XJ550 Blaster

Got the Banshee axle installed. Looks much better. Front spacers should be here in a few days.

banshee_axle.jpg

I did not have the quad running until the end of summer in 2010.. So I found out this year that it does not enjoy July weather. I added a small but high power cooling fan. I'll have to see how much it helps this weekend.

CoolingFan.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not hatin but I can't imagine that fan doing much. do you have air scoops?
Also running alcohol would end any cooling problems.

very cool build! I based my sub frame off of your idea kind of. I used a 80 xs400 twin. Runs and goes awesome. I have issues with the carbs on steep hills and violent impacts have you run across this? looking for a off road carb set up that might work better. Maybe a raptor 660 setup?

very cool build! I based my sub frame off of your idea kind of. I used a 80 xs400 twin. Runs and goes awesome. I have issues with the carbs on steep hills and violent impacts have you run across this? looking for a off road carb set up that might work better. Maybe a raptor 660 setup?

Yes, I do seem to have a problem with some hills. It seems to happen more once I have been riding for a half hour or so. I swear sometimes it would know i was getting close to a hill and would start to stall out early. I know some bike manuals use to have a max hill grade value in them.. i can't find any examples right now.

Based off the size and spacing of the intake boots on the xs400, 660 carbs might be hard to line up, but maybe two carbs would work. maybe use a throttle cable off a snowmobile to link them together. I know Honda foremans run carbs that might fit right on your intakes. Also Grizzley carbs.

I won a DynaTek DRL-400 2-stage rev limiter for 30 bucks on ebay. I couldn't pass that up. I needed a rev limiter anyways. The limiter has dials for a low RPM limit and a high RPM limit. When holding the clutch the engine will only rev to the lower limit. Once the clutch is relased it will rev to the higher limit. The only problem is that the high limit on the DRL-400 is 10,000 rpm and higher. The true redline on my motor is 9600. My plan is to have a switch that makes the unit stay in launch mode, then I will dial my low RPM up to 9500 for normal riding. The thing is really easy to over-rev in the mud or when doing burnouts.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you are saying true redline do you mean that's all that engine can run or do you mean that that is where stock redline is. Many aftermarket cdis will raise revlimits 1000 or more over stock so if 9600 is stock redline I could imagine It would pull 10000. Maybe not. Food for thought

When you are saying true redline do you mean that's all that engine can run or do you mean that that is where stock redline is. Many aftermarket cdis will raise revlimits 1000 or more over stock so if 9600 is stock redline I could imagine It would pull 10000. Maybe not. Food for thought

The motor has no factory rev limiter....So it will rev until the valves float or the rods come off the crank. 9500 is where the stock tach showed the redline. Power dips down after 8500 or so.