New to me 95 blaster yay

blaster7

Mar 5, 2011
Martinsburg wv
Well fellow blaster community I’m back, I know it’s been awhile since I’ve been around but I have been extremely busy with moving, work and family. But after a long hiatus I’m back in the game.

Last year I purchased a 96 DR650SE that has been completely torn down and is being built from the ground up, but since this bike is going to be awhile to get finished and with spring here now I got the bug. So with little spare cash and little time I hit FB Marketplace in search for a new ride. Well long story short I found a clean 95 blaster that apparently needed a crank as the owner stated it had rod knock although it was just rebuilt in December and he even had all receipts for prof. I really wanted to start with an 03 up because of the hydraulic disk brakes and more modern hood but this one already had brand new made in USA aluminum DWT blue label wheels with gorilla lugs and new sunf tires, pro taper bars and grips, tors elimination, Alba bumper and grab bar, and even a brand new toomey pipe kit.

Well, I arrived on scene and sure enough it’s exactly as he stated and everything was clean and he even had a bunch of extra parts to go along with it including extra wheels and tires, three different cylinders one with head, heel guards, gasket kits, seals, light bar, carb, wheel bearings, fmf powercore 2 silencer and DG silencer as well. So I go ahead and gave him a grand for everything.

Got it home and pulled the engine and tore her down, well, yep, it has a Chinese cylinder and piston in it and the wrist pin literally exploded but stayed contained within the rod, how? I have no clue but I knew that even know the crank which was in spec as per the service manual specs in respect to my starrett dial indicator, V blocks and feeler gauges that I was going to split the cases anyway, just in case and rebuild everything,

Here are all of the parts I have ordered for her. new oem koyo crank bearings and hotrods crankshaft kit but will be chucking the hotrods wristpin bearing and going with a genuine Yamaha one, I scored a fresh 80 over oem cylinder with wossner piston kit, oem base and head gasket, all new seals, V-force 4 reeds, uni filter. I will also be installing a Suzuki dr650se front two piston brake caliper on the rear with a galfer braided line, I will utilize the dr’s rear master cylinder as well seeing I have a total of three of these when I purchased my dr I also received a new front hydro setup from my sister as a gift for all the help I give her, thanks sis.

I also ported the new cylinder and since I will not be getting a new carb until the funds become available, I will also be porting that as well. I will also port match the cases to the transfers. As for the shifting drum and star, I welded the star to the drum and modded the shift star and gave it a good polishing.

I will upload some pics of the new ride and some pics of the dr rear brake setup, yes, it has green plastics ehh but there at least clean and crack free, I did some sanding and heat gunning to them to make them sparkle again, thanks for the tip years ago DualStroker, your the man. Let me know what you all think. I know it feels good to be home for me.

I will try and upload some pics for everyone.

57A3241A-7E1F-4109-B522-2FD30E4039EE.jpeg
Here is a pic of when I first received it.

Last edited:
Continuation part 2: All went well with the rebuild and it passed the leakdown test of seven psi, I let it sit for thirty minutes as per all of my rebuilds and it held I then proceeded to the heat cycles (4) of them each reaching a cht of 200 degrees a piece at varying throttle. Then it was off for a half throttle cruise for the first tank which was mixed at 32.1 with 2R. After this I mixed up a full tank of 92 with klotz r50 at 32.1 and that’s where I’m at now.

I did run it around and pulled a couple of full throttle stints and I was monitoring the cht via a digitron gauge and it got up to 280f to 290f at top and 240 idol and that was with a 320 main. So I swapped out the 320 with a 350 and temps dropped dramatically, now at 250f to 260f at top and 200f to 210f on idol. I still need to do some plug chops to see exactly where I’m at but that will have to wait until I can take it over to my buddies place (farm)

The trans shifts ultra smooth and finding neutral is super easy, I am running ATF type F as I do in all of my 2t’s. I have changed the oil a total of three times just to play it safe because they are new clutches with hd spring (Barnett) I was expecting to see more particles then I did but to my surprise it was as clean as when I poured it in. I know, I know, I’m being cautious but with a fresh rebuild I do not want to take any risk.

Next items on the list are: sending the head to ken and having it re chambered, pwk or tm carb, aluminum air box or uni pod with outerwears pre filter, banshee fronts and Z400 rear shock. It’s a handful to say the least and I can’t wait till it’s dialed in and take it to the local atv park.

1C743ED6-61D9-486E-B6EF-3648C81C23DE.jpeg
6DC92C5A-DAF4-44ED-8BA8-892A075E7851.jpeg
0CB762B9-C06D-4DF8-892D-7264682D6CF7.jpeg
Some pics of the rear hydro setup that I came up with, and yes, it’s a little too much brake on the rear.

Last edited:
40F093D7-EE62-49C5-A805-32BBAA5558F8.jpeg
37CCBCDE-C843-42AC-8178-6407625AC8DD.jpeg
C84CBAE3-1253-4977-B1D6-C3F56C5F6C64.jpeg
Here are a few pics of the porting I done, I kept this one conservative with a lot of meat left. After this bore is finished I will be picking up an la sleeve 240 sleeve and having ken instal it then I will re port it to the sleeve.

Thanks man, yeah the green is new for me. I’ve had four blaster minus this one and none of them were green, if fact, this is the first factory green blaster I have ever seen in person.