I'm going back to the yamaha "auto lube" oil injection! Why? Because it works!!!

Anytime you have a mechanical system that oils any motor there is a chance for it to malfuntion and cause damage. Its a choice we all make to use it and take that chance or pitch it and know your safe. I will premix and know i have the right amount of oil everytime and not wonder if its working correctly. I guess some of us just choose the russian roulette way of thinking.

Every (millions upon millions) car,truck,and motorcycle on the road has a mechanical oil pump. Yes there is always a chance for it to malfunction and cause damage. There is no way to know its not working unless the oil pressure gauge shows it,or the idiot light comes on. Must people don't pay attention to either one,because they're too busy talking on they're cell phone,and too lazy to lift the hood and pull a dip stick to check the oil. This is equivilent to not filling the blaster oil tank,and its translucent and easy to see,and you don't even have to lift a hood. Now we're back to operator error. Fill the tank. Inspect befor you ride. We all do this before we take off on a ride anyway right? Probably not,but I do.
I haven't seen very many people remove the oil pump from they're automobiles because of mechanical mistrust. Hell...You couldn't even pre-mix if you did that.

even if the people who have ran the pump and had a failure were at fualt, it still happend. how many people that premix have to worry about checking their oil tank, dropping mud or dirt in their oil tank, or priming and taking care of a oil pump and lines? 0

im not opposed to using the stock setup but when it comes down to it i dont need 20:1. do you know how expensive this oil is? i have been running klotz all my machines at 40:1 with exception to those running methanol.

just curioius, if this castor oil is clogging your spark arrestor, do you think it could at some point foul a plug or leave deposits all in your exhaust or even inside the engine?

I have never seen an oil injection pump fail from proper use, let me rephrase that, I have never seen an oil injection pump fail from preventive maintainence.

I have repaired many a motor which has failed from lack of injection oil because of user error, apathy, ignorance, poor maintainence, uncleanliness, stupidity, the list goes on.

My reasons for removal of the injection and premixing are not because I fear it not working, it is because:

I am able to run bean oil, Castrol R30 or Maxima 927.

I am able to fine tune my air fuel ratio simply by changing my premix oil ratio.

I have no need to bleed the oil injection system after tipping the bike over.

I have always used a heavy bean oil mix in the Blaster, 25:1 and jetted slightly rich and never fouled a plug.

A correctly jetted motor will burn off the excess oil, it is light blue in colour and is called smoke.

I have not fouled a plug since I quit using Castrol XL and Castrol R, as premix oils way back in the 60's.

Last edited:
I Have No Argument on the Stock Oil Injection System , I used Mine for 4 Years With 0 Problems on an all Original Motor , Minus the Lube change and New Plugs , This Was All before I knew Anything about Modding and This Site !

even if the people who have ran the pump and had a failure were at fualt, it still happend. how many people that premix have to worry about checking their oil tank, dropping mud or dirt in their oil tank, or priming and taking care of a oil pump and lines? 0

im not opposed to using the stock setup but when it comes down to it i dont need 20:1. do you know how expensive this oil is? i have been running klotz all my machines at 40:1 with exception to those running methanol.

just curioius, if this castor oil is clogging your spark arrestor, do you think it could at some point foul a plug or leave deposits all in your exhaust or even inside the engine?

First off ...There's nothing to worry about. I don't "Worry" about checking my oil injection tank,or dropping dirt in the tank,or priming and taking care of an oil pump and lines.

Whats to "worry" about? Its a tank...fill it.

Why "worry" about dirt getting in the tank? wipe off the cap "before" you fill it. It really is that simple.

Why "worry" about priming? You only have to do that during the initial set-up,or if you've flipped the bike. Its one screw. Very simple!

"Worry" about taking care of the oil pump and lines? Its "Auto Lube" you don't take care of it. There's nothing to take care of. Bleed it properly at set up,feed it clean oil, inspect it before riding,and its happy to do its job.

The castor oil worked great! I was trying all kinds of fuel to oil ratios to experiment. The clogged spark arrestor screen was getting clogged at 20 to 1,just collecting on the screen at at 24 to 1, negligable at 28 to one,etc,etc

It was fun that bean oil! Anybody know who makes a "Castor fortified" injector oil?

