Got myself another TIG

karterphil

May 21, 2012
United Kingdom
Hey Guys,
Just thought i'd post seeing as I got a bit of a deal at an auction for an old (2007) thermal arc 180 ac/dc TIG welder unit (No torch or leads etc) I knew as soon as i saw it that there was something wrong with it as you don't see over £1000 ($1500) worth of welder at an auction with no reserve but I knew if I snapped it up cheap enough then repair costs + purchase costs would make a good deal. I managed to get it for only £18 ($27), bargain. I needed to re wire a new power cable as the auctioneers cut them if the unit can't be tested. The machine turns on and the digital control panel works fine but here's the wall i was gonna hit, it wont put out any current whatsoever, so here comes diagnosis time ;) A nice little project i reckon. I:I

Got to be worth that in scrap copper. Guess it's time to find yourself a welding forum to search common problems and value. Good luck with it. Keep us posted too.

Is it internally fused?

Gonna be tearing into it v-soon to find out, bit busy atm with the blaster ( about time i updated my thread ;) ) I know a few people who are pretty competent with electronics so any replacement can be done at a component level if needs be, i just hope it isn't anything too big ;)

Well, i took the welder to the repair shop (2hr drive away) on Monday, got a call from them today confirming they have fixed it, The guys there said that it had been dropped or knocked off a workbench which caused 3 of the main capacitors to internally snap their connections, also one of the 2 main IGBT modules had internally shattered, so all of these components have been replaced at a total cost including labor of £253 or $380 which makes for a fairly tidy bargain, im gonna get them to build me a digital foot pedal and supply me with a new wp20 torch just to complete the package ;). So to summarize, i got a £1500 welder for around £400. Bargain I:I

Reactions: Larry's Shee
Glad you got it fixed and working properly.Now just to get it home and start playing with it.A good deal for sure.

Thanks for the rep Larry I:I ,
Yep, i should be getting it back on Friday next week as my dad drives through Worcestershire on his way back from work on a Friday. Just need a nice full bottle of argon now ;)