When it rains it pours!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy crap! That sucked. The good news is, I didn't kill myself or blow anything up. The bad news is it was HORRIBLY disappointing on the track. The head lifted enough to allow the cylinder to be coated in splooge, the carburetor was so pig rich that it was spitting fuel back out of the intake and soaking the filter and shooting liquid out of the pipe. Back to the drawing board when I get home, there are several modifications to be made before another TNT. One is to make a different fuel pump bypass. The pump, even with the bypass adjusted more open was overpowering the float and shooting fuel out of the throat.

The nest mod is to sell the yz85 flywheel and stator LOL and maybe add some weight to the flywheel! LOL As rich as it is, I couldn't launch for anything. Even revving it to the moon, it would bog in second. I'm also going to be buying like 5 aluminum PJ needles and reconfiguring their tapers for interchangability.

sounds like a productive night to me.

glad to hear you, and it survived.
you learned a few things you couldn't at home
and time for some hydro brakes, i have some hydro parts/brackets i could donate ?

Hope folks realize what Civic is up against here. We have knowledgeable members here struggle with jetting on pj's & oko's. This with lots of documentation and good experienced advise. Civic is in another dimension with an unknown port/head configuration, unknown carb/fuel setup, unknown pipe configuration and experimental ignition.
Trying to isolate the problems could drive most folks crazy ... dial in one thing & change another ... Amazing that it runs at all and a credit to his imagination and perseverance. I:I
Thanks for sharing this effort ... you could use a 55gal drum of nitro & a test track in your back yard :)

Hope folks realize what Civic is up against here. We have knowledgeable members here struggle with jetting on pj's & oko's. This with lots of documentation and good experienced advise. Civic is in another dimension with an unknown port/head configuration, unknown carb/fuel setup, unknown pipe configuration and experimental ignition.
Trying to isolate the problems could drive most folks crazy ... dial in one thing & change another ... Amazing that it runs at all and a credit to his imagination and perseverance. I:I
Thanks for sharing this effort ... you could use a 55gal drum of nitro & a test track in your back yard :)

We have a word for it around here. I'm "out in the sticks".

The only people who have specific knowledge regarding the subject of timing versus fueling demands for higher nitromethane content engine are far too highly paid to devulge any of that knowledge to any one else (lest they lose any competitive edge). The best I can hope is to scour the interwebs and hope someone has made some comments that I can extrapolate to my situation.

Here's what I have so far:

PJ38 with 140 main (started off on a 170 main Friday night), custom taper needle, mikuni powerjet (with the 80 powerjet installed) with the carburetor being force fed by a DF52 fuel pump.

PVL 1.6 ohm dual outlet coil pushing the two spark plugs (BR8ES for right now but I'm trying to get coller surface gap plugs ;)), stock flywheel with +15 degrees of ignition timing (over stock)

I made 4 passes Friday night on about a gallon of 20% nitro (blowing liquid fuel out of the tailpipe). The first pass was a total and complete joke of like 12 seconds (yes, it was that bad!) where the engine was actually coating the guardrail with liquid.

The second pass I cleared the carb a bit before staging but on launch it completely bogged out. About 60 feet out I pulled in the clutch and held the throttle wide open for about a second to clear it and went for it again. That time it dug the wheelie bar into the sand and nearly pulled my arms off the bars for about the rest of the track so I felt like it COULD run if I got the thing cleared properly or got the carburetor set up properly.

After the second run, I pulled back to the back of the pits and ripped the carburetor down. I put the needle from the 5th clip position (I didn't want to be lean!) up to the 2nd and dropped from a 170 main to the 140 main and adjusted the fuel pump bypass screw up (to allow more bypass).

The third run I cleared it a little more before staging. The launch went a little better but still bogged but once I got off the line a bit it cleared up and got on that honkin pipe. This time I was prepared more for the hit and stayed with it (NO LETTING OUT DAMNIT! GO OR BLOW) ) and ran a kinda sort of barely respectable ~6.5 seconds.

The 4th run I knew I was low on fuel and it started revving up on me at the line. I knew I was getting on fumes and staged quickly and luckily the other rider did too. I left the line really well (with the engine running leaner from running out of fuel!) with a hammer hard launch but about halfway down the track it bogged completely out so I pulled in the clutch and coasted around to the return lane and pulled it back to camp. My night of Test and Tune was done......

Honestly, I wasn't as disappointed in how it ran (as it was, afterall its first run) but more on how unprepared I was for this and how poorly the dragger showed because of it.

I have to thank pretty much all of my buddies for their help (I have a great bunch of friends that stuck with me Friday night instead of tearing up some mudholes which they every right to go do!)and support. I borrowed air compressors, tow straps, help with wrenching, and most importantly their precious riding time down at Busco Beach.

I already have a plan of attack on where to go from here. Some of which I have already covered and some has yet to be even planned out. Part of it will be installing regular round tires on it and taking it somewhere to do a few straight stretch pulls for carburetor tuning. Actual times and launching and things will have to be done at the track at the next TNT but I've got to have a quad that won't coat spectators with fuel first!

glad to hear you, and it survived.
you learned a few things you couldn't at home
and time for some hydro brakes, i have some hydro parts/brackets i could donate ?

Thanks for the offer man but I got the cable caliper dialed in and plan on redoing the cable/sheath so that it doesn't have a "dip" in the sheath and is more of a straight shot. The cable calipers work fairly well when they're adjusted/clean/maintained.

DSC00052.jpg

DSC00053-1.jpg

DSC00054.jpg

DSC00055.jpg

DSC00056.jpg

Waiting on my back fenders from Brandoz28 and a race hood (maier 250R style) from 2smoker85. Then I have to order carburetor parts and re-do the fuel pump bypass valve. ;D

So the problem is OBVIOUS!

DSC00303-5.jpg

I have no way to thread that on the arbor I made for the lathe..... :( :(

Problem solved:

The mount from the side:

DSC00102.jpg

The mount from the end:

DSC00103.jpg

The drawbar through the spindle that will hold the head onto the studs:

DSC00098.jpg

great job man! I:I hope you got the stroker in the mail! maybe that can be your blue ribbon factor. lol i hope so :D

Status
Not open for further replies.