One other thing... I've know of a few times where people were pre-mixing and thought they already added the oil and didn't,then seized they're engine because of no oil in the fuel. Most issues is seams are "operator error",not mechanical error.

Last edited:
24 years and on the oil injection parts and the engine...All I can say is see how good it works!

Now lets get down to business... Lets see some photos of these worn out parts or it didn't happen. Seriously.

What I'm saying is at 24 years old the system would have been continuously maintained or I would have lost a motor by now.
Lucky for me the motor I have in it was never oil injected from the factory or most any other 2 stroke atv.
The oil injection is for kids.
It's time that kills it.
I have seen many people toast motors over the years because the system failed.
Who wants to run 20:1?

The Dt200 comes with a bit of a heavier looking autolube System that uses a second throttle cable it think to activate it. I dono why but kinda neat!!

Problems with this story is it's referring to book written in the early 70's. They didn't have good oil then.
6000 miles in a few days isn't really proving reliability. I could prolly jack my blaster up and run it in 6th gear for double that lol
Guys have had their pump fail after only 5 years.
I can't find the recommended maintenance schedule for the oil injection but I'm sure their is one.
Finally that article was written by a 13 year old named Rocko :D

6000 miles in a few days isn't really proving reliability.

If this isnt showing reliability i dono what the hell is..... I dont even have probably half these miles on my blaster and its practically falling apart over time. DO YOU REALIZE HOW FAR 6000 Miles is!!!! More then 75% of the blasters on this site would die within half that distance, and they would be the ones premixing!!

If this isnt showing reliability i dono what the hell is..... I dont even have probably half these miles on my blaster and its practically falling apart over time. DO YOU REALIZE HOW FAR 6000 Miles is!!!! More then 75% of the blasters on this site would die within half that distance, and they would be the ones premixing!!

Reliability is something working over time.
Kinda like a car with 200k on it that only drives the highway to and from Cali vs a car with 200k that is drivin to church and back on Sunday.
They both have 200k.
One is 2 years old and one is 20 years old.
Which is more reliable?

so what do you do if you roll your quad out riding and don't get it upright agian for a few minutes? oil injection could be airlocked? you have to prime the pump somehow trailside? or do you just hop on and hope for the best

Just going to throw this out there as more food for thought:

Think, for a second, of all the different applications of oil-injected 2-stroke engines over the years. In my opinion (right or wrong as it may be), oil injection has been around for decades and has had varying degrees of success. A lot of the reliability concerns of the system depend on the environment and conditions in which the system is subject to operation.

On marine engines, oil injection is a big conveinence and has served boaters well for decades. (The problems many people experienced with the blue Fuji engines on early-model Polaris jetskis were caused by fuel starvation, not insufficient oil.)

On street bikes, oil injection is also a big conveinence since its difficult to premix at a gas pump with fuel still in the tank. Plus, bikes engine-brake often, and the autolube system keeps things well-oiled even when riders are off the throttle.

On mopeds and scooters, especially the 50cc versions, the engine takes a beating and needs all the reliable oil it can get. Small 2-stroke engines get lugged on takeoff and are engine-braked to death due to the nature of the CV drive system. Oil injection works well here. Oh, and you can't forget that many scooter riders are not very mechanically-minded. They want the simplest, most reliable possible transportation. With a direct-drive oil pump and little chance of being flipped completely over, oil injection is quite happy on mopeds.

But on ATV's, I have to say that I don't like the system. It is too easy to wreck and airlock the system, or clog an oil feed line with debris during fill-ups.

I'm wary of oil injection on ATV's because it has failed when used on outdoor power equipment. Most people run their lawnmower as hard as their ATV's. Anybody remember Lawn-Boy lawnmowers? Most of them were designed to run pre-mixed fuel.

BUT, Lawn-Boy did experiment with oil injection at one point and quickly scrapped the system when people would run the engine low on oil, only to proceed to tip the mower over to service the blade, causing an air lock in the system. And these mowers used a safety switch which would shut off the spark if the tank got low on oil. Good try on Lawn-Boy's part, but nothing is foolproof even with safety switches.

Last thing: The RZ 350 street bike was oil-injected. But we all know that system did not carry over to the Banshee reincarnation of the same engine. Why? I think Yamaha had their reasons. The Blaster, on the other hand, was meant to be an entry-level ATV and Yamaha kept the system in use there for conveinence. Not to say that it doesn't work, but having seen how hard most Blasters (including mine) are ridden, I don't want to take chances.

