Let's chat gearing, shall we???

TechBlaster

Just say NO to "Stock"
Aug 6, 2009
MY TOWN, PA
Wattup all,

I am curious to what you guys are spinning and why. 14/38, 12/40, 14/40, etc.

What are the advantages, stock, modded, etc?

I am looking to mod my gearing but want to hear from everyone their feedback to why they chose their setup and how they benefit from it with THEIR blaster, and it's mods that play the role in it all. What really wakes up the blaster? What gives you the best top speed? For the top speed gear junkies are you losing your bottom end, or do you have mods that compensate, etc? What gearing gives you the best all around performance, over stock, that pulls nice through the p-band and keeps pulling up top, etc, etc???

Open to any and all suggestions, let's talk gearing, shall we???? ;)

Last edited:
My bike came with 12/40 gearing and stock tires, bottom end pulled great but up top it was really weak. So when i got 18"s I decided to switch to a 14 t front sproket, I presonally love it, down low it might be a bit weaker ( the 18"s make up for it ) but in the mid it really shines and it whines out pretty nice on the top end too.

I run 14/38 with 18'' tires. I've got a ported 240 kit with a +3mm stroker crank and it pulls from the get go all the way to the top.

this should help you out

Larger rear tires=better top speed
smaller rear tires=better acceleration
bigger front sprocket(stock is 13)=more top speed
bigger rear sprocket(stock is 40)=more acceleration

I also run a 14/40 with 20" tires and must say, I love it so far(just installed this weekend, along with exhaust). These are my only performance mods so far, but it really made a difference. Gears are a bit longer but I didn't lose anything noticeable in the lower rpms. I find myself not being able to click it into 6th gear on some parts of the trail, where I used to be able to with no problem with the stock gearing. Hope that helps.

On my 2006 Blasty (wife's bike) I am running stock gearing and 22'' tires on the rear and I get 67mph on my gps. My "new" bike i don't know whats on it for gears, but i am running 18's and it is a little faster up top and chew's it inside and out everywhere else.

whats the biggest rear i could go with i want more acceleration to compensate for my 22 tires? i believe that its stock right now

You guys rock, thx a ton for all the input, what great info.

Now, to confirm, the rear stock sprocket is 40, right?
And, if going up on in the front(stock 13 to mod 14) do I have to change linkage for the chain or just slightly adjust tighteners???

And, if going up on in the front(stock 13 to mod 14) do I have to change linkage for the chain or just slightly adjust tighteners???

yes, 40 is stock and when you put a 14 on the front you'll just have to adjust the chain

just put the 14 on and adjust if needed.

damn 245 beat me.. lol
nice rotor by the way..

Awesome, 14 it is, will stop by my local shop(Cycle City Yamaha) on the way home tomorrow see if they stock it, if not sure I will find something online, as stated.

Buy yourselves a cold one on me. ;)

BTW,
Some kick A$$ blasters there bro-seff's, hope to meet some of these in person some day for a get-together, etc. Don't forget to invite me.