How to Start Racing ATV Motocross

Quadrider10

Dec 18, 2011
New Jersey
www.youtube.com
How to Start Racing ATV Motocross
This guide is directed towards the totally awesome and far more superior sport of motocross! However, this guide may also be helpful for other types of AMA/ATVA racing.

So you want to race, you don't have a bike, and you know nothing about it..... sounds like me a while ago lol!

YOUR First step~ go to ATVA and READ READ READ!!!!!!

2nd STEP~ MORE READING ABOUT THE ATVA!!!!!!!

3rd StEp~ Sign up as a member for the ATVA. make sure you sign up as a racing and not recreational.

4th SteP~ Read ALL the Rules about ATV racing! you can find all the rules about AMA and ATVA Racing here: http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/Libraries/Racing_Documents/AMA_Racing_Rulebook13_web2.sflb.ashx

5th STEp~ Well since your reading this post and probably haven't read anything on the ATVA website yet, ill tell you some of the MAJOR RULES in which EVERYONE MUST FOLLOW!

RulE 1: You must be a member of the ATVA to be able to race at AMA OR ATVA races.

rule 2: Know all the track rules before hand. this can be done by finding the name of your local track then googleing it's name and location to find their website. or you can check this out: Search Events and Races <<< that will search ALL AMA/ATVA sanctioned events in your location.

rULe 3: YOU must wear ALL appropriate attire. now you may ask "what s is appropriate attire?" well ill tell you. appropriate attire starting from top to bottom is an APPROVED ATV or Dirt bike helmet. (bicycle or motorcycle helmets are not allowed. and ONLY FULL face helmets are allowed.) YOU MUST wear Goggles, (no sunglasses) a LONG sleeve shirt, (you can wear a short sleeve shirt under if you want for rocks that may hit you) LONG pants (i would suggest jeans. no sweat pants unless you want to wear them under your jeans, and also NO cups if you are a boy.) you need LONG socks, and work boots that are 4" high minimum. (should cover your whole foot and ankle. regular shoes are NOT allowed and you WILL not be able to ride unless) what i listed is what is REQUIRED!!!!! if you don't have that at all, a track official may ask you to leave. me personally, i used everything that was required, also i used a chest guard, (helps A LOT for when rocks and handle bars hit you for when you fall) a racing collar (helps NOT break your neck when you fall, gloves, a riding shirt and pants. i wore a regular t-shirt under my jersey, socks and boots.

RULe 4: YOUR ATV MUST MEET REQUIREMENTS FOR THE CLASS THAT YOUR RIDING IN!!!(please see BOTH the ATVA rule book and your local track requirements for machine requirements for a class. now, ALL ATVs MUST be equipped with a tether, nerf bars, and number plates (front and rear). you can google that stuff if you don't know what it is. but YOU MUST have all those at minimum.

6 StEp~ Read the rules for general ATV Racing and know what all the flags mean etc. those can all be found in the rule book posted earlier.

7 STep~ Read the requirements for what class or classes that you want to race in. all classes have requirements that must be met and followed. since you are just starting off, you most likely will be starting in CLASS C. this class is mostly all beginners, and the minimum requirement is 16 years old. the C class really does not have any major requirements as far as your quad. from experience, the most used quad in C class is a 450. BUT you will have to read the rules on what can be done, and what can't be done to your quad as far as frame mods, engine mods, intake mods, etc. all that can be found in the rule book posted above.

8 SteP~ Now its time to buy a quad. you must buy a quad that is in specs of the class C, B, and A requirements in case you want to advance and keep with this new sport. (class C= Novis, class B= amateur class A= Pro) my simple advice to you would to buy a quad that already has some hop up parts and may even be race ready. its cheaper in the long run. whether you buy a 2 stroke, or 4 poke, its up to you. make sure it is allowed in the class you are entering. IE a 250 2-stroke may only be allowed in a 450 4-stroke class. DO YOUR RESEARCH!!! ASK QUESTIONS!!!!

9 STeP~ So you may or my not have a quad yet, or even your ATVA or you even might have BOTH. Now is a good time to visit your local track and talk to and mingle with some riders. just go up to ask them questions. introduce your self, and say that you are trying to get into racing and would like to know your advice. stay the day and watch the races. get to know people, take their advice etc. who knows you might find someone who will give you their number and go to all the races you go to and help you out on the way. happened to me, and the guy i became friends with knew EVERYONE and introduced me to them and even those people helped me. gave me some free parts too :D. just be careful though. its good to talk to families rather then individuals. some individuals are VERY selfish and wont tell you anything and may get annoyed.

10 STEP~ Time to decide if you really want to get into this sport. this is an expansive sport, has its drawbacks, and very risky. however when i raced for as long as i did, i had the time of my life! for an average practice day and race day (Saturday and Sunday) it costed me about $200 that included gas to drive down, gas for the ATV, admission for me and my mom, and admission for me for 1 class to race, and admission for my mom to watch (spectator). kinda expensive when it all adds up. the on top of that you have repairs, maintenance, and food, and where you are going to sleep. don't mind you, but you also need a trailer. unless you are like me and stuff your quad in the back of a Honda Pilot SUV. haha :p.

11 steP~ Your decision is made and now you want to start racing no matter what it takes. time to hit the GYM! work out some. MX takes a lot out of you. work core, legs, arms, hands, figures, caffs, endurance, etc. trust me the more you do, the more you'll thank me. before my practice and race weekend, i walked around school for an entire week using those hand clamps on my clutch hand all day long. during races and practices, its common for people to experience something called "arm pump" basically this is blood going into your arms but not being able to return to the heart fast enough. it feels like you arms are giant 300lbs cinder blocks. you loose almost all muscle in them and can barely hold on or push the throttle. best way to avoid this is a lot of push ups, punches, hand clamps, benching, and know how to deal with it. if it happens to you, its good to push through it at least 1 lap to start to get use to the feeling, but after that GET OFF the track before you FALL OFF!!!!

12 Step~ Look into the times and prices that your track opens. now its time to go there. most practices are on Saturdays, and races are on Sundays. make sure you are there 1/2 hour before the track opens. watch the first few practices and know the track layout before you even enter the track. after you have watched the first few practices, time for your turn. since this is your first time on a track, go SLOW, DO NOT JUMP, and stay to ONE SIDE of the track. DO NOT keep criss crossing. roll over all jumps, and let people pass you. work on body mechanics like leaning into the turns, going over whoops, leaning forward and backward. do this the ENTIRE DAY!!!!!! do not go balls to the wall and get all cocky. you WILL fall and get hurt. its good to visit about 3 different tracks and get to know the people and talk to them go through about half a season of JUST practices NO races. instead just watch the races. each time you do a new practice, start to pick up your speed and get faster and faster. get used to the jumps, whoops, and turns.

13 stEp~ So its been about half a season and you think your ready for your first race. go over your ENTIRE quad on Friday and check EVERY SINGLE nut and bolt. check oils, gas, EVERYTHING. practice Saturday, show up an half hour early, go hard but don't hurt your self or get cocky. get used to the jumps, find a safe/fast line, a run it all day. now its Sunday and race day. a first race should be like a fast practice. race JUST LIKE you've been practicing. go hard, but don't try to beat anyone. YOUR main job here is to keep up and not fall. there are a LOT of other newbies around you who don't know what they are doing. it is said that class C is the hardest. not because of the skill of the riders, but all the crashes that happen that you have to avoid. DON'T BE ONE OF THEM!

13 step~ CONGRATS! you finished your first race and practice. now its time to do another. do just like you did this time, go hard, but not balls out. each time you race, focus on getting faster and faster. not on trying to win or to beat anyone. that will come naturally. focus on points where you can pass and where you can not. over time you will get faster. and you will do better. the main thing is to not become over competitive and to have FUN! people will try to be nasty and roost you or do some stupid sh*t to scare you. don't give in to it, and don't do it to them or anyone else. HAVE FUN AND ENJOY WHAT YOU ARE DOING! Good luck and HAVE FUN!

Some tips on body mechanics:

So like i said before, work out and keep up your fitness. eat healthy and feel good. get used to the feel of the bike, and know when something is wrong.