My .02.

Nice write up Braaaptor. The simple reason's I don't have an injector pump on mine is the fact that I have flipped my quad a few times racing motocross and I'm not going to trust MY motor to a mechanical pump. I've got way too much invested for that

Just going to throw this out there as more food for thought:

Think, for a second, of all the different applications of oil-injected 2-stroke engines over the years. In my opinion (right or wrong as it may be), oil injection has been around for decades and has had varying degrees of success. A lot of the reliability concerns of the system depend on the environment and conditions in which the system is subject to operation.

On marine engines, oil injection is a big conveinence and has served boaters well for decades. (The problems many people experienced with the blue Fuji engines on early-model Polaris jetskis were caused by fuel starvation, not insufficient oil.)

On street bikes, oil injection is also a big conveinence since its difficult to premix at a gas pump with fuel still in the tank. Plus, bikes engine-brake often, and the autolube system keeps things well-oiled even when riders are off the throttle.

On mopeds and scooters, especially the 50cc versions, the engine takes a beating and needs all the reliable oil it can get. Small 2-stroke engines get lugged on takeoff and are engine-braked to death due to the nature of the CV drive system. Oil injection works well here. Oh, and you can't forget that many scooter riders are not very mechanically-minded. They want the simplest, most reliable possible transportation. With a direct-drive oil pump and little chance of being flipped completely over, oil injection is quite happy on mopeds.

I'm wary of oil injection on ATV's because it has failed when used on outdoor power equipment. Most people run their lawnmower as hard as their ATV's. Anybody remember Lawn-Boy lawnmowers? Most of them were designed to run pre-mixed fuel.

BUT, Lawn-Boy did experiment with oil injection at one point and quickly scrapped the system when people would run the engine low on oil, only to proceed to tip the mower over to service the blade, causing an air lock in the system. And these mowers used a safety switch which would shut off the spark if the tank got low on oil. Good try on Lawn-Boy's part, but nothing is foolproof even with safety switches.

Last thing: The RZ 350 street bike was oil-injected. But we all know that system did not carry over to the Banshee reincarnation of the same engine. Why? I think Yamaha had their reasons. The Blaster, on the other hand, was meant to be an entry-level ATV and Yamaha kept the system in use there for conveinence. Not to say that it doesn't work, but having seen how hard most Blasters (including mine) are ridden, I don't want to take chances.

My .02.

I hear what your saying. However,what I got out of all that is ..."don't tip your bike over",and most people don't have commen sense.

quote >>> But on ATV's, I have to say that I don't like the system. It is too easy to wreck and airlock the system, or clog an oil feed line with debris during fill-ups.

This brings us back to wipe off the cap before filling the tank,and bleed the system if you get upside down. Both are easy to do,and just take a few moments.

Seriously,...if a blaster owner gets enough rocks,mud,and dirt into the tank to clog the oil lines,they are obviously a complete slob when it comes to maintenance,and should find a new hobby,because they obviously suck at this one.
I see where your coming from,but I inspect my bike before riding.

Nice write up Braaaptor. The simple reason's I don't have an injector pump on mine is the fact that I have flipped my quad a few times racing motocross and I'm not going to trust MY motor to a mechanical pump. I've got way too much invested for that

I agree removing it when it comes to racing motocross. Makes sense.

Or in other words,no blaster that races on tracks should have it. No reason for it.

I don't race motocross though. I go out into the desert on L-O-N-G rides ...60 to 90 miles sometimes more.

just for reference......
my brand new '96 blaster ran the injection for the 8+ very very hard years i owned it, lots of times with 2 people on it from noon till 3-4am.
i ran yamalube at first, then maxima super M injection for most of those years.
i kept it full of oil and meticulously clean around/when filling the tank.
i sold it with the stock piston and rings in it, still starting on 1-2 kicks, everytime, even in the dead of winter,
it had been upside down more times than i can count, and never once did i prime anything, i flipped it back over and continued on my ride. i also remember a quart of oil lasting way longer than it does mixing now, even on my stockish black bike.
and damn i miss getting straight gas from my buddies out on the trails, or pulling up to the pumps at the closest convenience store, instead of heading home like i have to now