4mil build

I took carb completely apart, blew air thru all the airways, adjusted float height, now my bike has a real pingy noise after I switched levers on the handlebar for the clutch and tied the 2 wires together for the parking brake safety....now I'm back at square one...I pushed it to the side for now:confused:

Last edited:
boogy to pingy
does it sound like a normal blaster should sound they do ping?
Ken built the motor correct,all you should have had to do is put your carb on:D
jet it, break it in ect

Well it idled really good then changed the handlebar perch and got rid of the rest of the cables...now it has a whole new tune... hard pinging, and adjusted clutch everywhere can't get bike to move even after warming up for 6-7 mins...motor hot to the touch.....thought about changing oil too...already dark....thought oil could be a problem...I used maxxima racing 80w oil...already noticed small metal shavings in the oil... I am stumped on this....

Whoa, hold up, if you have noticed metal shavings in the oil, start it no more until you have found where they are coming from?

Well i had Ken put in a whole new clutch kit....Until today, no... I pulled the clutch basket and unstacked 7 friction, and 6 metal plates, all back in....everything checked okay...looked for the ball bearing, and I believe I saw it in there...I don't know why it's not engaging...

Probably should have called the builder, now it's all on you.

You have an adjustment problem. Here's the test I advised.

Remove clutch cable
Engage neutral and see if the tires turn. (They do)
Shift into first gear and see if the tires lock up. (they do)
Grab the actuating lever with channel locks and test to see if it opens the clutch pressure plate. (It does)

As far as any shavings in the oil, my best guess would be it's a small amount of material from the clutch bass. If the cable is over adjusted, the plates are just bouncing around inside of the hub and the boss. That might even explain the sound you're hearing after you changed the perch. Get a new (not used) clutch cable, check the cable holder on the side of the cylinder and make sure it's not bent, set the clutch cable free play according to the Yamaha service manual. What perch are you using? What lever? New or used?

I took carb completely apart, blew air thru all the airways, adjusted float height, now my bike has a real pingy noise after I switched levers on the handlebar for the clutch and tied the 2 wires together for the parking brake safety....now I'm back at square one...I pushed it to the side for now:confused:

well all you do in unhook the parking break connectors at both ends...That's it with the parking break.
you should not have the parking break wires twisted together
among'st all other issues going on :)
unless you mean something else?

You have an adjustment problem. Here's the test I advised.

Remove clutch cable
Engage neutral and see if the tires turn. (They do)
Shift into first gear and see if the tires lock up. (they do)
Grab the actuating lever with channel locks and test to see if it opens the clutch pressure plate. (It does)

As far as any shavings in the oil, my best guess would be it's a small amount of material from the clutch bass. If the cable is over adjusted, the plates are just bouncing around inside of the hub and the boss. That might even explain the sound you're hearing after you changed the perch. Get a new (not used) clutch cable, check the cable holder on the side of the cylinder and make sure it's not bent, set the clutch cable free play according to the Yamaha service manual. What perch are you using? What lever? New or used?
It was an old stock clutch perch, a buddy let me have, guess I'm gonna just pony up and buy a new clutch cable, to eliminate that as an option.....then we'll go from there....

well all you do in unhook the parking break connectors at both ends...That's it with the parking break.
you should not have the parking break wires twisted together
among'st all other issues going on :)
unless you mean something else?
Disconnected the ones tied together under the hood, fixed the crazy idle problem I had....just gotta get a new cable and start from there....

So it's been a while, not angry with the blasty no more and ready to tackle this....just wanna see what you guys think of the TORS delete, and see if you see anything wrong.... also have the black and yellow/black tied together in the rear

Attachments

• 1432683821205.jpg
    1432683821205.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 304
Looking good! Does this mean we'll see powder coating discounts coming our way?!?! LOL
And no blaster is ever actually finished.... it always turns out to be "finished.... for a while."

Looking good! Does this mean we'll see powder coating discounts coming our way?!?! LOL
And no blaster is ever actually finished.... it always turns out to be "finished.... for a while."
Yea I don't mind hooking up BF members, I'm sure you guys wouldn't want big parts done due to shipping costs, but hey if you got it like that, then I'm all game...I got one blaster frame under my belt, I could do it again...:)

I might have to take you up on that offer in the near future!:)

Got any other plans for paint as you put it all back together?

I have that black prismatic clear coat paint over black base on my black bikes frame, powder would even be sweeter :)

Ohh it is:) I already bumped the frame on metal, and it didn't even scratch the finish... tough as nails...I used a dremel to grind off some of the clear coat that had began to drip off one part, and I had to do it for a good minute to get it to grind off even with a dremel...I love this stuff!:D Two coat applications are even cooler:cool: