XJ550 Blaster

I just thought of something that kinda hit me while looking at the pics of the gas tank and plastics. Is the gas petcock going to flow enough gas to feed that beast? It might run be ok for short bursts of throttle but if you are screaming on it, is it going to have enough flow? and another thing, are you going to extend the swinger?

I kind of put a hole in the tank trying to heat and push in that big bump :eek: I might have to make some sort of fuel cell. Before I messed up the tank we did use it for a few test runs, but nothing long enough to stress out the fuel flow.

Reactions: Whitty21
I would look into a petcock off a Shee! They flow about twice as much fuel, and you can probably get one cheap. You might also check at a Bike and ATV bone yard for a petcock off a bike to make sure it will flow enough. just some thoughts. Otherwise it looks awesome and is going to be a "blaster" for you to ride, have fun and be safe! Check the "for sale" section for a tank and try it again.

awesome job man the build is comming along great. I noticed you couldn't use the front fender mounting bracket. do you still have it i really need one.

The trick to working something like that is no direct heat. If you have a body spoon you don't mind ruining, you could use it to keep the heat off of the plastic but get it hot enough to become pliable and work it in. A cheap body spoon, a propane torch, and some welding gloves and you COULD work a tank in to the right shape. Like I said before, it would probably be easier to take a good tank to a body shop with the proper tools and have them mold it to the right shape.

The body fits over that hulk of a motor like a glove... It looks SUPER good...I can't wait to see a video of it riding. Maybe it could come to busco next year for the E2S/BF weekend....

awesome job man the build is comming along great. I noticed you couldn't use the front fender mounting bracket. do you still have it i really need one.

I think i must be missing them from both my parts frames.. do you have a picture of one or a yamaha part number I could put into bikebandit and see it?

it's on bikebandit in the body and frame section. just a foot long solid 1/2 inch rod with the ends flattened with holes drilled and acouple flattend spots in the middle with holes to mount to the frame, bent to match up to the bottom hole on the back part of the fender.

I was able to finish making the main wire harness tonight. I had to make the whole harness... All i really reused off the bike were the plugs.

wire1.JPG

wire2.JPG

Holy crap! It looks like the electrical tape monster got ahold to it. I don't blame you, every time I go to monkeying with wires I end up wrapping the harness with about twice as much tape as it would have taken the factory to do it.

Is the wiring now good to go? You running a battery down inside the original airbox?

After all that tape.. I forgot a few wires. I need to draw it out first and start over.. but that can wait until after a few test runs. I'll post a copy of my wiring diagram when I get it done.

My jets showed up today. I switched the stock 35 pilots for 40s. The engine now idles and I was able to get rid of 95% of the hanging idle. I uploaded a video to show how much the jets helped. I should have a riding video this weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Built Modiphyd