Checking Interest: Custom Swingarms

017.jpg

016.jpg

015.jpg

014.jpg

013.jpg

Last edited:
good deal,the 2nd pic looks like its twisted..i know its just the pic tho...and thats the wierded shock mount ive seen...just a bolt..lol not worried about it snapping?

personally if it was mine, i'd put a tube all the way through and then cut it and cap it where shock goes through in the center

Thats what I'm gonna do for the shock mount....it's gonna be wrapped in tubing and maybe a stronger bolt....or maybe a solid rod and threaded on the end to go thru the lock nut. Maybe tack the lock not in so it won't move at all. this is just a trial run and I'm gonna tweak alot of it before it gets coated. I also gotta add some skid plate mounting holes to it as well and tap them. I second guessed the twisting but it turned out to be square. I had some 1x1 12 gauge square tubing in big pieces so that will be used for gusseting. It's really no heavier than the stock swingarm. Once it's all done, I will beat it up badly and give a review. not bad for 2 days work so far with no jigs?

Lookin good. Now make a jig around it for building more. A good jig will make building quicker and eliminate any heat distortion/warpage when welding... on the shock mount, cut your tubes oversize, then slide them all the way to the shock, cut and weld and brace. that will make a much stronger shock mount. A grade 8 bolt is all you need.

http://www.blasterforum.com/custom-...custom-swingarms-22595/index3.html#post262386

Attachments

• 100_0436.jpg
    100_0436.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 240
I put the gussets on the carrier tonight. Still have some gussets left for the pivot points, I am putting the weld on thick to round off the welds and blend them in and make it look nice. Then i gotta grind some more on the shock mount, weld it up, gusset that, and dress them welds up also. When it's done it will be one of a kind.

I will start building round carrier swingarms once everyone will see mine and approve. Also after testing it too, which i have no doubt it will hold up well.

I will post up pics after its done and ready for powder.

Yeh them pivots are a PITA...I messed with lining them up before and once I welded, not lined up anymore. Good idea tho...Thanks for the update. I got the shock mount idea from you...but it's not long travel. You'll see once I get it on there. I used the top support from the front a arm and hacked them off, and used the pin going thru it with the bolt inside of that for support for the shock. I figured it would be better than a bolt...maybe a grade 8 would work but I didn't wanna chance that.

You gotta make yourself a jig man, it will make your life soooooo much easier...

Solid steel round stock going thru the pivots so they cant warp, stops so they slide on and line up perfect, the axle rests on V blocks and eveything is squared up and true so you can weld away without lining stuff up. When you make/cut pieces do enough for several swingarms at once, everything will stay consitant and you can whip them out a lot quicker.

Picture009.jpg

Picture006.jpg

So to make your jig, how did you secure the round stock to the mounts on the side? I know you of course put a level on it before you welded just to make sure it was straight.

Cutting your holes...I use a hole saw with a drill press and it usually don't leave very clean cuts? I use oil when cutting but I always gotta clean them up with a dremel. Also, for cutting your 1x2 for the carrier, what size hole saw did you use for that?

If you wanna Pm this info that's cool...but thanks alot for all your knowledge. You actually inspired me to build my own instead of going the extend my stocker route. Much cheaper to buy the stuff too...