playing with electricity at work

Feb 18, 2010
Texas
just a little short video clip of me at work energizing some new wire we pulled in. its 14,400 volts. i made a video that had an arc that drawed about 6 inches away but my phone screwed up and the video didnt save. just a little something from my line of work thats kinda cool or is to me I:I

Last edited by a moderator:
Never done line work but have done a little high voltage industrial work. It's kinda a rush working with voltage that can make you look like a human flash bulb if you screw up.lol.

cool stuff bro, i never knew you guys energized them live, just figured there was a switch to be thrown before making the connection

highest i've ever fooled with was 600v,
and used to have to go once a year, to re-tighten the main lugs in a 4000 amp service cabinet, while the nursing home was live and drawing power
shoulda seen the look on a young apprentices eyes once when i handed him a 2x4, and told him to hit a "home run" with me, if he saw my hair standing up

also took 480 in one arm and out the other once, someone had installed a meter upside down, when i pulled the meter the the bypass switch fell, closing the circut, got HAMMERED when i went to work in the junction box,
this was outside, in the early winter, while standing in water
i still say i wouldnt be here if it wasnt for brand new goretex boots

cool stuff bro, i never knew you guys energized them live, just figured there was a switch to be thrown before making the connection

highest i've ever fooled with was 600v,
and used to have to go once a year, to re-tighten the main lugs in a 4000 amp service cabinet, while the nursing home was live and drawing power
shoulda seen the look on a young apprentices eyes once when i handed him a 2x4, and told him to hit a "home run" with me, if he saw my hair standing up

also took 480 in one arm and out the other once, someone had installed a meter upside down, when i pulled the meter the the bypass switch fell, closing the circut, got HAMMERED when i went to work in the junction box,
this was outside, in the early winter, while standing in water
i still say i wouldnt be here if it wasnt for brand new goretex boots

when there is a load on the line we have switches that we use to pick up the load and anytime we break a load we have a load break tool we have to use. there was no load on that line i energized thats the only reason i put it on by hand. pretty cool to see some of the fires when you open a switch that has a good load, the fire will follow the barrel till its almost all the way open sometimes. i had an arc follow about 5 foot away when i was pulling a jumper off line with a longer stick, i didnt think it was ever gonna go out

.....shoulda seen the look on a young apprentices eyes once when i handed him a 2x4, and told him to hit a "home run" with me, if he saw my hair standing up

Thats pretty scary...... Seriously..... If that was me holding that 2 by 4, I'd probably sh*t in my pants.

I play with the old type valve transmitters which use 1200 volts to make them operate.

Take it from me, touch one of them with your bare hands, and it pins you against the wall (ouch) :(