What size jets should i run?

Tocco

Apr 10, 2013
I have a FMF gold series full exhaust, boysen reeds, stock filter and airbox cover. I live in Washington, not quite sure the elevation, my dad said anywhere from 10-220 feet. Big gap lol. I can remove airbox cover/ buy a new filter. Thanks guys!

FMF = #260 main jet.
Aftermarket air cleaner + 1 or 2 size larger.
Air box lid off +2
32:1 pre mix +1
Needle in the middle slot.
32.5 pilot jet
Plug chop to confirm, as temperature, elevation and humidity come into the equasion

FMF = #260 main jet.
Aftermarket air cleaner + 1 or 2 size larger.
Air box lid off +2
32:1 pre mix +1
Needle in the middle slot.
32.5 pilot jet
Plug chop to confirm, as temperature, elevation and humidity come into the equasion

So if i have a fmf and my airbox off i should run a 280 main? And can soeone give me a plug chopping guide? Thats all i ever hear about and i wanna know how to do it

WHEN ALL OF THE ABOVE ARE CORRECT PROCEED WITH THE FOLLOWING.
Warm up motor to operating temp.

Fit new B8ES plug, ride WOT through the gears and hold WOT in 5th or 6th gear for 10 seconds, or as long as you can safely.

Switch off the motor and pull in the clutch, apply brakes to come to a stop quickly.

Take the plug out and replace the old one for the ride home.

Carefully cut the threaded end off the plug to expose the insulator.

There should be a smoke ring of a cardboard or biscuit colour around the insulator.

If it is non existant or a very light colour, you are lean and require a larger main jet.

If it is a lot darker you are rich and may go down a size in main.

I prefer to run a little on the darker side, I may loose a little power but it is worth it for the peace of mind that I won't need a rebuild so soon.

This is a good to go plug.
2wr2fwo.jpg

This one is a little rich, but I would run it, I like to be on the safe side.

plug152mainmediumoi2.jpg

You have to get up a reasonable speed so that you can get the motor to pull strongly.
Then hold it Wide Open Throttle (WOT) for 10 secs or as long as you can.
The idea is not to get speed but to make it pull strong at full throttle to get onto the main jet circuit.
I find I can safely do it on a short run by applying the brakes some.
If you have not enough room you can use 4th or 5th gear with good results.

Last edited: