2001 Blaster build project

Clownkin

Apr 26, 2020
So I posted in the intro the clifnotes version but I figured I would post here the full breakdown. The help and advice given so far has already been amazing. So here it goes. I was given the chance to snag a 2001 blaster with a title (in florida = big deal). The bike looked super clean and well taken care of. It started first kick when I went to see it but I did not right it, and assume it was already started and warm when I got there. The bike came home with me and took me a few days to dig into it. Heres my starting point. Not bad I know.
2020_0417_21094541_44.jpg

2020_0417_21095991_1_46.jpg

2020_0417_21100932_1_46.jpg

First things I found where the right rear tire was flat (just needed a plug but I didnt like the look of the fat tires anyway) The bike was also wicked hard to start and when I finally did get it going I had to half throttle it or more to keep it running. I still didnt ride it. I got it warm for a few and then shut it off. I knew it was going to need a lot. But the motor sounded strong and compression was ok so I would leave that part alone for now. When I went to take the wheels off I quickly found the bolts to be seized. In fact many bolts on it were over tightened and seized. The bike although in good shape was not very well maintenance. The owner I got it from said they had never then opened the air box. I started ripping it apart. My initial idea was take the entire axle into the shop where I could use heavier tools to get the wheels off and do everything else at the house. quickly ended up like this...
20200420_094040_46.jpg

20200420_094033_1_1_44.jpg

First things first. Lets order some parts.
- Carb rebuild kit
- K&N air filter
- Chain and sprocket 12/40
- Fuel tank petcock
- Front wheel spacers
- Honda rear hubs
- Rear grab bar
- Alba nerf bars
- spark plug
- Front and rear lowering kit

So yeah mostly maintenance stuff and nothing crazy expensive. My goal here was to get the bike running good and reliably first.
20200426_165830_46_1_44.jpg

Rear grab bar went on first. Just to help with moving things around. I took the front hubs off to check the breaks and clean everything up. I decided on a green and black color but didnt want to go way overboard by painting the frame and stuff. I liked that the frame was not painted and didnt want to ruin that. Started to paint pieces John deer rustoleum. Also had found a good deal on a banshee rear axle and thought I would give that a shot (big mistake there). Also at this point I ordered a few more parts.

20200429_191747_44.jpg

Got the rear axle mounted up and the new honda wheels on. Love the wheels. The offset actually pushed them out about 2 inches. The axle sent it further then I wanted them to be. Looked silly imo.
20200502_183140_44.jpg

The idea was starting to come alone. Wheels are painted as well as hubs and footpegs. The lowering kit is on the front and wheel spacers push the front out 3 inches. Carb is rebuilt and the bike actually runs but the idle in insanely high. At this point im not completely sure what I did wrong. Did I mess something up during the rebuild of the carb or did I put something on wrong putting it back together. After lots of reading on here, my final guess is it is either a TORS issue (was half removed when i got it), and air leak, or I messed up the carb. So first things first. Take the carb off and double check the needle is seated well, and remove the tors completely.
20200502_183159_44.jpg

Yay whatever I did fixed the idle issue. I think it was the tors system. Time to take the bike into the shop. Removing the axle is going to be a pain and I can get it done much faster there. Lets load it into the truck tonight so we can take to the shop in the morning. Of course it fits like a glove with room to spare.
20200504_211743_44.jpg

At the shop we install the stock axle. The Alba nerf bars, rear lowering kit, and get everything bolted down tight. This was also the chance to take my first ride. Rode it down the dirt road near my shop and back. It ran great. I was finally excited. I could see the light at the end of the project and knew it would be soon time to rip it. But not before ordering more parts.
20200507_174009_44.jpg

So the bike is mostly done. Everything I ordered is installed and it runs and rides great. What else needs to get done. I want to get all the stickers off the bike from the previous owner. They arnt the worst. Just not exactly my thing. Well heres what i ordered and would like to do in the next coming weeks.

- 290 jet for the carb (recommended by another member on here. Thanks!)
- kfx 400 front and rear shocks
- suzuki gsxr 600 katana rear hydro breaks
- Protaper handlebars (shipping from china so ill get them around xmas)o_O

Thanks for reading. Will post more as this build evolves. I still have not gotten a chance to get it out and test it more then just around the neighborhood a couple laps. So that should be fun. I am sure I will want to change a few things once I get out out to ride. I will also try and get a video up as soon as I can. I took a video of it when I first got it day one. I just need to make a current video of it now that its all fixed up.

I live in a fairly suburban area in florida so I need to find a good place to ride and test besides my neighborhood. I have only ever been to crooms one time. I did like it but it might not be the best place for a build like this one. I still would like to go to ocala. I really like the sandy trail ride, but need to find someone to ride with as its pretty open and im not familiar with the area yet.

So I posted in the intro the clifnotes version but I figured I would post here the full breakdown. The help and advice given so far has already been amazing. So here it goes. I was given the chance to snag a 2001 blaster with a title (in florida = big deal). The bike looked super clean and well taken care of. It started first kick when I went to see it but I did not right it, and assume it was already started and warm when I got there. The bike came home with me and took me a few days to dig into it. Heres my starting point. Not bad I know. View attachment 34581
View attachment 34582
View attachment 34583
First things I found where the right rear tire was flat (just needed a plug but I didnt like the look of the fat tires anyway) The bike was also wicked hard to start and when I finally did get it going I had to half throttle it or more to keep it running. I still didnt ride it. I got it warm for a few and then shut it off. I knew it was going to need a lot. But the motor sounded strong and compression was ok so I would leave that part alone for now. When I went to take the wheels off I quickly found the bolts to be seized. In fact many bolts on it were over tightened and seized. The bike although in good shape was not very well maintenance. The owner I got it from said they had never then opened the air box. I started ripping it apart. My initial idea was take the entire axle into the shop where I could use heavier tools to get the wheels off and do everything else at the house. quickly ended up like this...
View attachment 34584
View attachment 34585

First things first. Lets order some parts.
- Carb rebuild kit
- K&N air filter
- Chain and sprocket 12/40
- Fuel tank petcock
- Front wheel spacers
- Honda rear hubs
- Rear grab bar
- Alba nerf bars
- spark plug
- Front and rear lowering kit

So yeah mostly maintenance stuff and nothing crazy expensive. My goal here was to get the bike running good and reliably first.
View attachment 34586

Rear grab bar went on first. Just to help with moving things around. I took the front hubs off to check the breaks and clean everything up. I decided on a green and black color but didnt want to go way overboard by painting the frame and stuff. I liked that the frame was not painted and didnt want to ruin that. Started to paint pieces John deer rustoleum. Also had found a good deal on a banshee rear axle and thought I would give that a shot (big mistake there). Also at this point I ordered a few more parts.

View attachment 34587

Got the rear axle mounted up and the new honda wheels on. Love the wheels. The offset actually pushed them out about 2 inches. The axle sent it further then I wanted them to be. Looked silly imo.
View attachment 34588

The idea was starting to come alone. Wheels are painted as well as hubs and footpegs. The lowering kit is on the front and wheel spacers push the front out 3 inches. Carb is rebuilt and the bike actually runs but the idle in insanely high. At this point im not completely sure what I did wrong. Did I mess something up during the rebuild of the carb or did I put something on wrong putting it back together. After lots of reading on here, my final guess is it is either a TORS issue (was half removed when i got it), and air leak, or I messed up the carb. So first things first. Take the carb off and double check the needle is seated well, and remove the tors completely. View attachment 34589

Yay whatever I did fixed the idle issue. I think it was the tors system. Time to take the bike into the shop. Removing the axle is going to be a pain and I can get it done much faster there. Lets load it into the truck tonight so we can take to the shop in the morning. Of course it fits like a glove with room to spare. View attachment 34590

At the shop we install the stock axle. The Alba nerf bars, rear lowering kit, and get everything bolted down tight. This was also the chance to take my first ride. Rode it down the dirt road near my shop and back. It ran great. I was finally excited. I could see the light at the end of the project and knew it would be soon time to rip it. But not before ordering more parts.
View attachment 34591

So the bike is mostly done. Everything I ordered is installed and it runs and rides great. What else needs to get done. I want to get all the stickers off the bike from the previous owner. They arnt the worst. Just not exactly my thing. Well heres what i ordered and would like to do in the next coming weeks.

