YZ 400 in a blaster

Ok fellas, just got the motor today. For the record its a 78'. Th guy I bought it for says all it needs is a new set of rings. I will pick them up soon and then a new gasket set. I will take pictures a little later. Thank you all who are interested in this swap.

im goin to follow the same thing Paulie did. Cut part of the frame and then remake some front motor mounts. Since I dont have another swingarm like paulie did Im goin to modify my swingarm or make another one somehow.

See if you can get the stock rear 1978 dirt bike motor mount off ebay.
You can use it to mount the rear of that 400 to your Blasters swingarm bolt with some grinding.
Here is a picture of how I did mine for some help.
Good luck!
IM000346.jpg

ok guys got some work done. Basically just took the motor out and took the electronics off the bike thats about it. I got the motor taken apart also and found out it needs a topend rebuild. Oh well I guess I cant get everything lol.

new motor siting next to the old motor (400 is on right)
141qd0z.jpg

34ywv3k.jpg

last time the blasty will have the old motor in it
zxnnfr.jpg

empty blaster frame
2lwn9r8.jpg

just kinda sat the motor in there for poops and chuckles
6qk4dt.jpg

And now the motor pulled apart
33v2o79.jpg

2eocoz9.jpg

3149m4m.jpg

5fhuux.jpg

man that motor's a little rough on the inside. keep the pics coming. would love to do one of these for myself

i will it will be a slowish build as most the fab work has to be over at my buddies house and he works all the time. money is tight also. Im not to worried about the inside since I'm getting a new piston and giving the jug a new bore job.

you should send that out to angus for a port and head work.....he can bore it for ya too.......none the less man looking forward to seeing this thing rip

lol me to bro. i might just talk to him to see what he thinks. I can get it bored here in town for 50 bucks. then again after that bore i only made 60 psi on the compression gauge.

Definitely older then a 79'.
It looks like you will still have to cut the frame where we were talking about to get the motor to sit lower.
After a new top end you will prolly read 110-130psi on your gauge.
That is normal.
Check the crank and rod bearings.
Even with a bad top end thats a good deal for that motor.
I'm excited for you lol

Thanks bro, hey instead of making or getting those brackets to mount to the swingarm bolt, can I just make something to mount it to the frame instead? After setting the motor in the frame it looked like it would be hard just to weld up a few mounts right to the back part of the frame.

so the swingarm will still work without having a motor in the middle part of it?

Hmmm you got me thinking, I'm not 100% sure if the bearings will stay in if there wasn't something there to stop them.
Worst case scenario you might have to cut a section of pipe to fit inbetween them as a 'retainer'.
Maybe someone will chime in with and opinion on this.