Got a BANSHEE!!!

Budget_Blaster

Dec 25, 2009
Illinois
I picked up an 04 banshee last nightI:I

Its bonestock on the motor but i think the wheels are aftermarket.

Traded the banshee to an older cat my little brother knew that had originally bought this for his daughter upon riding it she said she didnt like it and he agreed it was too much for her and was looking to sell it.I checked it out rode it and all that happy stuff and it runs,idles,starts very nice and suprisingly is quiet ive never heard a stock banshee.

Well upon riding it he waives me in to say he didnt know if he added oil to the gas WTF!!!So i pull it over and first thing i did was pulled the plugs both looked great.I then checked for excessive heat and it had none.So i went to the truck for my compression tester and heres what i got 105psi on the left and 110psi on the right.I then find out his boy added oil but dont remember how much so i drained the fuel there and added new fuel with amsoil at 32.1 and fired it up and took it out again.The thing for being bonestock is stout.

So i ended up trading my gf;s blaster thats freshly been rebuilt .050 wiseco,stock jetted carb,fmf gnarly,dg silencer,and boysen along with a chinese 110cc for this banshee even trade.

Ive anticipated putting a top end in it just so i know its sound so thats not a big deal but this things clean as a whistle or was until i rode it lol.

you guys think thats a good deal?It runs great and has no issues besides the compression being borderline all thr info i find says 120psi stock.also had they not added oil or not enough the 10-15mins i rode would have blew it up correct?

Here ya go what do you think?I took these at the guys place when i went to see it so theyre on my cell phone.

04banshee3.jpg

04banshee2.jpg

04banshee.jpg

Last edited:
Also what are the chances i can slap a set of oem sized pistons rings gaskets and so on without over boring?

What were the banshees issues or weak areas and links?

Me likie. You dont see many red banshees. Mod quad makes some fender supports cheap. Ive always disliked the rear fenders on a shee.

Me likie. You dont see many red banshees. Mod quad makes some fender supports cheap. Ive always disliked the rear fenders on a shee.

Does 120 psi sound right for a stock banshee? I was under the impression they were higher than that from the factory.

Good trade Budget_blaster, a fresh blaster and a chinese atv for a banshee is a GOOD trade.

120-125 is for stock Banshee. Same as Blaster, measure bore and clearance, if it's good might get away with just a set of rings.

BTW, GREAT trade I:I I:I I:I

Stock ex is just as quiet as Blaster and just as restrictive X(

Thanks guys!

Yea she was pissed when i came home and told her what i was doing but that all changed once she seen it.

Ok heres the "LOW DOWN" on on the banshee...

Called ken this morning (i mean really WTF else you really going to call for advice) and he gave me his blessings and congrats on the new toy and a lot of good info and advice (AS USUAL).So he said to redo a compression test and add a little oil to see if it jumps up and i did and heres what i found 105 in the left and 125 in the right.But it runs starts and idles really good.Ken said what i figured in that if theres no piston slap and the bores look good ill hone it and do a topend.

Now for the bad part i did find that at one time it broke a chain and took part of the upper case holve out but nothing that cant be fixed.
It looks like i can just grind down the break and smooth it all out.Ive cleaned up in the area of the break it doesnt appear to be much more than cosmetic but if i have to ill get a case halve.

Now for the plans and id like to know what you guys think i cant expect for HP.Here it goes wossner or wiseco forged top end and oem or cometic gaskets,milled head for a bump in compression,new seals,boysen dual stage reeds or vf3's budget permitting,toomey T6 full exhaust kit,Tusk clutch ki,rebuild the stock carbs,fmf boost bottle to get her where im happy with it and its reliable for a start.What do you guys think this bike should be like with those mods to start off with?

Also couple more questions whats the stock HP on an 04 banshee?Is there a downloadable manual like we have for the blasters?

Overall im pretty happy with it and the only thing missing is the headlights but for what i traded im not complaining at all.

sweet find bro!

Stock hp is around 42 but with those upgrades you may get closer to 50.. with port work more like 60. Why the t6's?

Well for the price range im in they appeared to be the best.The only others close to the price is the fatty's but the toomey kit gives me everything down to jetting for me that seems like a better bang for the buck also removes the guess work out of it and if not then atleast gets me damn close id think?

What exhaust is the best in my price range of around 500?Id like to be into this banshee for somewhere around 1000-1500 ready to ride and be reliable.Which considering the overall condition its going to be very possible.

Plus the way you guys rant and rave about toomey i figured in that price range if i had to choose toomey or fmf i thought toomey was better.

Set me straight...

I just don't know much about the t6's not that there is anything wrong with them I was just curious. I know a lot of guys run the t5's and like them. Keep an eye out for a used set of pipes to save some money maybe? I run some pro circuits and there great for trails and some open riding.I do hear good things about the fatties as well though. Haha. I would stick to your theme of budgetblaster or now budgetbanshee B-) keep us updated and are you going with some port work to match your pipes? Don't forget u can usually run +4 timming for a litle more pep as well

Yea thats funny thats actually the name i was going to use to join banshee headquarters lol.

No id prefer to go new on the exhaust and and any engine parts i can for peace of mind ive been looking for one of these for so long and to practically stumble into a deal like this is unheard of with my luck lol.The fmf stuff ive tried on my blasters and dirtbikes and theyre good i like them but ive read so many reviews from here on toomey stuff its peaked my interest to find out.Plus the vids on youtube are very intoxicating!

At this time i dont think im going to do any port work unless its needs and over bore and i can catch a good deal through ken.And to be honest next year i will be doing the BBK on it.I think the old lady inherited my blaster and ill be sporting the banshee so i want this thing eventually balls out and fully tricked out.

So paulieB the T6's are a better pipe im assuming?

So paulieB the T6's are a better pipe im assuming?
Not necessary. For some reason the t6 never caught on and that should tell you something.
This info comes from TDR racing: The t5 has a horsepower peak of around 8700 rpms.
The Pro-circuit platinum's have a HP peak of around 9000. The t6 has a hp peak of around slightly higher (9200?) then the t5.
Heres where it gets technical, the t5 and t6 will hit harder in the powerband then the pro-circuit but the pro-circuit will rev out higher before falling off and give better power down low.
Lots of guys like the hard hitting Toomey pipes.
Lots of guys like the pro-circuit's because they are more controllable and have wider powerband that stays on the pipe longer.
In the banshee world the FMF's are not that good. Some guys like them but most think the high end trade for low end is too much with that pipe and I agree- it's a Banshee, celebrate it haha.
All 4 pipes are way better then the stockers.
I choose the PC pipes because I like the wider powerband on the trails like most guys who have them.
For porting I recommend Flotek. I know Ken has a great rep here and he does good work jes I've never seen him do a shee...
BTW the PC pipes sound wicked like a shee should sound haha
Here's mine wearing Pro-Circuits

Last edited by a moderator: