What do I do

Aug 4, 2011
Elkhart,IN
Well I figured out why my flywheel key didntn fit my slot for my key on my crank is bent in very slightly so my question is what can I do? If I get a slightly smaller key and put it in there would that be ok? Please any help greatly appreciated getting frustrated with this damn thing

mmm what do you mean? is your crank bent? the key bent? or the edges of the slot burred over?

Im gathering its the latter, if so, have you tried filing the slot with some small files to removes the burrs?

Not exactly sure what it is called but it's where the wood rift key sits on the crank at the end of the little slot it's narrower then the rest and it's two small for me to get a file in

Ok well got to go run some errands and after that I will try to figure out how to load pics on here but I will try to be back ASAP and thanks for the replies

If you have removed the woodruff key and it is bent some, I would recommend that you lap the flywheel on to the crank, as a bent key is often a symptom that the flywheel was about to spin.

The key can be cleaned up with a file and re used, it is not the key that holds the flywheel at the right timing, but rather, the interference fit that the flywheel nut torques the taper up on the crank. 53ft lbs.

Id definetly figure outa how to get the proper size key back in, using a smaller one will end up with problems. Just my 2 cents.

Id definetly figure outa how to get the proper size key back in, using a smaller one will end up with problems. Just my 2 cents.

Yip those keys are not that particular size by accident, their size is calculated by means of engineering calculations and are just the right size to do its job, if you go smaller it WILL shear.

are the ones ur looking at dremel brand? imo true dremel brand ones are the best. everyone else makes them "just like dremel" i have had the same one for about 8 years and it still works perfect... you can even get a 100 series for like thirty bucks. i would get the 300series though its fully speed variable.. thats like 60-70 but it has at least a million uses!!! I:I

Last edited: