Metals class

schmidtsandwich

Sep 19, 2011
albertville mn
Im taking a class through school called Welding and Fabrication. at my disposal I have a tig, a mig, Hass cnc mill, a Haas cnc lathe, bridgeport mills, lathes, a foundry, a cnc plasma cutter, a hand plasma, a bunch of sheetmetal working presses, a spotwelder, a sand blaster, and a bunch of odds and ends. i have experience with all the machines in the shop, and could easily machine aluminum parts.

Anyone have any ideas of a smaller project i could fab up for my blaster? If I finish early or need something to do while waiting for parts, is there something that could make my blaster a better machine? Any help would be greatly appreciated, and plans would be awesome.

the metal frame guards that keep your boots from rubbing the frame?
Rear skid plate that is thick enough?
metal heel guards?
widening kit?

well, i wont have time to make all of that seeing as im already taking on a project. im building a gas powered "crusin cooler". its basicly a glorified go kart with a cooler strapped on top, but it should be a blast. im talking little projects that i could do on the side. i might mill a bar riser, or maybe some skid plates. as far as the piston goes, id rather not tear apart a good engine, but to each his own.

oil injection all the way, one less thing to worry about... i might fab custom bars seeing as we have a heck of a set of tubing benders, would be pretty cool to set custom rise and rake. I guess Ill see how the tri pans out and go from there.

hey ur from albertville, cool another in MN not too far from me

Well hell yeah! minnesota is where its at. blasterbuddy200 is a pretty close friend of mine who lives just across the way in St. Mike. he blew his blasty up, but once he re-builds it we will be rippin up appleton, spyder lake, red top, and possibly the paul bunyan trails this riding season. but for now, im a lone wolf http://www.blasterforum.com/images/smilies/frown.gif

how about throwing your flywheel on the lathe and lightening it. doing that will give you better throttle response and i believe it gives you better acceleration. here are videos from kenoconner racing to help you out. Or you could just send yours to him i think he only charges like 60 bucks to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
seeing as i cant just "throw" my flywheel on the lathe, im not sure ill have time.

trying to lighten it would involve building a jig, which would require a crank. a crank that i dont have..:(

Im not sure if its worth my time to go through the trouble, when i could just send it out.

Before you even think about making the flywheel lighter, you need to understand what it will do.

A light flywheel will allow you to get the revs up quicker because the rotational mass is less, and this is great when dragging and going for holeshots.

But what happens when the motor comes under load, hills, sand and mud, they will want to slow the motor down and the light flywheel now will not be able to provide rotational mass.

Light flywheels have their place but not in an all rounder.