Blasterpiece Theater

MercMenace

Mountain Man
Apr 27, 2014
Cheyenne, Wy
Kinda sad when you spend as much time thinking of a name for your bike than you do riding/wrenching on it.

But that's what I got. It's my Blasterpiece.

Thanks to KOR and all you guys here I have a refreshed bottom, new .030 bore and an completely airtight engine. I could not be happier.

Did several heat cycles (ok maybe 6 or 7) Had a couple crappy rainy days so I sat in the garage and just listened to it purr and drank beer. Couldn't ride so why the hell not. I've run 2 tanks of gas riding around the neighborhood scaring the old ladies and their cats :). and took it out to a buddies place to do my chops.

stock pilot, 250 Main and needle is at middle clip. Did 3 plugs just to make sure I was consistent.
All three plugs were the color of Beyonce's skin with a slight tan. Did another Leak test (Blaaster has me paranoid) no leaks. Perfect!!

I could not be happier.

Took it out into the mountains and had a blast. I got Jon my 12 year old on it and it scared the hell out of him. He did great on flat areas seemed to really like riding it. Out in the Mountains WHOLE different story. He hit a rut and just about lost it, says the shifting screwed him up. I will have to work with him more. Thinking a sporttrax or something auto/semi auto will be better for him for now.

Long story short. The Blaster is officially mine. Hence the build page.

Wish list:
+2 or +3 Extended swingarm
Banshee axel and hubs
Hydros
DMC Alien Ehaust
13/41 Gears
KOR port work and bottom end rebuild
+3 up 1 A arms

Make it pretty. :)

Last edited:
Riding up here is SOOOO different than back in Minnesota. A lot drier to start with and colder on average.
rocks instead of mud. Seems like the trails are a bit more technical too. Really had to adjust my riding style.

I notice i pretty rarely get into 6th gear and 5th isn't used a whole lot either. I seem to spend most of my time in 2nd-4th. And I can stay on the pipe almost the whole time. I love the response of this baby most especially if I stay in the powerband.

The guys I am riding with were laughing at me when i unloaded The Blasterpiece. They all ride 400 Yamaha Kodiaks and 600 Polaris , you know the big Auto 4x4s. They stopped laughing when I started drift passing them in the corners while shifting into 3rd. :) Stopped laughing of course until I came to a dead end and had to get off, pull it backwards and spin it around. They all thought that was quite comical. Bastards!

Needless to say I had a BLAST. Machine ran great, guys were awesome.

I will get some pics up of the trails up here as soon as I get my new phone. I notice there are a lot of East Coasters on here so I guess I'll thrown in some Mountain flair as I progress. Oh yeah... Phone got ran over too!! They thought that was pretty damn funny too! Bastards!!

Got a lot of great ideas for how to improve the quad. Suspension and stability are top of the list. I will update as I move along and get ideas / questions for you guys.

Reactions: bansheedave
Thats great your enjoying it! There isn't a better feeling that riding something that you put your blood, sweat, and beers into. I'll follow along to see what you keep doing to it.

Reactions: bansheedave
So far the only mods ive done is to add a CFM scoop and unfortunately I had to shave the front fenders to get rid of a big nasty crack. Other than that its been fixing P.O. neglect.

I am really enjoying it ALOT.

Now that I have decided it as mine, I can't
stop thinking about wherever to go from here.

First thing first, do I widen it for stability or upgrade shocks for comfort or do the 2 need to go hand in hand?

i've always done shocks first, but upon blowing a set of front works and throwing stockers back on my black bike, then adding wheel spacers, i found the wider stance softens the stock shocks to where they're almost bearable.

so, that doesn't answer your question.
going with shocks first is amazing, but going wider will soften your stock shocks.
quick and cheap way to go wider and see if it's enuf for you until shocks can be had is to get the stud spacers from ebay

Widening on stock shocks will put more leverage on them, thats why they seem softer. because they are.

Find a used set of works shocks and you are golden. afford some elkas and you will be riding on clouds (banshee FRONT shocks are same length as blaster)

If you want to try going wider, i suggest a +5 (2.5 each side) stud spacers
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATV-5-Wheel...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4864f3fe1b&vxp=mtr

heres some shocks
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WORKS-dual-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item20e708aa44&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-YFZ4...Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c41cc01eb&vxp=mtr

where in MN are you located? I was near st.cloud. now out in the oil of ND

Last edited by a moderator:
I did all my riding in southern Mn. Lived in Minneapolis for 10 years. I'm out in Wyoming now.