JumPINg: I cant tell you how to jump, because every rider and bike are different, but here is a simple guide. you leave the ground with all four tires on it, so you should land with all four tired on it. this takes some skill and some balls to do. a lot of people feel the need to land with the rear tires first which usually leads to over compensation. there are some times when you do land with the rear tires first like when you over shoot a jump or even under shoot a jump. when you jump, stay in the middle of your bike. you should be flying straight and true. if you are nose high tap the rear brakes in the air to pitch your bike forward, but don't hold the brakes or you will nose dive or stall the engine. if you are nose down, tap the throttle and that will bring your nose up. don't over compensate for either of these. and use your body too. over time jumping will become fun and easy. but don't under estimate it. you should always be alert on the jump and ready to react.

turnINg: When you turn in a corner, you ALWAYS lean into the turn. your butt should not even be on the seat. a good idea to turn is to start to brake while entering the turn, then about half way to 1/4 into the turn, slam on the gas. make sure you lean enough and are in a good gear. RPMs should be high. (in the power band when you leave)

WhOOps: Whoops are very hard to get use to and are the most challenging for many. the way to challenge whoops is to lean as far back on the bike as you can possible, and hammer on the throttle while pulling the nose up a tad. your front wheels should just tap the tops of the whoops, while your back wheels should just ride over them while also skipping across them. it takes a LOT of skill to do these, and i have never really got good at them. make sure your suspension is is good enough for whoop riding. its good to start slow and over time get faster over time. whoops have the tendency to pop your rear up in the air and knock you over the handle bars. maybe even having the quad land on you. so take your time and practice!

Here is some terminology that you will hear passed around:

(power band) This is a "sweet spot" in the RPM range of your motor that your motor will run at its best.

(scrub) Its a weird move that looks cool when you cross the finish line in air. just look it up lol

("cased it") Crashed, usually on a jump

(table top) A jump that has a raised center between the launch and landing ramps

(single) A jump that has a launch ramp but no landing ramp

(double) A jump like a table top except there is a launch and a landing ramp at a distance apart with no center in the middle

(triple) A jump like a double, except they are more spaced apart and there is an extra ramp in the middle for people who are not able to make the full distance of the triple. basically like a double with a single after it.

(pin it) Push the throttle all the way in to go fast

(whoops) A series of small humps or jumps one right after another

(rut) A deep spot in the track that the tires of either a quad or dirt bike fall in

(burm) Basically a turn that is on an angle. the inside of it is low, and the out side is higher

(roost) To slam on the gas and whip the rear end around to make rocks and dirt fly up and hit someone

(hole shot) Rite after the gate drops the first person to either the first turn or a line painted in the dirt get the hole shot. sometime there is even an award for a hole shot.

(dump the clutch) Rev the bike then completely let go of the clutch and take off without stalling.

General Advice: My advice to you and anyone else reading this is to ask questions to people, don't be cocky, and to have fun. also if you find your self in a sticky situation on the track, the bets thing to do is to pin the throttle. " pin it to win it". believe me. over shooting a jump is much better then undershooting and hurts less. if you do happen to fall off at any time, the best thing to do is to tuck your chin and roll from your shoulder to across your back to the opposite hip. then get up ASAP and run off the track. you don't know who will be behind you, whether that be a person going 45+mph or your bike trying to hunt you down. so get off the track asap and don't worry. your tether will detach and shut off your bike. as soon as the track is clear, run to your bike, flip it back over, push the bike off the track where no one will be riding or hit you, push the throttle all the way in then let it come back out (to make sure its not sticking) pull the clutch, put your tether back in, check the kill switch, start it back up, (it might be hard to start), shift down and get on your way! just don't fall again or you'll look like an idiot lol! when you get off the track check your self to make sure you are ok, and then check the bike. avoid hitting water and mud while on or off the track. make sure you get to the gate on time, and keep your ears open for your class that might be called. if you don't know where you are going, just ask a track official that is NOT on the track. make sure you walk the track before race and practices. and after every race and practice, check over your bike to make sure bolts don't come loose or fall out. to help with this, you can use Blue Lock Tight. make sure you keep extra gas with you, spark plugs, tire gauges, tire pumps, exhaust plugs, tools to completely disassemble and reassemble your bike. extra clothing, socks, plenty of water, reeds if you have a 2-stoke, jets for carb, etc. to get racing number, all you have to do is order the plates and numbers off ebay. read the rule book for the proper size plates and numbers. you can choose any number you want. however if someone else at the track stole your number, you will either need to use a different number or some tracks will ask you to put an X across the number plate. so you will race as #X. the other method of having a number is to use the last 2 digits of ur AMA number on your AMA card. avoid numbers like 1, 2, etc. these numbers are considered "PRO". what i did was have my regular number as 10, then on the back side of the number plate i put 30, so this way if i had the same number as anyone else, i could just flip my plate over. be ready for anything to happen because it WILL happen.

