XJ550 Blaster

79xs

Jul 21, 2010
Southeast Wisconsin
Hello, I'm new here. :D I thought I would share my newest project. Let me know what you guys think. Motor is an Xj550 4cyl 6 speed.

xjmotor.jpg

XJ4.jpg

XJ3.jpg

Reactions: Built Modiphyd
haha looks like you are doing a nice job with the swap but its too big in my opinion. im sure its gonna be fast as hell though I:I I:I

ya welcome with that big ass motor id extend the frame and drag it lol
but goood luck1 i like it

I'm not sure if I trust my welding on a swingarm yet. I'm worried enough about the frame. I really want it to be safe.. well other than the whole speed problem.. I heard the 200 dollar swingarms on ebay are not the best and I'm trying to keep the costs down. Maybe I could get the 200 dollar swingarm and beef it up? I do plan to install a rear shock off a 400ex or yfz and a banshee axle.

This all happened by chance.... I mostly work on bikes and I got a blown up 2003 blaster for fixing a bike. The blaster motor needed a new crank/piston and a bore. Parts of the piston were in the crank case. When I got the motor open I noticed a small crack in the case right under the crank. I guess parts of the piston must of been bashed into it. Sooo... I had a mid 90s blaster frame sitting around so I thought it would be a safe pratice swap. I could always move all the parts back onto the 2003 frame if I was going to return it to stock.

looks nice man. what's the plan for the gas tank?

The gas tank should fit once I shim it up a bit. I have to wait until I finish the motor mounts to test fit it again. I'm trying to make the ATV look as normal as I can. (other than upgraded shocks, longer swingarm and huge motor). I want it to look like a blaster with a big motor.... I'm trying to stay away from making it looked too hacked up or like a motorcycle/atv mix. :D

welcome to the site...that is a sick swap but IMO its gonna worthless other that in a straight line..youl never be able to open it up in the woods....but yb200 extends swingarms for around 125-150...get ahold of him im sure he can hook you up....

GUSSET THE HELL OUT OF THE FRAME!!!!!! . Yeah extend the swinger 6" and get some +3 a arms and call it the VELOCIBLASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got some more work done on Saturday night. By 2am I tried to grind my own finger off so I called it a night. I also went a little crazy with the rear motor mounts.

xj6.JPG

XJ7.JPG

XJ8.JPG

I did a ton of grinding and double checked all the welds. Some areas of the frame had rust inside and caused me some problems. The front motor mounts took me a long time. They unbolt and are adjustable. It didn't help that I had the motor land on my index finger when trying to do the 100th test fit.

XJ12.jpg

XJ10.jpg

XJ11.JPG

Reactions: Built Modiphyd