Forum Supporter Petition

Status
Not open for further replies.
answer to what lil bro ????, sorry i got caught up in the spelling bee

sry the way i stated it it didnt really sound like i wanted a reply. where is the money going? ads that non supporters see could easily pay for hosting. so where is all the supporter fees and donations going? they could easily upgrade vbulletin like kronik said and barely put a dent in the money supporters give. i feel like money is going in someones pocket. and this turned into a money maker for someone..

thoughts?

it is true, you can build your posts and get the same privileges as supporters

but i do it for the pride of being a paying, supporting member

matter of fact, the system just took my annual fee out of my paypal twice in the same day, did i ask for a refund, hell yeah, but couldnt get one, so i donated it for another of my bro's who's membership had lapsed

sry the way i stated it it didnt really sound like i wanted a reply. where is the money going? ads that non supporters see could easily pay for hosting. so where is all the supporter fees and donations going? they could easily upgrade vbulletin like kronik said and barely put a dent in the money supporters give. i feel like money is going in someones pocket. and this turned into a money maker for someone..

thoughts?

yep, it very well may be buying someones kids happy meals everyday ???
do i care ....nope !!!!!!
i made enuf money from here selling parts and brake kits to build 2 fairly nice blasters, (june botm even..... thanx bf.com)
$10 is a drop in the bucket for the returns i got
maybe i should go donate some, i feel guilty makin that much loot for the measly $40 i've paid in the last 3 years

and guess what derek, if you don't pay and i see your name not green,
i will pm freek and pay the damn $10 for you

now on with the revolt !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
civil war here we come

Last edited by a moderator:
I run a forum myself. Its about as big as this one...
Celicatech.com: Threads: 35,827 Posts: 456,820 Members: 5,315 Active Members: 2,133
BF.com: Threads: 40,013, Posts: 507,522, Members: 13,437

So BF.com has more members, but looking at my post statistics Im pretty close considering Im less than half. Ive also purged a lot of inactive members from my database. And Ill bet a lot of the members on this site are spambots that cant access their accounts, if cbaber purged every member whos registered and never made a post, Ill bet that number goes down ALOT. I know mine did.

Anyway I say this because I have experience. I agree with darederek to an extent. I do. However most likely, cbaber isnt making ALOT off this place off advertisements, and it kinda makes you wonder how long hed be inclined to keep it going in the event people stopped donating.

As for the update to vbulletin, VB4 does get you some features, but its a total and complete pain in the ass to port VB3x to VB4x visually. Youd likely lose your theme, unless the company that sold him the theme has ongoing support for the new version.

I have a lot of experience in running sites like this. I actually have 2 (one of them is a local smallfry site for my Toyota MR2 buddies in Utah here, and one is a worldwide Toyota Celica site). And one thing is, from a users perpspective you have to ask yourself a few questions... 1) does the damn site work? does it have issues that need to be addressed on say a server level? 2) do you like it enough to pay for it? Do you like it enough to pay for it knowing if you didnt pay for it maybe it wouldnt be around? I dunno.

I dunno how cbaber works. I dont know if he used to love this shizz and it got away from him, or if hes one of those guys who takes a good idea and capitalizes on it. Im one of the guys who loves this shizz. I sell subscriptions too. I give value for mine tho. So its all about what you get for your moolah, and where you feel your moolah is going.

Its a free country, you have freedom to spend your money any way you want. I chose to donate to this site initially so I could use the marketplace. I was a noob, I garnered information, etc. Now I find myself one of the guys who can help answer questions. I still have my fair share, but in terms of questions, my return is greater than my take (I give back more than I take from the community), but I still dont feel my money is wasted.

I honestly dont really care how the site is, as long as it works, and its here for me when I need it, and there arent popup ads and sh*t on here.

Thats my take on it. However, I also agree with the stand of the members that donate, that if they want change, and they arent being heard, they feel like theyre kind of wasting their money, cause its like theyre putting more into this place than the owner is, and if the owner doesnt give a sh*t, then why should they? I get that.

So, I fully support this thread in that regard. If darederek can get the owner to do something back the community can see their money got them, then more power to you.

On my website, I guess its a little more personal. When we wanted to buy a photo gallery software, I just made a thread asking people for help. People donated, my memberbase paid for most of it, and what they didnt pay for, I picked up. Same thing with my VB license. I raised enough money by asking my members for help. Most of the time people WANT to belong to something, they WANT to be part of something, they WANT to help out cause it makes them feel good about themselves.

Thats how I see it. Im pretty sure if cbaber popped in here and said, look guys, I dont make enough money off this place to buy the forum softwares I need or pay someone to do the work on here you want done, people would be willing to throw down for it. If money isnt really the issue, and he just doesnt want to make time to do it, then you gotta think about loyalty. His loyalty to the people who are supporting his work is lacking. The peoples loyalty to him could be being misplaced.

Keep in mind thats not how I feel, Im just giving scenarios. Just kinda giving everyone insight from someone whos done it before. Im sure some of you other guys have ran forums too. Maybe not as big as this, or Celicatech, but still.

