MY Extended swingarm

It ain't how much beautiful weld they lay down. It's the heat affected area in the tubing next to the weld that will break. You can even cause the same failure with a full weld at the end of reinforcement. IMHO.

exactly....thats why both of our +4 swingers first cracked around all the welds, is that too much heat for tubing or not enough?

exactly....thats why both of our +4 swingers first cracked around all the welds, is that too much heat for tubing or not enough?

It's the area where the liquid fill material blends with the metal in your swing arm. You have melted the swing arm metal and changed its structure. It will never be as strong as it was before being welded. Four butt joints leaves you with 8 weakened rings around your swingarm tubes :) My modded a-arms & swing arm have lasted years. I use inserts inside the tubes and spot weld through to the tubes a couple inches from the main weld. A little heavier but it holds up. Personally I wouldn't want the responsibility of welding on anyone else's suspension parts :) But that's just my opinion.

It's the area where the liquid fill material blends with the metal in your swing arm. You have melted the swing arm metal and changed its structure. It will never be as strong as it was before being welded. Four butt joints leaves you with 8 weakened rings around your swingarm tubes :) My modded a-arms & swing arm have lasted years. I use inserts inside the tubes and spot weld through to the tubes a couple inches from the main weld. A little heavier but it holds up. Personally I wouldn't want the responsibility of welding on anyone else's suspension parts :) But that's just my opinion.

i was saying the original weld from the swingarm shop are the ones the cracked.....and once i reinforced it, both of them have not had 1 prob since

I'm with you guys. He did an awsome job on the tubing. I would still worry about it. I just got a second stock swinger in that I a going to extend. I would think you would still need a fish plate over the top of both ends of the welds. i was thinking of cutting some lon diamonds and putting them on the out side and plating the in side. With my big butt on top of my welds, I am going to make damn sure it doesnt break.

Well, we went back to the shop today and did a little more work on the swinger. We added a plate on the bottom of the swing arm below the welds because of the concern all of you here showed with the welds breaking. It adds a little bit of weight, but not too much. At least I'll know it's more stable like that. We also welded in the cross member for the shock mounts. All that's left now is to fabricate the brackets for the shock and weld them onto the cross member. Here's the current pictures:

25ic9wj.jpg

j6o8xi.jpg

Only from the bottom which no one will see anyways.
Better safe then sorry right?
Your man did some nice welds- they look factory!

Yupp, my goal was a kind of factory look. That's why I had it done by a professional welder with professional equipment, in a factory he works in every day. I knew he would do a sweet job with it!

Reactions: yb200
the biggest thing that makes the welds look nice is they are using gas with the mig welder, instead of just flux core wire and no gas...all i can say is welding with gas is just SOOO nice compared to flux core wire lol..
welding is an artform and you dont have to be a pro to be good at it, but that was a smart idea for you to go to a pro if you werent confident in your own welding skills...

Heres factory for you...
stretched.jpg

I'm just f**cking with ya. Yours looks pretty good, hit it with some paint and that will clean it up some more.
That bottom plate looks like it could be a skid plate, just play it off as that and dont worry about what the other guys say, as long as it makes you happy and its functional

And Yb knows his sh*t, i've seen a couple swings arms he's done.

Good luck man.. u f***ed it up ... ur supposed to extend the back not extend the support that connect to ur rear shock!

Well if u like sittin low I guess its kool..

LOL WTF are you talkin about? STFU and get outta the forum if your gona bash sh*t. This forum is about helping others and giving advice and praise, not to bash people's work. I wouldn't come over to your thread and bash your hard work. yb200 has done a bunch of swingarms like this and has had no problems. I bet your are some kind of 14 year old prick who thinks he knows everything. Well I got news for you buddy. The people on this forum have hundreds of years of combined experience with this stuff and you don't even come close with your 31 posts. :D

I think he has a point. If the swingarm is longer and the shock length is the same, should'nt the mount on the arm have to be moved forward the same distance as the extension?

LOL, the shock mount is moved forward 4 inches, the dame length the swingarm is extended back. Read the description I wrote for the pictures and look at the pictures. There's a bar there for the shock mount but no brackets yet. ITS NOT DONE YET

we do the same thing we move the shock mount up ....for example +4 swingarm....the shock mount moves up 4 inches and so on with whatever size....so the shock mount will always be in the stocl position