Banshee head rescue and rechamber

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be an idea to cut the tool holder hole into the toolbar so that it is as close to as possible slightly above center.

I would then fill the hole with a plug and weld it in, so that the tool holder is supported on all sides and not just rely on set screws to hold it.

It would be an idea to cut the tool holder hole into the toolbar so that it is as close to as possible slightly above center.

I would then fill the hole with a plug and weld it in, so that the tool holder is supported on all sides and not just rely on set screws to hold it.

So you recommend "boxing" in the indexable carbide holder or welding the indexable carbide holder to the bar itself?

I understand getting it as close as possible to center to reduce the torque that the milling head spindle will see while working but I'm not sure about welding the indexable bit holder into the bar....

Not welding the bit in, but as you say boxing it in to provide support from all sides.

Under cutting forces I would fear that the tip holder would tend to move from under the screws if it was not fully enclosed.

Not welding the bit in, but as you say boxing it in to provide support from all sides.

Under cutting forces I would fear that the tip holder would tend to move from under the screws if it was not fully enclosed.

Gotcha. The changes will be incorporated in on a "flying" basis (BWAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!) as I get time.

I do not have a lathe but I worked for a long time in a factory that produced pistons for Ford Motor Company, tools had to be set just right as they had a very high standard of quality control.

I have said it before, I don't have an issue taking advice as long as it's offered in a non demeaning way! I:I :D

I'll throw some elbow grease on that fly cutter and tool bit and get back to Paulie's head again this week.

Finished pics as I finish stuff!

One thing about the fly cutter is that it has enough weight in it to gryoscopically keep it on the straight and narrow.

Just for giggles, I tried the fly cutter "as is".

Put on your safety glasses boys, we have chips a flying'!

DSCF1342.jpg

DSCF1343.jpg

Don't think I'm taking it easy just for show, this is a .011" swipe!

DSCF1346.jpg

Without the flash on you can see this thing whizzing on around. Turning about 250rpm, plenty fast for that carbide bit to knock off some aluminum!

DSCF1349.jpg

No worry about back cutting on this one..... it fits completely under the flycutter!

DSCF1350.jpg

No worries about the bit slipping during the cut (at least not at .011" cut depth)

DSCF1351.jpg

that would scare the crap outta me..... that big thing flyin around ... specially with my welding

I have two motto's.... nobody ever learned anything by swimming in the shallow end of the pool, and have REALLY good health and life insurance!!!!! I:I :D

The weld is the least of my worries, that shaft is actually a press fit all the way through the bar. The weld is only there to secure it so it can never move. The beauty of counterbalancing is that it swings around just as smooth as silk. No vibration, no noise (other than the whir of it swinging through the air), and no movement. In fact, it made a HELLOVA lot less noise than the 3" 5 bit face mill while cutting twice the amount of material (at the same feed speed even!).

Last edited:
So here we have the finished product. Another success story, just an unassuming stock banshee head right?

DSCF1359.jpg

Except, not so much!!!!

DSCF1357.jpg

DSCF1361.jpg

These are 19cc domes cut at 11 degrees for blaster pistons! Full on get it race cut head. Paulie thought he had a monster before...... MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Reactions: blasterfreek30
mad scientist said:
These are 19cc domes cut at 11 degrees for blaster pistons! Full on get it race cut head. Paulie thought he had a monster before...... MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!
Haha that's what I like to hear : D

SiCivicDude, I am kind of in favour of High Speed Steel bits for doing a job on aluminum like that. My reason is that carbide likes speed and pressure to get a good finish cut. Hard to get either on aluminum with a flycutter. A nice sharp HSS bit can give a beautiful finish and even shave off as little as a few thou if that is all you need off. Play! Experiment! Have fun! Looked great!

SiCivicDude, I am kind of in favour of High Speed Steel bits for doing a job on aluminum like that. My reason is that carbide likes speed and pressure to get a good finish cut. Hard to get either on aluminum with a flycutter. A nice sharp HSS bit can give a beautiful finish and even shave off as little as a few thou if that is all you need off. Play! Experiment! Have fun! Looked great!

Well, it is a 3/8" slot with set screws so I could put a piece of tool steel in there but I'm unsure how to grind the tip of it to take off as little as the carbide did per pass. The carbide seemed to parse aluminum off with absolutely no trouble but I wasn't terribly happy with the finish it left (a thousand little ridges). I ended up lapping it all down to a smooth finish anyway!

I guess the advantage of having a handful of busted heads laying around is I can experiment at some point with HSS and figure out what works.

Thanks everyone else for the kind words.

Status
Not open for further replies.