Checking Interest: Custom Swingarms

Props to ya! Great display of planning & craftsmanship. Nice carrier too. If your side rails are narrower than stock to fit that carrier ya might have to be creative to make your shock mount adjustable :) Glad to see someone take a little extra time to make an arm to work with their shock of choice and not just weld on mounts for a stock shock. +rep
Burp...

Last edited:
awesome job on the swinger bro......defently looks like u took ur time planning everything out... and its coming out like "fine dining" bro, have some greens man

thanks guys!I 've been weldingit up tonight. Gonna start the gusseting soon. Also gonna buy new bearings with it. The mount for the shock will be center wise on theswinger. Gonna move it up to compensate for the height issue. Also wondering about geometry with placement of the shock.

012.jpg

011.jpg

010.jpg

009-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

dude you really made those??????????? HOLY crap those are nice....are they strong????????

This is my first swingarm...so I'll be the first to test it. I still gotta ass some gusseting but i will guarantee it won't break.

All I gotta say is Miller....I love my welder! I can make some good beads with that sucker...But the gusseting will be done with 1x1 tubing and I'm gonna try and make it look.

Been using .030 wire on thje welder....thinking of bumping up to .035 but I don't want too much current and burn thru on the metal

Looks really nice bro.Glad to see you went through with the idea.Can't wait for the finished product.Great job!!

i think im the only person to see the bad thing here...where ur oil plug bro!!! lol gonna get all the dust and grim get in the freshly put together motor?

Swinger tho looks great like ive said already..lol watchout the swingarmshop might steal the designs. lol

Just wonderin. Did you assemble the carrier, axle & sprocket hub to locate where to weld the arms to the front bearing tubes for sprocket alignment? Looks different but that may be cuz it's narrower. I've never worked with a round house carrier or a Shee axle before. This is good stuff.
Thanks for sharing!

That sidecase is getting torn off again and everything blown out. It's just on there for looks right now.

what i did was cut the pieces to exact length, cut the pivot tubes, then measured. Then cut the carrier housing and put it on there, sit on a measured level ground, then put the level inside the carrier to make sure it was level before I tacked it into place. Then stuck a level back on everything to make sure again. Then cut a piece of 1x2 and measured it to make sure it was square, and leveled up the 1x2 piece Tacked it into place, and checked square again. I made sure there was at least 1/16th" hangover on each side of the carrier for a bead to lay around that. Then i cut another piece of 1x2 for the rear, a couple of inches away from the carrier for gusseting. Welded everything up, and before i welded the pivot tubes, I put in old bearings and plastic inset and slid a bolt thru that to make sure it was lined up. Then tacked that while it was on the 4 wheeler to ensure the pivots still worked. Then took it off the bile and welded everything up. All of this was done with the motor on so I would have proper alignment between pivot points. Grinded down some welds with a flap disk to make sure the welds were smooth. Didn't take off too much tho so i would have plenty of weld left on the joints. I took a hole saw and cut out recessed places for the shock mount and drilled the holes big enough to get a bolt through. Took some cast iron pipe and welded inside the shock mount holes to enclose it and make sure a socked would fit into it to change out the shock. Stuck the shock on and looked at it. Oh...I took the old swingarm and looked at the shock mount and compensated for that and marked it and put a straight line with a square. Found center and drilled thru the first layer with the hole saw on na drill press.

Tomorrow is the gusseting and securing the brake caliper plate. After this weekend I'll powder coat it. Also putting some tubing over the bolt holding the shock on to stabilize it more. Then cutting the old chain guide plate off and welding it on too. Still got some more to do to it...