XJ550 Blaster

About only having to make 3 cuts to get the pipes out. I'm just curious about how much shoe horning is actually required to get this motor into the frame and all of the stuff buttoned up. Could be a killer swap if it's not too invasive.

Plus it's really fun to call people out with pics or you're lying...

Good call. I'll take pics tonight. It has been too muggy to work outside the last week or so..

ya u want to see some activity goin this thread surely but slowly slowin down lol pics would brighten it up

XJ30.JPG

XJ31.JPG

I finished the front upper motor mounts today. I forgot to bring my camera so pics will have to wait. Its still been too hot/sticky so I haven't put any long hours into it the last week or so. The rest of the parts I need won't be here until tuesday.

Ok here are the pics of the front motor mounts. They are just tacked for now. This is my first time building a frame so it might not be pretty.

The first pic is of the motor mount installed. The second pic shows how it unbolts and moves out of the way so the motor can be removed from the frame. The last pic is of the mount on the other side of the motor. I plan to round off the edge of the mounts so they look a little better.

Front%20Mount%20Installed%20(Large).jpg

Front%20Mount%20removed%20(Large).jpg

right%20mount%20(Large).JPG

Reactions: Built Modiphyd
The motor mounts don't have to be pretty, just functional...

Is that a foreman or a rancher with the mudlites on it in front of the blaster?

Me and some friends rent the shop where i'm building the ATV. The red one in the pic is a Honda foreman 450S.

Hiding around the garage (friends rides):
Honda 250X
Honda 250 Big Red ATC
Yamaha Bigbear 350
Honda 400EX
Honda Foreman 450S
Honda Foreman Rubicon 500FA

Then in my collection at home:

Yamaha Warrior 350 (2003)
Yamaha Blaster (2004)
Yamaha Blaster turned XJ550 (90)
Yamaha GT80F (79)
Yamaha XS400F (79)
Yamaha XS850G (80)

Then I have a few oldies that I saved from being junked:
Honda ATC 250r (84) (bad crank)
Honda TRX200 (84) (lots of smoke)
Polaris Colt 250 snowmobile (1974) (saved from scrap metal collector)

Alright I have some updates:

I got the frame all welded up. I also made some footpeg mounts and welded them to the frame. The pegs bolt onto them.

Below are some pictures of the new chain that cost as much as the motor:

chain1.jpg

Next to the stock 530 motorcycle chain:

chain2.jpg

chain3.jpg

Since this is such a small update, I also wanted to take the time to thank the tools in the shop:

The forklift.. for the 15+ motors it helped removed/install from cars

fork1.jpg

fork2.jpg

The Lincoln wire feeder..

wire.jpg

And for the Miller power supply..

power.jpg

Okay I took a trip to milwaukee cycle salvage today. I didn't plan to buy anything because I was on my motorcycle. ... but then I saw this Yoshi on a shelf of about 100 other pipes... It has some small dings and such but the price was right. I think it will look good on the blaster

pipe2.jpg

How i got it home:

pipe1.jpg

I should have known better than to take my motorcycle shopping...

NICE! Lets see some pics and videos of you riding it! I am curious what the power will be like on this thing, Is it good or is it to much for a smaller quad?

Then again...can you ever have too much power and not enough traction?...lol. That is what makes it so much fun to ride right?

I got everything back together. The plastics are re-installed so I can fix some of the mounts I had to remove to fit the motor. I fixed the headers so they all point stright back. I will finish the rest of the pipes soon. I also started the final wiring. I am using an AGM battery so I can lay it on its side at an angle in the air box. The ignition box will be in with the battery. I'm not sure if I will mount the voltage regulator in the small rear box or outside some place. I'll have to see how hot it runs. I also found a way to use the thumb throttle.

close-side2.JPG

close-side3.JPG

front.JPG

back.JPG

I just thought of something that kinda hit me while looking at the pics of the gas tank and plastics. Is the gas petcock going to flow enough gas to feed that beast? It might run be ok for short bursts of throttle but if you are screaming on it, is it going to have enough flow? and another thing, are you going to extend the swinger?