MY Extended swingarm

nofxfan125

May 9, 2009
Freeland, PA
I have a friend who is a professional welder at Garland (The company who manufactures those industrial stoves) He's a professional welder for Garland, and he's making my extended swingarm! It's welded with a huge industrial welder and not a little crappy MIG in someone's garage. Here's 2 pics of it (taken with a cell phone) so far. It'll be finished Monday morning and I'll take nicer pictures and put them up then. All it needs now is the cross piece for the shock mount.

2446qsx.jpg

29wn2mo.jpg

looks sweet, do those extension pieces overlap the original tubing or just butt up to it????

Mine was welded with MY crappy little MIG welder in MY garage. It's got a seasons worth of abuse on it now.
If you don't reinforce those joints, it'll break. I don't care how nice the welding machine is.

Well, I haven't seen it yet. I told my friend to do the best he could and make it as strong as possible. I trust him. I'll let you all know how it is built when I get it on Monday. I do agree though that it is going to break if it is not overlapped. If it isn't I'm going to have him weld a plate or 2 on it.

OK I just talked to the guy building my swingarm. He says it's a beveled MIG weld with 100% penetration. I asked if he thinks it is going to hold up for jumps, and he said, "it ain't goin nowhere!" He talked to the engineer at the factory. Engineer says the joints are as strong, if not stronger than the metal itself, when welded with the machine they used. Just remember, these guys are professionals and they know their metal! haha.

Well amen to you, But dont come crying to us when it does break.

I would just weld up a couple of plates to it, cant do no harm just make it a hell of a lot safer

thats how I am welding my swingarm , full penetration welds are stronger than the tubing itself , a full penetration weld actually creates a weld bead on the inside of the tubing , thats the 1st pass . the 2 second passes fills the wider area of the gap , and the last pass is a wide cap pass , stronger than cat urine on the carpet in july

OK I just talked to the guy building my swingarm. He says it's a beveled MIG weld with 100% penetration. I asked if he thinks it is going to hold up for jumps, and he said, "it ain't goin nowhere!" He talked to the engineer at the factory. Engineer says the joints are as strong, if not stronger than the metal itself, when welded with the machine they used. Just remember, these guys are professionals and they know their metal! haha.

yep if they are engineers and professional welders with the big ass equipment and it has 100% full penetration that thing aint going nowhere!!! and its a really clean work i trust it!! This aint your typical local welder or friend. ANd yb does have some competition and a good one too LOL

thats how I am welding my swingarm , full penetration welds are stronger than the tubing itself , a full penetration weld actually creates a weld bead on the inside of the tubing , thats the 1st pass . the 2 second passes fills the wider area of the gap , and the last pass is a wide cap pass , stronger than cat urine on the carpet in july

Yup. Like I said, my guys know their sh*t. and LOL @ stronger than cat urine! HAHA :D

It ain't how much beautiful weld they lay down. It's the heat affected area in the tubing next to the weld that will break. You can even cause the same failure with a full weld at the end of reinforcement. IMHO.