XJ550 Blaster

Dynatek makes a launch controler I could hook up to the stock ignition unit. I'm not sure how well I would do with drag racing though.. once you are in a full mod class you run into all kinds of crazy stuff. If they had a class for 600cc air-cooled I might have a fighting chance..

I really made the quad for the look/sound. Someone can roll up in a brand new MX ready YFZ450 and everyone just kind of gives it a look and thats about it .. We all know it's nice as hell but the common weekend warrior might not know its 10 times better than the old quad sitting next ot it... BUT... you hear the echo of what sounds like a street bike in the woods and see a blaster.. it pulls people in.

Last edited:
I found a tank to mount under the plastics. It will work perfect until I can finish making the real tank. I also switched to a igniton key off a Yamaha snowmbile. It works just like a key on a car.. one click forward for on.. hold forward to start. I'll have to come up with a plan for the tach and dash lights tomorrow. I have a top view picture that shows just how well that 550 fits in the frame..

top.jpg

Pipes are bolted up to the frame. No more wire holding them on.

rear.JPG

wide.JPG

Okay.. so maybe I lied about staying out of the mud... it seems like the gas tank cover helps keep 80% of the mud/water off the pods this time.

mud.JPG

how much do u have in to this thing

Under $700 total. I was traded a blown 2004 blaster for some motorcycle repair.. After some inspection I knew it would need a crank, piston, and a re-bore. I also found a small crack in the crank case. With that in mind I called up a buddy of mine that had an old 1989 blaster frame sitting in his back yard... so I had nothing to lose. I kept the 2004 frame as-in and used the 89 frame for my motor swap.

Okay.. its been a few months since I made any real build updates. Over winter I started making new collectors for the exhaust pipes.

My old setup was kind of restrictive for the inside cylinders: The outside cylinders had stright pipes that went to the rear of the ATV. (One on each side of the ATV Cyl 1-2 3-4) The inside headers flowed into this pipe via a 60-80 degree angle (not the best).

With the new setup both the inside and outside headers flow directly into 3 inch pipes that were crushed into an oval shape to take the headers. That pipe is then is reduced down. I'm still using the D&D megaphones for (un)mufflers I'll take a few pictures of them tonight. Also, the new collectors gave it a deeper sounding idle.

In the theme of keeping the blaster looking simple, I also added new natural and oil lights. (they are below the tach at around 3k rpm)
new%20lights.jpg

Here are some pictures of the new pipe setup.

New%20Pipes%20left.jpg

full%20view.jpg

top-new.jpg

new%20pipes%20right.jpg

Time for some new gearing.

The gearing I used for the first few weeks was a 16 tooth front and 40 rear. I switched to 16-42 late last year. The gearing is still way too high. It took a while but I was able to source a 15 tooth front sprocket for my motor. It should be here by Friday. Below are some graphs of my gearing. 16-42, 15-42, 15-50. The last graph is of a stock YFZ 450. Let me know what you think.

16-42%20(Medium).jpg

15-42%20(Medium).jpg

15-50%20(Medium).jpg

YFZ-gear%20(Medium).jpg

Nice work, love the sound its the mad'est 4 stroke ever are u still using the bikes twist throttle or are u switching to thumb throttle ? Oh and that seat is unreal the state of it u need to change it or get a new one but apart from that I:I

Very sweet......Can you make some more videos. Maybe put some new tires to see how far you can make a roost go......

Nice work, love the sound its the mad'est 4 stroke ever are u still using the bikes twist throttle or are u switching to thumb throttle ? Oh and that seat is unreal the state of it u need to change it or get a new one but apart from that I:I

Thanks. I think it sounds pretty slick too. It still has that 70s bike sound. Little deeper than modern bike motors.

I had a twist throttle but it wasn't very safe. The throttle had such a long pull that you had to re-grip.

as for the seat.. the quad was sitting in a yard for 3 years when I saved it. I might buy a seat cover for it soon.