Another toy

Status
Not open for further replies.

sicivicdude

Apr 7, 2010
North Carolina
This is an interesting piece here.... it was actually part of the welder deal a few months back but it "didn't work" at sat in the corner until this weekend. While a storm had my welder unplugged from the wall, I decided to go ahead and look at this thing.

I did a little research on it. It's a Presto P18-20 and retails for $1148!!!!!! They sell used on equipment sites for $400. It weighs 300# but can lift and roll 1 TON. That's right.... 2,000# it's rated for...

DSC00295.jpg

It raises and lowers for positioning work...

DSC00296.jpg

DSC00294.jpg

It came with the Miller tig welder for $500....and the only thing wrong with it? The release pedal mechanism was stuck. It was pumping fine but it was going back down faster than you could pump it. I took it all apart, freed up the release pedal and it works like a new one (not that I would know exactly how a new one works.... I'd NEVER pay nearly $1,200 for this thing)

I just thought it was super cool and wanted to share!

It's a "my height" dinner table....

It's supposed to be used for manufacturing things by hand and then being able to slide them into other process areas. Imagine someone building an engine by hand. At some point it would leave that work station and go to a paint booth (or something similar). The table can be low so someone sitting on a stool can work on something and then raise and lower as needed to get the thing being worked on into other areas. They're apparently useful in manufacturing and heavy industry. I just took it because the guy said " take it or it's going to the scrap yard"

looks like you could lift a tranny into place if the vehicle was on a lift ?????

looks like you could lift a tranny into place if the vehicle was on a lift ?????

It would be one heck of a transmission to need a transmission jack like this LOL.

But yeah, I'm not going to be using this for heavy industrial work or manufacturing but I will be using it for my welding table. The top of it is like 3/16" thick steel plate and my positioning magnets hold to it like glue.

Well I wasn't going to take it at first because I was going to have to load it by myself! :eek: It's quoted as weighing 315# by the factory and I believe every single bit of it. It so happened the guy I bought the welder from was a strong young man like myself and we were able to lift it up and into the bed of my truck relatively easy.

I unloaded it in not such a nice fashion. I backed my bayou up to the bed of the truck and rolled the cart just onto the edge of the rack. I then drove the 4 wheeler out until the other set of wheels were sitting on the tailgate. I then tied the handle of the cart to a rope JUST long enough to let it sit on the ground and standing beside the bayou hit the throttle HARD. The 4 wheeler went speeding away, pulling the back wheels off of the tailgate of the truck and the rope pulled the front wheels off the rack of the 4 wheeler. It was a nearly seamless move as all 4 wheels on the cart hit the ground at nearly the same time. I then untied the rope from the bed of the truck to the rack of the 4 wheeler and used that same rope to drag the cart to the garage over the gravel. Once on the concrete it rolls smooth as ice though.

Status
Not open for further replies.