on the clutch cover side with the new heel guards

All the stuff came in Today. The yfz heelguard order got messed up. They sent me 2 stator side heelguards. One was an older one with the tabs broken off. I contacted the seller, and am awaiting their reply.

back to the good stuff. I started mocking up the yfz heelguards and the nerf bars. Looks like the only thing I will need to do is trim off some of the "ear" of the heelguard. I'm going to mark it with a sharpie, then take my time and cut it to the contour. The yfz mounting Brackets that they sent me look like I should be able to modify them to hit the factory heel guard mounts on the frame.

I took off my old rear shock, cut off the plastic mounting tab, and drilled the bottom hole out to as close to 12mm as I have available. My KOR bushings will be here soon!

Things are shaping up....Talked with Ken yesterday, said my porting is looking good!

Kevin, I tried to take some pics for you, but it bolted up really easy and kind of feel into place of what I need to do. I don't iimagine that you will have any problems with it at all.

The Pics..

that actually looks really good, i may have to go that route. i gotta mount the nerfs and see where the factory heel guards interfere. did you notice any interference?

also im assuming that since you got only stator side you can't comment on the kickstarting clearance on the clutch cover side with the new heel guards

The factory heel guards are off on mine, So no interference there. The Yfz's wouldn't bolt up with the factory ones still there. I can put the factory heelguard back on the kicker side, and see what the nerfs do and let you know.
Once I get my order straightened out, I'll definitely let you know about the kickstarter side.

So far so good though, just minor trimming on the YFZ heel guards should do it. I really like the amount of protection that this is going to provide me, Plus it looks pretty nice.

I think its a pretty good cheap upgrade so far....pending I get the right parts!

The seller contacted me back. He had a mix up and sent me the wrong one. The correct one is in the mail now and he gave me a tracking #. That went easy, he was a honest guy, and mistakes happen.

I've worked so much OT the last 2 weeks, I'm going to buy my ASR's next week. I think I'm going to go with the black standard travel ones.

Not much left, and I'm done!

Not much left, and I'm done!

did you post that just for your wife to see ?
i've said that every year since joining here.
it's never done once bitten :)

lookin good fred, you'll be just fine with the standard ASR's

lookin good fred, you'll be just fine with the standard ASR's[/quote]
did you post that just for your wife to see ?
i've said that every year since joining here.
it's never done once bitten :)

lookin good fred, you'll be just fine with the standard ASR's

Yes I did, just in case she creeps on BF! If I order anything else, I'm going to say its for Crazy Legs PW50!!!!

I call her Crazy Legs cause when she was a baby she would kick all around and looked like a breakdancer. It just stuck:D

I cut the heel guard to allow the nerf bar to mount up right. Worked out pretty good. I have one spot where the dremel tool slipped a bit, but its not too noticeable and I'i'm sure will get packed with mud soon.

IMG_0313[1].JPG
This is the trim contour for the Nerf Bar. I cut it with My dremel tool with one of those mulit purpose cutting bits (looks Like a drill bit).
IMG_0313[1].JPG
Nerf Bolted up.
IMG_0314[1].JPG

last post went crazy on me.
IMG_0315[1].JPG
This is where I got alittle bit wide on the back. I'm not too worried about it.
IMG_0316[1].JPG
It really wasn't hard to do at all. I'm going to start making the top bracket to allow it to bolt to the frame. I;m using the stock 450 mounting bracket, and bending, drilling new holes to allow it to fit.

IMG_0317[1].JPG
My idea with the Yfz mounts was almost impossible for me to do. I used some aluminum strips that I had laying around from my old heel quards. I cut a straight longer piece at first. Drilled it to the factory heel guard mount, then bent it into place to the YFZ top mount eyelet.
IMG_0318[1].JPG
Bent in place and cut to length.
IMG_0319[1].JPG
My Ghetto way of clamping it in place.
IMG_0320[1].JPG
It was already drilled, But I wanted to show how I did it.
IMG_0322[1].JPG
Bolted up.
IMG_0323[1].JPG
I used my dremel to cut the aluminum strip so it didn't have jagged edges, and it follows the eyelet on the Heel guard.

Its it pretty sturdy with the top bolted up.

Reactions: bummer981
Good job it looks good!! It can be a pain in the $#* sometimes doing nothing but turning wrenches but when its all done there is nothing better then having the piece of mind knowing its been down right and everything has been looked over and fixed..nothing worse then being back in the woods and thinking the whole time ( when is something gonna break)..good job now come on warm weather so we can all rip these time consuming and money pits up!!!!

Good job it looks good!! It can be a pain in the $#* sometimes doing nothing but turning wrenches but when its all done there is nothing better then having the piece of mind knowing its been down right and everything has been looked over and fixed..nothing worse then being back in the woods and thinking the whole time ( when is something gonna break)..good job now come on warm weather so we can all rip these time consuming and money pits up!!!!

Can't wait to do some riding! Shannon had me doing house work all weekend!!

Looks great dirty. Coming along nicely.

Thanks guys! I hope this will help someone out that wants to upgrade their heel guards.

I set my rear fenders on and snapped a few pics so there is a feeling of what it will look like when done.
IMG_0324[1].JPG
IMG_0325[1].JPG
IMG_0326[1].JPG
I sat on it and moved my feet all around, trying to get them to go back or through. It's pretty safe. Accidents can happen, but I think this will lower the risk alot.

You only posted pictures of one side, did you wreck the other side? lol

Looking good, hope its together soon I:I (<--- that better be added soon)

You mentioned a ride? When are you thinking?

You only posted pictures of one side, did you wreck the other side? lol

Looking good, hope its together soon I:I (<--- that better be added soon)

You mentioned a ride? When are you thinking?
only one side, cause the other one is in the mail still! The seller got my order messed up and shipped me only one side. But it was corrected and the other one sent out.

I put a post up of the ride details in off topic. Hopefully you and Giz can drive a few hundred miles!

Did the kicker side today. I had to cut the heel guard for the brake lever. I also had to cut it out for the nerf. I cut this one alittle bit big along the nerf. I thought I mocked it up good, but ended up with a bigger gap than I wanted. We'll see how it goes once its all back together.
IMG_0328[1].JPG
IMG_0330[1].JPG