- 290 jet for the carb (recommended by another member on here. Thanks!)
- kfx 400 front and rear shocks
- suzuki gsxr 600 katana rear hydro breaks
- Protaper handlebars (shipping from china so ill get them around xmas)o_O

Thanks for reading. Will post more as this build evolves. I still have not gotten a chance to get it out and test it more then just around the neighborhood a couple laps. So that should be fun. I am sure I will want to change a few things once I get out out to ride. I will also try and get a video up as soon as I can. I took a video of it when I first got it day one. I just need to make a current video of it now that its all fixed up.

I live in a fairly suburban area in florida so I need to find a good place to ride and test besides my neighborhood. I have only ever been to crooms one time. I did like it but it might not be the best place for a build like this one. I still would like to go to ocala. I really like the sandy trail ride, but need to find someone to ride with as its pretty open and im not familiar with the area yet.
Looks like your getting there:cool:

Looks like you are off to a great start. I would highly recommend a leak down test. As far as jetting, I would get 300, 290,280,270 jets, where you live you will probably be in the 280-290 range but you never know. KFX400 front shocks will not fit, the rear will fit with KOR bushings and drilling out the bottom of shock (information on this site), highly recommend this MOD, big difference over stock rear shock.

Yeah bummer about the front shocks. Got them as a set so no problem there. I'll still use the rear. I got the bushing kit and will drill the bottom piece tomorrow. Will add pics as it comes along. Waiting on the jet to arrive before digging back into her.

Wellllllllll I couldn't wait for more parts :/ The rear kfx400 shock went in super easy. Way easier than I thought it would. I grabbed the rear shock off Ebay. It was in very good shape.
20200514_210017_resize_13.jpg

I used two different bits to drill out to the right size.
20200514_210031_resize_8.jpg

The shock went in without any fuss. Had to get some markings off.
20200514_214530_resize_27.jpg
20200514_214601_resize_43.jpg

Now unfortunately I have 3 different color greens on my bike :( rip oh well.
20200514_214656_resize_70.jpg

Shes sitting just a tiny bit too low for me. I thought the kfx shock would raise the rear end but it seems to be about the same ride hight of the stock spring. I also have it way to soft for my size. I will need to make adjustments in the next few days. I will be moving the lowering kit in the rear up one inch. Should be perfect for where I want it.
20200514_215033_resize_8.jpg

Wellllllllll I couldn't wait for more parts :/ The rear kfx400 shock went in super easy. Way easier than I thought it would. I grabbed the rear shock off Ebay. It was in very good shape. View attachment 34611
I used two different bits to drill out to the right size. View attachment 34612
The shock went in without any fuss. Had to get some markings off.View attachment 34614 View attachment 34615
Now unfortunately I have 3 different color greens on my bike :( rip oh well. View attachment 34617
Shes sitting just a tiny bit too low for me. I thought the kfx shock would raise the rear end but it seems to be about the same ride hight of the stock spring. I also have it way to soft for my size. I will need to make adjustments in the next few days. I will be moving the lowering kit in the rear up one inch. Should be perfect for where I want it. View attachment 34618
Might have to adjust the spring. I think most are setup for 170-180 lbs rider.you don't want to go to much though.the spring will have to much stored energy and make for a harder ride. The ideal way is to put in the correct spring for your weight.