Sounds like your kissing ass now because you realize awk is going to win this debate

far as im concerned were deep in this one. no one won anything.

yep, it very well may be buying someones kids happy meals everyday ???
do i care ....nope !!!!!!
i made enuf money from here selling parts and brake kits to build 2 fairly nice blasters, (june botm even..... thanx bf.com)
$10 is a drop in the bucket for the returns i got
maybe i should go donate some, i feel guilty makin that much loot for the measly $40 i've paid in the last 3 years

see, i dont think i should pay into someones pocket. the way i look at it this site shouldnt be a money maker for someone. it doesnt seem like it could be. and really i made like 50 on here. and i bought 40 of goods and my $10 supporter fee. but i dont need to. i would be happy to drop in the bucket if i was getting what i feel was my worth is. but i will rarely sell something on here. just not what i do. and no changes are made on here. i feel for the vast number of supporters. it would be worth spending a couple hours making the sight better. especially if the money is going in this persons pocket. (im avoiding names)

Oh, dont get me wrong darederek. It can be a lot of work running a forum. If you dont think the owner deserves to be paid a little for his time, you need to donate more of yours to people who are ungrateful of the time you give them (Im not saying YOU are ungrateful, Im just saying the masses)

Theres no doubt he should be able to say he made enough for tomorrow nights dinner off his work here. I have no issues with that. However, I also understand where youre coming from by saying "where is my money going?" etc.

I run a forum myself. Its about as big as this one...
Celicatech.com: Threads: 35,827 Posts: 456,820 Members: 5,315 Active Members: 2,133
BF.com: Threads: 40,013, Posts: 507,522, Members: 13,437

So BF.com has more members, but looking at my post statistics Im pretty close considering Im less than half. Ive also purged a lot of inactive members from my database. And Ill bet a lot of the members on this site are spambots that cant access their accounts, if cbaber purged every member whos registered and never made a post, Ill bet that number goes down ALOT. I know mine did.

Anyway I say this because I have experience. I agree with darederek to an extent. I do. However most likely, cbaber isnt making ALOT off this place off advertisements, and it kinda makes you wonder how long hed be inclined to keep it going in the event people stopped donating.

As for the update to vbulletin, VB4 does get you some features, but its a total and complete pain in the ass to port VB3x to VB4x visually. Youd likely lose your theme, unless the company that sold him the theme has ongoing support for the new version.

I have a lot of experience in running sites like this. I actually have 2 (one of them is a local smallfry site for my Toyota MR2 buddies in Utah here, and one is a worldwide Toyota Celica site). And one thing is, from a users perpspective you have to ask yourself a few questions... 1) does the damn site work? does it have issues that need to be addressed on say a server level? 2) do you like it enough to pay for it? Do you like it enough to pay for it knowing if you didnt pay for it maybe it wouldnt be around? I dunno.

I dunno how cbaber works. I dont know if he used to love this shizz and it got away from him, or if hes one of those guys who takes a good idea and capitalizes on it. Im one of the guys who loves this shizz. I sell subscriptions too. I give value for mine tho. So its all about what you get for your moolah, and where you feel your moolah is going.

Its a free country, you have freedom to spend your money any way you want. I chose to donate to this site initially so I could use the marketplace. I was a noob, I garnered information, etc. Now I find myself one of the guys who can help answer questions. I still have my fair share, but in terms of questions, my return is greater than my take (I give back more than I take from the community), but I still dont feel my money is wasted.

I honestly dont really care how the site is, as long as it works, and its here for me when I need it, and there arent popup ads and sh*t on here.

Thats my take on it. However, I also agree with the stand of the members that donate, that if they want change, and they arent being heard, they feel like theyre kind of wasting their money, cause its like theyre putting more into this place than the owner is, and if the owner doesnt give a sh*t, then why should they? I get that.

So, I fully support this thread in that regard. If darederek can get the owner to do something back the community can see their money got them, then more power to you.

On my website, I guess its a little more personal. When we wanted to buy a photo gallery software, I just made a thread asking people for help. People donated, my memberbase paid for most of it, and what they didnt pay for, I picked up. Same thing with my VB license. I raised enough money by asking my members for help. Most of the time people WANT to belong to something, they WANT to be part of something, they WANT to help out cause it makes them feel good about themselves.

Thats how I see it. Im pretty sure if cbaber popped in here and said, look guys, I dont make enough money off this place to buy the forum softwares I need or pay someone to do the work on here you want done, people would be willing to throw down for it.

all i can say to this is i agree 100%.. also thanks for informing me about the pain the vbulletin upgrade is. and if cbaber said in a thread, hey guys, i want to upgrade to the new vbulletin, but i need to get that and i have to have a new theme, people would donate, if i knew i would get somethin from it. i would probably donate at least something

Oh, dont get me wrong darederek. It can be a lot of work running a forum. If you dont think the owner deserves to be paid a little for his time, you need to donate more of yours to people who are ungrateful of the time you give them (Im not saying YOU are ungrateful, Im just saying the masses)

Theres no doubt he should be able to say he made enough for tomorrow nights dinner off his work here. I have no issues with that. However, I also understand where youre coming from by saying "where is my money going?" etc.

oh he should get something, but kronik said for current supporters its like aroudn $1500 just in supporter fees for the year? that isnt considering donations. for $1500 a year im going to start a forum lol

i don't see anything wrong with whoever feels like it, getting filthy dirty rich from any endeavor they so please,
someone is eating egg foo young, and suishi like a mo-fo right now from the blaster you ride, yeah even though you bought it used, the money originally went to japan, and we still bought them from 88-06 without much change, but all we do is cry now, cause we no longer can buy them at all
i'd be lost without this great place, just as it is
we're eatin caviar here right now, lets not biotch cause it's not off a silver spoon !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.