XJ550 Blaster

this thing is bas ass. tell me where i can get one of those 50t back sprockets!!

Parts Unlimited. (see the link below) Yamaha was nice enough to use the same sprocket on a lot of motorcycles too. So that 50 tooth is really a cross reference to a dirt bike. They list up to a 52 tooth for most Yamaha quads. Any dealer should be able to order it. It doesn't have to be a Yamaha dealer. Are you sure you want a 50T?

http://www.parts-unlimited.com/part/getItemDetails.do?partIds[]=201806

Below is a start to my new harness. Lower left is my new fuse box. It's always useful to cut a harness out of an old car before it's send to the scrap yard.

wire1.jpg

hey i think ends and the little heat shrink stuff is expensive for a small amount at like auto zone so i went to harbor freight if you know what that is there ends are actually good and i got a set of 500 for like 8 bucks

hey i think ends and the little heat shrink stuff is expensive for a small amount at like auto zone so i went to harbor freight if you know what that is there ends are actually good and i got a set of 500 for like 8 bucks

Thats where I got the heatshrink from. The crimp terminals are from a site called Mike's XS. Its the same spec hardware Yamaha uses to make their bike harnesses. They work a lot better than the standard crimp terminals you can buy at a hardware store.

Hows it sound now?

Not bad. I might keep them on there full time. I got some upperend sounds going on. You can hear near the end there. The timing chain is fully adjusted so i'm going to pull the motor out of the frame and see if something is up with the valves or timing chain tensioner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not bad. I might keep them on there full time. I got some upperend sounds going on. You can hear near the end there. The timing chain is fully adjusted so i'm going to pull the motor out of the frame and see if something is up with the valves or timing chain tensioner.

YouTube - Yamaha Blaster 550 quit mufflers

I think it sounds very nice, might as well just keep them on. You like the power it is giving you?

I think it sounds very nice, might as well just keep them on. You like the power it is giving you?

I didn't get a chance to ride it. The motor came out to shim the valves and replace the valve cover gasket. I also had a tick so wanted to check all the cam bearings. Everything looked good. 5 out of 8 valves will need to be re-shimed (tight). The motor has close 19,000 miles on it (18,800 miles on the speedo when i took it out of the motorcycle) so i'm thinking it was due for a valve adjustment.

It seems like my tick/knock was caused by the hydraulic primary chain tensioner. I guess this motor is known for that chain slap sound at low RPM. That explains why I didn't hear it until after I synced the carbs. I was never able to have it idle below 1500 until after the sync. Anyways, I have 7 out of 8 valve shims installed. Shim #8 will have to wait until next week due to an error in my math.

valves-done.jpg