YZ 400 in a blaster

i know dude its gettin there. i unfortunatly have to go on a roadtrip next week so this thing isnt goin to be done till after i get back. thanks for aprreciating what i did bro.

no problem man...and this is already happening faster than a lot of other builds so i think we can all wait a week lol. gotten any more bright ideas for the pipe?

Oh ok sorry. I haven't been on here very long to know who everyone is but I should have figured he'd be a member of blasterforum haha. It's looking good tho man have fun with your awesome project

Reactions: 2000blasternewb
Ok guys got a few things done. I got the electronics hooked up and I got spark. I had to us the old blaster coil because the wire for the 400 coil ripped out. I got the carb rejetted and hooked up. Filter fit on real nice and looks clean I think. Well after I got spark I realized that the coil wire isnt long enough and now I have to relocate the coil. it will be mounted where you see it at in the picture. Got the clutch cable hooked up to.

14oa97t.jpg

This here is a picture of how I am going to route the exhuast. At the end I'm just going to loop it up under the frame and right to the flange. This is going to keep it closest to the factory length.

2crkm4w.jpg

Alright fellas, well I'm back from my trip and will be starting on my project later today again. I might also take it over to the exhaust shop today to get the pipe done.

So how hard was it to put the yz400 motor mounted in the blaster frame. Or did it just go in there pretty well. Also where did you get the idea to do that?

--07, it wasnt to hard, well i will say it wasnt easy also. as you can see i had to cut the part of the frame out, as well as make all my own custom motor mounts. so far the hardest thing to do is get my exhaust pipe made up. It is almost done though. Its being a real pain in the ass though. It looks like crap to and I'm not to proud of it but if it works then thats all that matters. Thanks 92, for pointing the new guy in the right direction. And to answer your other question, I was calling around to find a yz250 and I found this 400 instead. Only then did I find out that paulie also had the same motor swap.

looks great man.. that things gonna haul ass.. look out shee's :)

im curious on how those mounts will hold up..the welds arnt bad at all but the metal looked kinda thin to me..might wanna consider getting a few rubber bushing and sliding them in between the mount and frame to help with vibration.

that thing looks great to say the least man... i know its going to fly..

The vibes will be OK with it solid mounted.
I have yet to see rubber mounts help a big CR500/YZ490 anyway.
If you rubber mount anything do the handle bars where it is most felt.
I don't even notice mine anymore.
It will be more then the counterbalanced Blaster motor your used to.
Use lock tite on your motor mounts, fenders, grab bar, and front bumper.
I'm convinced that vibration is the direct result of the stroke of these big smokers.
The more the stroke, the more weight (rod and piston) your swinging around.
Your 78' has 5mm less stroke then my 79' so I anticipate it to vibrate even less then mine.

I'm convinced that vibration is the direct result of the stroke of these big smokers.

I'm kinda hoping this ain't always true :) as I'm strokin my 250 4.5mm. Gonna try the ring of mercury on this vibration thing. Let y'all know how it works out. Anyway ya look at it the horsepower's worth the shake :)

I'm kinda hoping this ain't always true :) as I'm strokin my 250 4.5mm. Gonna try the ring of mercury on this vibration thing. Let y'all know how it works out. Anyway ya look at it the horsepower's worth the shake :)
That will put you slightly past the stroke of mine which is 75mm.
The 490 was bad even in a dirtbike frame at a 82mm stroke, and the mighty CR500 is at 79mm.
You still might be OK though. I say this because of the bore size.
Your bore size will def be smaller then my 83mm and also the 490/500 by a mile.
It sounds complicated but I know you get it, you will have less weight (rod + piston) swinging around which should translate to less vibes.
Damn now there is 2 builds I'm dieing to see come out lol

For you other guys trying to understand what a big uncounterbalanced smoker in a quad frame vibrates like...
It's not like a vibe felt in a sander or say a car buffer.
It's almost an impact wrench, jachammer vibration.
The kind that breaks welds and nuts loose- this is the reality of it B)