Update: Nightmare exhaust project!

lassek

Feb 23, 2009
Sweden, Denmark is my native
Hi again, i wrote earlier is was cooled of and thought it would be a easy install as always with exhaust on blaster.. I was the unlucky FMF fatty /PC2 buy who had some shipping issues.. (Thread: I FEEL CHEATED, CAN I FIX IT!)

This is the latest:

The problems wont stop!

Today after hours of cleaning I wanted to try and mount it (put the exhaust system on!)

I removed my stock headpipe and stock silencer.

Then the first problem, the "flange" dident fit on the 2 "thread pins" on the cylinder. The holes in the flange was not wide enough? It was just a tiny bit, but enough so that i couldnt slide the flange up over the pins. . . . So i rushed to a mechanic he quickly grinded the holes a little wider and we got back and now it could mount... it could slide over the 2 pins and i could attach the bolts. . . .
Problem solved but very weird flange i think? It was also very thin ? So i had to use 2 washers on each pin before the bolts got on..

THEN, i took the head pipe "fatty" ... slided it on and noticed something VERY weird!!!!!

WHERE are the spring supposed to go on to??!?!? The was an "metal eye" on the exhaust header yes! .. But none on the flange??? The flange only had 2 holes for the bolts?!? THIS IS VERY WEIRD!

Where do I attach the top of the spring??????

I then tried to slide the header on anyways without the spring.. (i could secure it by the top small bolt on top of the header on and onto the frame..

BUT.. I then took the rear silencer and it dident fit properly??!!!? It DID slide over the middle of the header as it is supposed to but the the mounting hole on the rear top of the canister dident match up at all?!??!!? And if i tried to mount it first by screwing the bolt in at top of canister then it couldnt slide over on the middle !!!!!!!

Something is completly wrong?!?!

I had to give up as i was in time need! ...

Am I possibly missing something or it is the correct flange ?!?Or do i need a spacerplate or anything?!

And what about the spring? how and where does it mount?! this it toally f**ked up..

Are there ANYONE with an FMF fatty that have picture, closeups of the cylinder/flange/exhaust so i can see it?

post up some pics of the pipe and silencer

I cant do that until tomorrow! .. The quad is in a storage facility..

I discovered this however:

fmf.jpg

this is another picture of ANOTHER fmf .. NOT mine I recieved from Liquid5Soul

that metal eye on the flange! It is NOT on my flange! It is totally plain where on mine where that "eye" is on the picture.. :´( This is truly a nightmare..

My flange is incomplete?! (ill post pictures tomorrow)

But that still dosent explain why the 2 parts of the pipe wont match up either?!

yea mine is exact same, i dont have any thing to mount the spring to, i clipped it onto my cylinder, ill see if i have a pic.
see its hooked into between the air fins
DSC02046.jpg

DSC02047.jpg

now that you say that i think when i had my fmf yrs ago i think i had to clip my spring to the cylinder too

yea mine is exact same, i dont have any thing to mount the spring to, i clipped it onto my cylinder, ill see if i have a pic.
DSC02046.jpg

DSC02047.jpg

Hey this is great stuff! Because it could mean it not incomplete that flange I have.. Is there any way you could really make a close up on where the spring attach on cylinder, its hard to see even though it very fine quality pictures..

Is there a hole in the cylinder?!? Or something you can hook the spring into?

Try to show me?

yes there is directly above the exhaust flange you can hook it in between the cooling fins.
you might have to stretch it a bit, i had a whole bunch of springs laying around from snowmobiles so it wasent hard finding one to fit.
alos i dont have any more pics, if i go to my dads today ill snap a picture

Could you even take some detailed pictures of the exhaust system from start to end..along with the "spring" pictures.. It would be awesome .. I dont understand why mine wont fit at all where the two pipes meet..

mine was really hard to fit, start by sliding the silencer over the header then fit/bend it in place and bolt down

Yeah ill guess ill have to ... I will try tomorrow to mount the header correctly with the spring now i know where it attaches...

But i think i will have to bend the header to make the 2 pipes sit correctly? DAMN i hope i wont crack, destroy anything.. cylindermounting?

I just think its crazy? because it apparently came just off a blaster? Can there be so much difference?

Also i thought FMF was perfect fitment?! lol

Listen! ... Can anyone confirm or un-confirm that there is a moveable bracket on the rear silencer???? I dont have any, but maybe there should be one?! That could VERY well be the answer why it wont fit?

On my previous Toomey kit there was 2 moveable bracket on the rear silencer... but they came with the silencer so i sold them of corse with it... it was a complete unit. .

but maybe i miss this bracket? Or are there none on this kit?

there is a bracket on the silencer pipe and on the can..neither of which are adjustable..can bolts with grab bar...there is a bend on the pipe coming from silencer and it goes on the inside of the frame...take ur time...it will fit..

there is a bracket on the silencer pipe and on the can..neither of which are adjustable..can bolts with grab bar...there is a bend on the pipe coming from silencer and it goes on the inside of the frame...take ur time...it will fit..

Ok damn! :(

Well first of all i only have the rear bracket.. the one on the canister.. because i found out that big welded patch i have was once the other bracket..

I did take my time, I have done it a million times.. something is wrong.. ill give it a go again tomorrow and take detailed pictures... At least now i know that the header and spring should fit..

IF ALL fails .. it shouldnt be to hard to fabricate a bracket on the rear that will fit..

my flange for my fatty has the spring holder on it.maybe you have the wrong flange since you have to grind bigger holes in it and maybe thats what causing it not to fit

i still have no clue how the flange didnt fit..i came right off my blaster. I cant see why it should have been grinded to open the holes. And the entire pip had bolted right up when i had it with no force needed...i have no clue how this is happening.