Moose Racing Oil Seal Kit

Braaaptor

Dec 1, 2009
Hamlet, NC
While gaskets and seals aren't a part you want to cheap out on during a rebuild, and I'll never use anything other than an OEM Yamaha cylinder base gasket, I decided to take a chance on a Moose Racing seal kit. And guess what? I like it!

This is a complete seal kit for the Blaster engine, including the countershaft seal, both crank seals, kickstarter seal, oil pump shaft seal (if needed), and the clutch actuator shaft seal. When I got the kit, I was impressed by the quality. I don't know 100% if the seals in the kit are made by the same manufacturer that makes the OEM Yamaha seals, but it looks that way. The seals are made of quality rubber and come with OE style metal garter springs. All of them fit properly and install easily. The right-side crankshaft seal is double-lipped with two garter springs, so you can be sure that its oil and air tight.

I have actually installed two Moose Racing seal kits over the years, and neither one has given any problems. The first was in my old 2002 Blaster, which was sold about a year ago. I am running the second kit in my 2005 Blasty as I type this. A year of hard riding later, and so far there's no air or oil leaks anywhere. (I leak-down test my engine annually, just to be on the safe side).

Bottom line? Since you have to buy OEM Yamaha seals individually, it makes sense to save a little money and buy a whole kit when doing a rebuild. I don't trust every seal kit out there, and I woudn't run a lot of the no-name ebay ones, but Moose Racing makes a good quality kit and I will buy/use another one on my next Blaster build.

Winderosa also makes a great seal kit, it's what i'm running in my blaster.

I just did a complete bottom end and used a moose kit. I noticed that the crank seals,(ones that count the most) are the same part as oem.

I have not run this bottom end yet... To be cont.

Dg