Some useful links:
http://www.blasterforum.com/racing-11/q10s-racing-48778/
http://www.blasterforum.com/racing-11/first-race-ever-45384/
http://www.blasterforum.com/racing-11/2nd-race-48532/
http://www.blasterforum.com/pics-vids-9/racing-my-first-season-pics-vids-50348/
http://www.blasterforum.com/do-yourself-20/general-maintenance-quads-dirtbikes-48082/
http://www.blasterforum.com/do-yourself-20/how-adjust-your-suspension-47830/
http://www.blasterforum.com/miscellaneous-16/neat-way-lock-up-your-bike-46420/
http://www.blasterforum.com/off-topic-7/motocross-my-drug-q10s-mx-video-48731/

I:I I:I I:I I:I MOST IMPORTANT! have FUN and RIDE ON! I:I I:I I:I I:I

This is my own personal guide from my personal experiences. others may have different advice or methods etc, or i may not be 100% accurate.

Any questions? just READ! then ASK either in this thread or a new thread or even some people who have done it before! almost ALL the information and reliable advice will be found on the tracks website, or ATVA website.

Last edited:
7 STep~ Read the requirements for what class or classes that you want to race in. all classes have requirements that must be met and followed. since you are just starting off, u most likely will be starting in CLASS C. this class is mostly all beginners, and the minimum requirement is 16 years old. the C class really does not have any major requirements as far as your quad. from experience,

8 SteP~ Now its time to buy a quad. you must buy a quad that is in specs of the class C, B, and A requirements encase you want to advance and keep with this new sport. (class C= Novis, class B= amateur class A= Pro) my simple advice to you would to buy a quad that already has some hop up parts and may even be race ready. its cheaper in the long run. whether you buy a 2 stroke, or 4 poke, its up to you. make sure it is allowed in the class you are entering. IE a 250 2-stroke may only be allowed in a 450 4-stroke class. DO YOUR RESEARCH!!! ASK QUESTIONS!!!!

9 STeP~ So you may or my not have a quad yet, or even your ATVA or you even might have BOTH. Now is a good time to visit your local track and talk to and mingle with some riders. just go up to ask them questions. introduce your self, and say that you are trying to get into racing and would like to know your advice. stay the day and watch the races. get to know people, take their advice etc. who knows you might find someone who will give you their number and go to all the races you go to and help you out on the way. happened to me, and the guy i became friends with knew EVERYONE and introduced me to them and even those people helped me. gave me some free parts too :D. just be careful tho. its good to talk to families rather then individuals. some individuals are VERY self fish and wont tell you anything and may get annoyed.

10 STEP~ Time to decide if you really want to get into this sport. this is an expansive sport, has its draw backs, and very risky. however when i raced for as long as i did, i had the time of my life! for an average practice day and race day (Saturday and Sunday) it costed me about $200 that included gas to drive down, gas for the ATV, admission for me and my mom, and admission for me for 1 class to race, and admission for my mom to watch (spectator). kinda expansive when it all adds up. the on top of that you have repairs, maintenance, and food, and where you are going to sleep. don't mind you, but you also need a trailer. unless you are like me and stuff you quad in the back of a Honda Pilot SUV. haha :p.

13 stEp~ So its been about half a season and you think your ready for your first race. go over your ENTIRE quad on Friday and check EVERY SINGLE nut and bolt. check oils, gas, EVERYTHING. practice Saturday, show up an half hour early, go hard but don't hurt your self or get cocky. get used to the jumps, find a safe/fast line, a run it all day. now its Sunday and race day. a first race should be like a fast practice. race JUST LIKE you've been practicing. go hard, but don't try to beat anyone. YOUR main job here is to keep up and not fall. there are a LOT of other newbies around you who don't know what they are doing. it is said that class C is the hardest. not because of the skill of the riders, but all the crashes that happen that you have to avoid. DON'T BE ONE OF THEM!