After researching here I definately want to go with the banshee rear. I think the spacers for the front.... but...

Do the spacers add stress like the wheel flip does?

yes they do, anything making the wheels father away from the hubs. also with studs you will have a lot of bump steer.

do studs for now, and go for a-arms later. ASR +3+1 is what a lot of people have. ASR is known for great customer service and products

I am going to play with it a bunch more this season. Keep dealing with the little issues as they get Identified. I know the rear axel is most in need as of now. Seals are deteriorated terribly. So I'm thinking the banshee axel is a must upgrade.

Next question here... do I go with banshee hubs or keep my stockers? Blasterpiece is a pre '03. Is there a hydro kit or will +03 hydros fit in an upcoming upgrade?

The banshee rear hubs offer a wider variety of wheels an tires, as they are the standard Yamaha bolt pattern, the blaster an tri-z are the only ones with the 4x100 pattern. But the banshee axle is a good choice I have one on both my blasters. As for brakes, hydros off a warrior or banshee will work if you make a adapter bracket, I have some made up if you need one, it bolts to the old cable caliper bracket. I would also very highly recommend a 400ex rear shock upgrade, makes world of difference, an is pretty cheap usually 50ish on eBay

Definately interested in the bracket pm me with price. Oddly enough... a few blocks from here are the train yards and over the years the kids have made a bmx track...ripping around that a few minutes ago and my brakes started stinking real bad. So now I'm at rear axle and brakes.

At this rate this thing will be brand new before I throw a single mod at it. :)

Coincidentally I see alot of stock blasters for sale on craigslist in the 1500 - 2000 range. I'm not talking rebuilt... ORIGINAL. I know people value their sh*t high, but what is the going rate for an untouched neglected original blaster?

If your looking for suspension upgrades, everyone has given you some good ideas.

last year when I got bit by the Blaster sickness, I ordered some wheel spacers. They worked fine. Then I stumbled across some works shocks, spent my wife's money on +3+1 a-arms, traded a blaster axle for a shee axle, and Got a great deal on a 450r shock, and a 400ex shock.

My point in that story is..just keep looking around and let things fall into place, unless your in a hurry to get it all done at once. These quads are fun to ride and have so much potential, it just really depends on your wallet and determination.

Keep getting idea's from here, you'll be happy with what you build!

Definately interested in the bracket pm me with price. Oddly enough... a few blocks from here are the train yards and over the years the kids have made a bmx track...ripping around that a few minutes ago and my brakes started stinking real bad. So now I'm at rear axle and brakes.

At this rate this thing will be brand new before I throw a single mod at it. :)

Coincidentally I see alot of stock blasters for sale on craigslist in the 1500 - 2000 range. I'm not talking rebuilt... ORIGINAL. I know people value their sh*t high, but what is the going rate for an untouched neglected original blaster?

Around me anywhere from $200 blown up to $1000 running. They really dont hold a good value here in SWPA.

Yeah im in no hurry. Money is not the issue.

I need to ride it as is for the season before I really start working on it. Im thinking over winter. My concern is doing it right.

I did the motor but it will never compare to sending it for a KOR rebuild. Right now I want to keep it peak through its (my) first season without being stranded.

I have a wishlist. +3+1 up front. +3 out the back. Every bell and whistles can throw at it. Realistically I want it to be perfect for me and the way I ride. Don't care if it's pretty (big lie) but that will come. Right now I want it to be mine.

I am going to use your idea for heel guards dirtysquared. That was a sic mod. I like this site, I want to learn from you guys that made all the mistakes (make some myself) and have a machine I can tear up trails with.

Good plan...enjoy it this season, and get it done over the winter. Thats how I did mine, and It turned out how I wanted it. Problem is I have more plans for next winter!

If you are enjoying that much now you will be 3 times as happy when you get some good mods on it.

Welcome to the forum.

Here are some pics finally. These are pics of when I first unloaded it.

First pic is at the POs house.

Front Fenders are still intact. That was in early April, it was the last day I had it started up prior to the rebuild.