Checking Interest: Custom Swingarms

callmej75

Jul 12, 2009
Roanoke, VA
Me and Cootees off the site are thinking of building some custom swingarms. All we need is a tubing notcher, provided we have the welder and other materials to do this already. We are going to check interest here and see what you guys think? These would be offered with custom powder coating as well, and round style housings mounted with the option for you to buy your own carrier, or we supply the carrier with it. We figured with the carriers supplied, starting at $350 powder coated, or $300 without powder coating and you guys paint to your specific application. These would have the round tubing, ranging from 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" size tubing.

If we have a good interest here, we may start doing this as soon as possible.

Not really....was looking at the swingarms that CP Customs makes, and expanding on that. Not meaning to steal their idea, but make one that is our own design rather than "copying" theirs.

Freek....In order to use your carrier, does it mate up to the stock carrier design, rather than using the round style?

Pictures are a must.... Once I get my current bike completely done I'm wanting to build one from the frame up. This would be a great addition....

Not really....was looking at the swingarms that CP Customs makes, and expanding on that. Not meaning to steal their idea, but make one that is our own design rather than "copying" theirs.

Freek....In order to use your carrier, does it mate up to the stock carrier design, rather than using the round style?

yea its just the same as a 03 stock carrier just billet

using 1x2 rectangle .120 wall mild steel will be much easier and cost effective. you will need to do some machine work to make the carrier housing and the pivot tubes. JJ (http://jjandaracing.com/en-us/dept_15.html) also sells those pieces. if you use moly you can get away with .095 wall. The amount of man hours into building a round tube swingarm at your price point really isn't cost effective. I still have a couple sets of laser cut 'ears' for the stock carrier style I could sell. I could also help if you want to make a true long travel swingarm using say a 250r shock. (12" travel)

Good idea phragle. I'll be more in touch with ya. I'd like to build a true long travel swingarm. Would speed things up a little in the Blaster world of riding and comfortability.

I was going to order the housing and carriers from jj & a. They seem to carry some good stuff like the pinch bolts and shock tabs too.

It sounds nice.What would it cost to ship?You say your only doing round housing.So to me it seems it's not the same as stock.What do I need to change to make your arm work?I was looking at my swing arm and thinking about it.Do you put the bottom shock mount lower so it don't raise the back higher?

Actually, it would be a direct bolt up. You need to change nothing. Maybe the caliper mounts may be off from the Banshee mounts. Not sure...but it would have the Banshee carrier, which will work with your axle. The mounts for the shock would be in the stock location, thus not changing the ride height of the rear. The round style carrier is just an ease of adjustment on the chain, and overall makes it look much better and less cluttered up. Please anyone chime in and correct me if I am wrong on anything! Do not want to give out any false info here.

I would like to see a +3 or +4 roundhouse style carrier swingarm all fabbed up.I really like the idea of the long travel rear also.Get one done and if all looks well I will be glad to take one.

J... IMO i think a person would have to see one and know more about it before commiting. Sounds like an awesome idea. Alot of work going into making one so i can see you justifying the price. Wont you have to do alot of testing and refinement or offer some time of warranty time frame. Im not doubting your work, even professional stuff breaks. Cant wait to see one finished though.

Yeh...I believe that's what were gonna have to do...We will start ordering the necessary tool to notch the tubing.

Well we can notch the tubing with a chop saw and at least get one done or a mock up done that way so we can see what we will be workin with. However if we are making a few swingers it would be worthwhile to invest in a notcher.