YZ 400 in a blaster

ok guys here she is. I got this run and two others in today.
Test Ride #2

After the few runs I made, this happened.

2s9vts2.jpg

thats right the motor broke the welds on the qquarter inch plate steel I used for the back mounts. So I rewelded them and reinforced it with this.

33ccizo.jpg

2d8jp8k.jpg

It sounds good! Whatever your using as a pipe must be halfway decent.
How is the powerband- low, mid, or high?
How are the vibes?
I think I heard some clutch slip in there.
If you continue to have welds break on the motor mount use some 1/4" angle iron and run bolts though it. It's what I did from square one after reading others bad luck with welded motor mounts.
If you go this route you will need a drill press and some cobalt bits.
If you don't have one just make the mounts, mark your holes and send them to me I'll drill-em out for you but the holes in your motor plate you'll have to do by hand of course.

thats awesome man! looks like you need to figure out how to hold that monster in better but the fact that it works and rips good must feel great. I:I

the reason why the welds are breaking is because welds dont hold up to harmonic vibrations very well (strong ones anyways)
see if you can bolt it and weld it

It sounds good! Whatever your using as a pipe must be halfway decent.
How is the powerband- low, mid, or high?
How are the vibes?
I think I heard some clutch slip in there.
If you continue to have welds break on the motor mount use some 1/4" angle iron and run bolts though it. It's what I did from square one after reading others bad luck with welded motor mounts.
If you go this route you will need a drill press and some cobalt bits.
If you don't have one just make the mounts, mark your holes and send them to me I'll drill-em out for you but the holes in your motor plate you'll have to do by hand of course.

thanks bro, the power comes on low and doesnt stop just like you put it. The pipe isnt to bad, I will now invest in a DG pipe just like you. The vvibes arent to bad, but they sure are noticable. And yes there was clutch slipping, I gotta go ahead and start looking for more clutches soon. I really hope those new reinforced mounts I made hold this time.

thats awesome man! looks like you need to figure out how to hold that monster in better but the fact that it works and rips good must feel great. I:I

Thanks bro, these new ones should hold.

the reason why the welds are breaking is because welds dont hold up to harmonic vibrations very well (strong ones anyways)

well as you might be right, the main reason this specific set of welds broke were due to poor penetration. I was just learning how to weld and after closer inspection, I didnt even penetrate the mounts.

I belive you're not getting good penetration on your welds. Clean the weld area of all rust before welding. If this holds till you get to paintre-do the welds. Put a bead on the other side of the tab, grind it for clearance if needed. Don't know what you're using for a welder, but try turning up theheat a little.

Soundin good! Get that motor locked down & yur gonna have a blast. Looks like a lotta side wear on the sprocket. Was it like that to start or did it happen since the swap?

Welp, PAULIE you nailed it right on the head. The clutch went out today completely. It will not release at all. Im on the search for a new one now. But f*ck!!!! did this thing haul ass on the trail. If it was running at its potential I fully believe this is faster than my buddies 660 raptor.

I belive you're not getting good penetration on your welds. Clean the weld area of all rust before welding. If this holds till you get to paintre-do the welds. Put a bead on the other side of the tab, grind it for clearance if needed. Don't know what you're using for a welder, but try turning up theheat a little.

I was using a base model flux core mig welder. this last time i got some good penetration on the mounts the first time i didnt know what i was doing.

Soundin good! Get that motor locked down & yur gonna have a blast. Looks like a lotta side wear on the sprocket. Was it like that to start or did it happen since the swap?

the sprocket was lke that. I made sure that the front a rear sprockets were aligned. thanks for the support

F U C K I N SWEEEET MAN!!! I LOVE U AND IT!!! LOL kick ass build now u got me searchin for engines lol

thanks for the enthusiasm bro. I was concerned about the motor not running good but its awesome, hope you find what your looking for then.

Just ordered this

nf2007.jpg

its basically like there stage 2 clutch kit. DReeds says he runs one on his modified shee so I should be good on my bike.

Also ordered one of these for easier clutch adjustment

291jn8g.jpg

banshee pressure plate.

Possibly looking at this too. Its a pushrod thrust bearing kit, takes a lot of stress off the ball bearing between the two clutch rods. not sure if it will work with mine. Paulie doesnt know either so I might be the test monkey on this lol

23h7kpi.jpg

looks like she runs pretty damn good man.......sounds good too, nice job bro

thanks bro, she sure was squirely. Before the clutch went I was coming out of a corner on the trails and yanked the wheels up in third :eek:

All good choices my friend.
That clutch is about perfect for you ;)
thanks bro, i thought they were all good as well. I wanna get the jug ported next winter and do some more goodies to the bike. :D

thanks dude, i dont think i did to bad on the swap. next winter or the year after I will take everything out and redo the mounts to be even better looking. this is down the road will be one bad looking bike if all goes well.

Reactions: kx80berger

LMAO @ "harmonic vibrations".... Ya i seen that on discovery channel too.

Thats a bad ass ride bro, ya the welds broke cause thats some killer torque that things putting out. Keep us updated...

UPDATE- got the new clutch in and it grabs hard. The banshee plate doesnt fit in without modification so I didnt get to use it yet. Also the thrust bearing pushrod kit I bought will have to be shorted so I can use it with the banshee plate later. I might have to adjust the clutch later on cause she wont go into neutral with the moto running. I took her around the block, it bogged down and stalled and it wont run again. I will be fixing to take the carb apart clean it out, clean the tank petcock vavle, and replace the fuel line and filter, and replace the spark plug. hopefully that will do it. Im still working on painting the plastics. Thats about it other than when she ran she hauled ass like no other lol.

Reactions: brandoz28