turnINg: When you turn in a corner, you ALWAYS lean into the turn. your butt should not even be on the seat. a good idea to turns is to start to brake while entering the turn, then about half way to 1/4 into the turn, slam on the gas. make sure you lean enough and are in a good gear. RPMs should be high. (in the power band when you leave)

WhOOps: Whoops are very hard to get use to and are the most challenging for many. the way to challenge whoops is to lean as far back on the bike as you can possible, and hammer on the throttle while pulling the nose up a tad. your front wheels should just tap the tops of the whoops, while your back wheels should just ride over them while also skipping on the. it takes a LOT of skill to do these, and i have never really got good at them. make sure your suspension is is good enough for whoop riding. its good to start slow and over time get faster over time. whoops have the tendency to pop your rear up in the air and knock you over the handle bars. maybe even having the quad land on you. so take your time and practice!

Here is some terminology that you will hear passed a round:

(triple) A jump like a double, except they are more spaced apart and there is an extra ram in the middle for people who are not able to make the full distance of the triple. basically like a double with a single after it.

(pin it) Push the throttle all the way in to go fast

(whoops) A series of small humps or jumps one rite after another

(hole shot) Rite after the gate drops the first person to either the first turn or a line painted in the dirt get the hole shot. sometime there is even an award for a hole shot.

General Advice: My advice to you and anyone else reading this is to ask questions to people, don't be cocky, and to have fun. also if you find your self in a sticky situation on the track, the bets thing to do is to pin the throttle. " pin it to win it". believe me. over shooting a jump is much better then undershooting and hurts less. if you do happen to fall off at any time, the best thing to do is to tuck your chin and roll from your shoulder to across your back to the opposite hip. then get up ASAP and run off the track. you don't know who will be behind you, whether that be a person going 45+mph or your bike trying to hunt you down. so get off the track asap and don't worry. your tether will detach and shut off your bike. as soon as the track is clear, run to your bike, flip it back over, push the bike off the track where no one will be riding or hit you, push the throttle all the way in then let it come back out (to make sure its not sticking) pull the clutch, put your tether back in, check the kill switch, start it back up, (it might be hard to start), shift down and get on your way! just don't fall again or you'll look like an idiot lol! when you get off the track check your self to make sure you are ok, and then check the bike. avoid hitting water and mud while on or off the track. make sure you get to the gate on time, and keep your ears open for your class that might be called. if you don't know where you are going, just ask a track official that is NOT on the track. make sure you walk the track before race and practices. and after every race and practice, check over your bike to make sure bolts don't come loose or fall out. to help with this, you can use Blue Lock Tight. make sure you keep extra gas with you, spark plugs, tire gauges, tire pumps, exhaust plugs, tools to completely disassemble and reassemble your bike. extra cloths, socks, plenty of water, reeds if you have a 2-stoke, jets for carb, etc. to get racing number, all you have ot do is order the plates and numbers off ebay. read the rule book for the proper size plates and numbers. you can choose any number you want. however if someone else at the track stole your number, you will eaither need to use a different number or some tracks will ask you to put an X across the number plate. so you will race as #X. the other method of having a number is to use the last 2 digits of ur AMA number on your AMA card. avoid numbers like 1, 2, etc. these numbers are considered "PRO". what i did was have my regular number as 10, then on the back side of the number plate i put 30, so this way if i had the same number as anyone else, i could just flip my plate over. be ready for anything to happen cause it WILL happen.

There are others but these stuck out to me.:D:D

Any info on flat track/ice racing??? Anyone on here do flat track or ice race???? Thanks...

Hi thanks for the info! I learned a lot just reading all this. I'm 13 and I started racing 2 years ago. Still have a lot to learn though thank you! :)

Tip #1. Find a chiropractor to sponsor you, Tip #2. If the thought crosses your mind that this is going to hurt when you get older, your right. Tip #3. SLOW DOWN and you will actually go faster and win more races. Racing is actually about finesse and control not brute force and agression. Race with your brain and you will collect trophies, race with your balls and you will visit the ER. It takes less time to slow down for the ditch then to pick yourself up off the ground because you didn't

Reactions: 89blaster89
/\ /\ /\ /\ X2

Now you are talking, that is about the best advice that you could ever get!

And never forget the golden rule , have fun.