Outerwears

giantvt104

Jan 6, 2012
deer park, ny
I had to remove my airbox cover for fitment of the 400ex shock. so i was looking into outwears air box covers. the velcro ones. i have a 2005 blaster with a stock airbox and stock style pro-filter. when i research them i find that they only seem to go up to 2002? i know alot changed between 02 and 03 but dont know whether or not the airbox did too? my question is will this outerwears fit on my 2005?

2002 YAMAHA YFS200 BLASTER 20-1024 - Outerwears, Inc. - Original manufacturer of Pre-Filters & Shockwears

Thanks guys.

all the outerwears listed for a blaster will fit any year blaster,
all airboxes/lids and filters are the same

but...there is no need to completely remove the lid, just cut off flush where the snorkel fits onto it

Ok cool. i didnt think the dimensions changed. wasnt sure though. so if i just cut the snorkel mount off and leave the airbox lid on will i lose the power increase that i got from taken the lid off? it seems no airbox lid makes a big power increase. from what i noticed when i test drove it last night. i just richened the mixture screw about 3/16 of a turn so i wouldnt have a lean condition. it seems like its a tiny bit of power loss at the very bottom but after that its noticeably increased the whole rest of the way up. i see on here people do alot of different things with that lid. i guess its finding a happy medium between max power and keeping the engine safe..

u can run the airbox off. thats what im doing now. but when i put my 400ex shock on, i just cut the part of the lid where the snorkle fit on. u most likly will have to rejet if u take the lid off. probs just one size up from where u r now. plug chop, and see if its runnin lean. if not, ur golden

Ok. Im running stock 230. For now until i get the jets ill cut off that snorckel inlet and put the lid back. Ill pass on roasting my internals. ill grab some different size jets and that velcro outwears. do some plug chops and fine tuning and than should be ok for no lid. Nice thanks for the info. I:I

/\/\/\/\
that sig pic makes me dizzy everytime i see it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok cool. i didnt think the dimensions changed. wasnt sure though. so if i just cut the snorkel mount off and leave the airbox lid on will i lose the power increase that i got from taken the lid off? it seems no airbox lid makes a big power increase. from what i noticed when i test drove it last night. i just richened the mixture screw about 3/16 of a turn so i wouldnt have a lean condition. it seems like its a tiny bit of power loss at the very bottom but after that its noticeably increased the whole rest of the way up. i see on here people do alot of different things with that lid. i guess its finding a happy medium between max power and keeping the engine safe..

You would have still have been lean on every other throttle opening.

A lean mixture can fool you by running extremly well, providing increased power, but it will eventually cost you heaps on a rebuild, because it can fry your piston.

Plug chops must be done with any modifications to intake or exhaust, to make sure you are safe.

You must change main jets for every increase in air movement on the carby side.

Removing the snorkel inlet could even put you in a leaner condition and require a larger main jet

Put that mixture screw back where it was, as it only adjust your idle.

ok i cut the snorkel tube on the airbox cover and put it back on. im gonna set the mixture back to where it was. i didnt think about the fact that the mix screw is only for like 0 - 1/4 opening or something like that. im going to get some larger jets like 240 250 260 the outwears. plug chops after that to verify im not f**king anything up :eek:. great thanks for the help guys.

Be wary that missing snorkel tube may call for a bigger main jet, dont ride until you have it confirmed by a plug chop.

It may not need a bigger jet, but I stick to a rule that, if I change anything with the intake side, I want to know wether the jetting is correct, it can be a very costly exercise if the jet is even one size on the lean side.

Sounds pretty logical to me. the last thing im tryin to do is roast somethin up.. is it as sensitive on the exhaust side. I know that when people switch to like a toomey or f7 etc they usually up that main to around + - 300?

usually guys end up between 300-340 with the toomey or f7 pipes

glad to see that you're concerned about the health and longevity of your machine! plug chops are the only way to verify what's going on inside.

and using a hacksaw and a drill works very very well to remove the threads on the plug so that you can get a better look at the porcelain

yeah i saw that people do that. it makes sense a 3 dollar loss for hundreds and hundreds of savings. not trying to kill my machine. trying to improve her. Thanks brandoz.

Sounds pretty logical to me. the last thing im tryin to do is roast somethin up.. is it as sensitive on the exhaust side. I know that when people switch to like a toomey or f7 etc they usually up that main to around + - 300?

It seems that no pipe is the same, if you change pipes be prepared to change the jetting to suit.

I run a DMC Alien and was staggered to find that I needed a #340 main, and the stock needle on the richest setting. I may add that I run a Castor 25:1 premix, with a Uni filter right on the carb throat.

Hey giant,
I ran an outerwares on my CFM box, they breathe extremely well but do not keep out water and fine particles. I have found that the outerwares wrap for the stock filter works better than the one on the air box. I have one on my daughters rappy (same filter as our blasters) and works great! I will get a pic of it tonight for comparison.

air-box-001.jpg

Hey giant,
I ran an outerwares on my CFM box, they breathe extremely well but do not keep out water and fine particles. I have found that the outerwares wrap for the stock filter works better than the one on the air box. I have one on my daughters rappy (same filter as our blasters) and works great! I will get a pic of it tonight for comparison.

air-box-001.jpg

Yeah thats makes alot of sense to me. Looking at your pic I can see right through. they def claim that it will keep water and debris out but how good could it be....? How well does the Filter wrap work for things like restriction and moisture and debris. Also i have stock style but its a pro filter looks to be the same size. You think it will work on that. Maybe i could get both filter and box cover. Double it up HAHA I:I. might start to restrict at that point though a little...