Tomorrows project includes leak down test. Plus I'm going to see what I can do to clean up the old fmf fatty header. The carb will remain off until I get the new jet (damn slow amazon, should have gone with ebay). Rechecked all the bolts to make sure everything is tight. Discovered the lower chain roller is trashed so I'll be picking up one of those as well.
20200515_222801_resize_63.jpg

Reactions: Slydog
Tomorrows project includes leak down test. Plus I'm going to see what I can do to clean up the old fmf fatty header. The carb will remain off until I get the new jet (damn slow amazon, should have gone with ebay). Rechecked all the bolts to make sure everything is tight. Discovered the lower chain roller is trashed so I'll be picking up one of those as well. View attachment 34619
For the pipe. Fold up a square of aluminum foil. Dip it in a container of water and start rubbing it on the pipe in one area till clean and foil rub smoothly on pipe. Keep dipping foil in water as it will turn black with the chemical reaction it has with the rust.it is slow going but the results are amazing.
Nice green and black. Those Alba nerfs?

found a leak in the exhaust and around the reeds. luckily no others so i would be ripping into the top end til i blow it up. Put the bike back together even tho I said I wasnt going to. Had to check to see how it was after the leaks fixed. Wow world of difference. The idle before was taking a extra few seconds to come back down after reving. Now it pops down just like it should. Quick little snaps and it has a smooth up and down power curve. Still havent really gotten on it. Did a few laps around the neighborhood but I still want to get the carb jetted. Looks like next weekend will be its maiden voyage assuming I dont break anything in the meantime. Will try and get videos of its first ride and lots of pictures.

Reactions: Slydog
found a leak in the exhaust and around the reeds. luckily no others so i would be ripping into the top end til i blow it up. Put the bike back together even tho I said I wasnt going to. Had to check to see how it was after the leaks fixed. Wow world of difference. The idle before was taking a extra few seconds to come back down after reving. Now it pops down just like it should. Quick little snaps and it has a smooth up and down power curve. Still havent really gotten on it. Did a few laps around the neighborhood but I still want to get the carb jetted. Looks like next weekend will be its maiden voyage assuming I dont break anything in the meantime. Will try and get videos of its first ride and lots of pictures.
tapp.the reed area is a super common leak area. Bolts really should be Tourqed. They get over tightend. Alot.sounds like she's getting close?

Tomorrows project includes leak down test. Plus I'm going to see what I can do to clean up the old fmf fatty header. The carb will remain off until I get the new jet (damn slow amazon, should have gone with ebay). Rechecked all the bolts to make sure everything is tight. Discovered the lower chain roller is trashed so I'll be picking up one of those as well. View attachment 34619
Search member 79 Bronco, he did a slick mod using Banshee rollers.

Really wanted to go with green front suspension but got a good deal on these black ones on ebay. The bike they came off is unknown but they are 14 3/4 long and seem to be in great shape. They are much softer than the stock blaster shocks and actually have some rebound to them which mine did not at all.
IMG_20200524_145558_compress90.jpg
IMG_20200524_150326_compress11.jpg
IMG_20200524_150337_compress45.jpg

Clearance is completely fine during all stages of travel. Used a jack to lift it all the way off the ground and there still room. Not much but its there. Still waiting on my 290 jet to come in to put the carb back together. Then out for a ride. I'm thinking maybe the ocala area.

Really wanted to go with green front suspension but got a good deal on these black ones on ebay. The bike they came off is unknown but they are 14 3/4 long and seem to be in great shape. They are much softer than the stock blaster shocks and actually have some rebound to them which mine did not at all. View attachment 34644 View attachment 34645 View attachment 34646
Clearance is completely fine during all stages of travel. Used a jack to lift it all the way off the ground and there still room. Not much but its there. Still waiting on my 290 jet to come in to put the carb back together. Then out for a ride. I'm thinking maybe the ocala area.
You only bought the one jet? Ussualy you want a couple smaller and bigger jets. To fine tune and for temp changes. Looking