Hobart Champion 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

sicivicdude

Apr 7, 2010
North Carolina
Well, it's not a blaster but it IS a full rebuild....

For those following the "new tools" pics/vids thread this is a repeat, but for those who haven't been here you go!

I went yesterday and traded a Lincoln Promig 135 100V mig welder and a 150cf Argon/CO2 bottle that was half full for a broken engine driven welder. The welder was listed on CL for $500 or trade for 3 point attachments. I made the pitch (mainly for giggles) expecting him not to even respond and much to my surprise, he was interested.

The welder he had is a 16 hp Hobart AC/DC CC/CV 225 amp welder. The guy owns a mobile home relocating company and some of his employees were moving from one site to another and one of them forgot to strap down the welder. It slid off the flat bed at about 10mph and hit on the back left corner. The main damage was taken by the shroud but the engine took a good whack as well. It broke the left side spark plug and oil filter adapter and bent the cooling air shroud.

hobart1.jpg

hobart2.jpg

The main damage, however, was from sitting since the incident..... 3 valves were stuck (both exhaust and one intake) and the whole engine unit is rusty here and there. The carburetor is dried out, the fuel left in the tank is funky, and the oil has sort of congealed....

I started yesterday by pulling off the engine shrouds and the oil filter adapter. I then tried to turn the engine over by hand and it would turn a few degrees and stop. I removed both spark plugs and poured marvel mystery oil down in each side and then pull the intake manifold and exhaust off. Examination revealed the stuck valves.

I poured marvel mystery oil down in each of the 4 ports and began to pull both heads. I ran into the first real trouble on the left side head when 3 of the head bolts were unusually tight (the rest unscrewed by hand once the torque was undone). Two of them came out with liberal amounts of penetrating fluid and bunches of "back and forth" threading. One wrung off in the block nearly smooth with the mating surface. I tried the usual, visegrips, heat, and more penetrating fluid and none of that helped. There just wasn't enough left hanging out to grab onto....

I decided to try the easy out (despite the knowledge of how much it took to wring it off....) so I got out the drill and proceeded to ruin the cutting surface on no less than 3 drill bits, two of them titanium nitride coated. I looked at the other bolts and wiped them down to reveal the marks on the surface..... grade 8!

I went and got the oxy-fuel torch (MORE HEAT!) and STILL didn't touch it. I decided more "help" was needed and consulted with a few folks on the BF chat last night.

I decided this morning to use the tools available to do what I could.... I put in a 1/4" pear shaped double cut tungsten carbide cutter in the air pencil grinder and went to town. After about three hours of lubricant spraying and burr grinding, I finally busted all the way through the bolt. I then over-drilled it to 21/64" and tapped the hole for a heli-coil installation

I also worked the crank back and forth until I freed up the stuck valves/guides (no damage, just cruddy stuck!) while the heads were off. I cleaned all of the piston crowns, valve faces, and intake and exhaust ports out while I was at it.

Now the engine turns over freely!

Anyway, onto the pictures:

All of the penetrating fluid I used on that headbolt pooled onto the floor below the engine and the general shape of the shop:

DSC00036.jpg

DSC00039.jpg

DSC00040.jpg

The left side cylinder, the bolt has already been ground out and the threads repaired. They're the top right corner ones.

DSC00038.jpg

The right side cylinder precleaning:

DSC00037.jpg

And the relevance is?

I understand that some part of the company that makes this machine also happens to make kitchen equipment, however, I have no plans of using this generator to power any kitchen equipment....

I think what he was trying to say was that it would be nice if it made sandwich's for you while you were welding.

it should run really well when you are done. sounds like a good deal. that is an expensive welder.

i do all my steel with a hobart 140 amp MIG. it is a good little machine.

I got a generator in similar condition about 10 yrs ago. It too flew out of the back of a rolling construction truck. Its a powerguard 6500. 11hp Honda. After some frame work and replacing rubber mounts and broken pieces throughout the unit,It still runs today. I had around $200 into it. Unlike here,my peers said I was crazy for tring to fix it. LOL

It either wasn't strapped down because it didn't run or sat around for a while after falling :eek:. Presumably it also has power outlets so if you have a power outage it WILL make you a sandwich I:I.

Seeing I don't know a lot about welding and HATE accronyms, what does CC/CV stand for? Constant Current/Constant Voltage? :-/

Still not a bad swap. I:I

I got a generator in similar condition about 10 yrs ago. It too flew out of the back of a rolling construction truck. Its a powerguard 6500. 11hp Honda. After some frame work and replacing rubber mounts and broken pieces throughout the unit,It still runs today. I had around $200 into it. Unlike here,my peers said I was crazy for tring to fix it. LOL

They all just know that all the "nay-saying" in the world isn't going to stop me MUHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!

I'm well on my way, I got a pair of heads on Ebay last night for $5 plus shipping. I'm going to be getting an oil filter adapter today for about $15 plus shipping. I've already got an oil change in a box at the house and a pair of spark plugs. Probably going to order a pair of wires for it today. Hopefully that's enough to get it running so I can make sure that the generator head is putting out. The PO said it was "in use" right before the tumble so I'm banking on the generator end working fine.

@Larry's Shee: the PO admitted that it's been sitting in his barn for about 2 years after the fall.... I believe him well enough...

Yes, CC/CV stands for Constant Current/ Constant Voltage. Two very distinct welding operations. Tig and stick are Constant Current where the amperage is set and the voltage swings as the arc changes. Mig welding is Constant Voltage where the voltage is set and the amperage swings as the arc changes.

Theoretically, with a HF start box (for tig welding) and a "backpack" wire feeder (for mig welding), this unit could act as the power supply for nearly any welding operation.

Does it have outlets built in to just use it as a generator?

Absolutely. It has two duplex 115V outlets and a single 240V 4 prong 35 amp "drier plug" outlet.

The downside to this as a generator is that the field excitation is adjustable. With most things that are adjustable, they're less efficient at certain things than others. The generator core on this unit is optimized for producing low voltage high amperage welding current and not "wall power".

To produce 240V 35A wall power, it CHEWS through gasoline at a reported 14 gallons in 8 hours. Really handy if you need a welder and generator in one place (as it saves from having two machines on the same truck) but not markedly efficient fuel wise.

Absolutely. It has two duplex 115V outlets and a single 240V 4 prong 35 amp "drier plug" outlet.

The downside to this as a generator is that the field excitation is adjustable. With most things that are adjustable, they're less efficient at certain things than others. The generator core on this unit is optimized for producing low voltage high amperage welding current and not "wall power".

To produce 240V 35A wall power, it CHEWS through gasoline at a reported 14 gallons in 8 hours. Really handy if you need a welder and generator in one place (as it saves from having two machines on the same truck) but not markedly efficient fuel wise.

Dang that will run my 'big machine' at work I:I
The dryer outlet is extra cool. I use a 10kw with a dryer outlet to power the house when the electric goes out (which happens too much here).

The dryer outlet is extra cool. I use a 10kw with a dryer outlet to power the house when the electric goes out (which happens too much here).

This is 8kW 100% duty cycle not "peak" rated electrical output like most generators. It will actually put out 33.3333333 amps continuous without overheating.

Status
Not open for further replies.