The build has begun!

callmej75

Jul 12, 2009
Roanoke, VA
So I finally got in all of my tools and decided to split the cases tonight. Broke the piston skirt, but I'm not using that piston so no biggie!

So here was my assortment of tools...not including the magneto puller:

IMG_8650.jpg

As you can see, the Tush mag holder and clutch basket holder came in VERY handy:

IMG_8655.jpg

IMG_8651.jpg

Here is what I was looking at on the right sire of the case:

IMG_8656.jpg

Taking the snap ring pliers and removing the 2 snap rings holding a gear on and once the gear comes off with one snap ring, there is another underneath you have to take off as well:

IMG_8657.jpg

IMG_8659.jpg

IMG_8660.jpg

Here is the retaining washer you have to bend the tab down on to get this gear off:

IMG_8661.jpg

Once I got that off, I decided to take the shift lever out by simply sliding it out:

IMG_8662.jpg

Here is the gear beside the crank gear coming out with the washer that lines up with the key way:

IMG_8665.jpg

Reactions: 4cfed and 89custom
then onto the gear that is on top of the gear that is on the crank itself...notice the key inside that as well that slides into both gears and the crank:

IMG_8667.jpg

Once that gear is off, the other just slided right out:

IMG_8668.jpg

2 screws hold the stator on....took a prybar and gently pried that out from all the corrosion buildup over the years and keeping it stuck in there:

IMG_8669.jpg

time to move to the other sire again....now taking out the retaining clips:

IMG_8670.jpg

IMG_8671.jpg

Make sure the shift paw is clear of the case before you start pulling it:

IMG_8674.jpg

Now time to split the cases with my Tusk 3 arm puller Make sure to have a rubber mallet handy also as to make sure this comes out straight while pulling the cases apart:

IMG_8675.jpg

Getting closer!

IMG_8676.jpg

Cases split....now i got some "C" shaped shift levers that came loose as I was pulling the case...so I'll have to figure them out by the manual when putting it back together:

IMG_8678.jpg

Well everything is out, and i ordered a top end kit from a fellow member that dyno'd at 36HP with a stroker crank, and the cylinder walls are notched to fit the 3+ stroker crank.

More to come later when i get all the seals, allen bolts, gaskets, and top end kit!

nice...... I need to invest in a few more tools as well.. Did you just ebay them? Or where'd you get them from?

sound like what fell otu when you split it was the shift forks.

Today.....crank bearings and seals along with the tranny gears.

Taking off the shift paw lever:

IMG_8679.jpg

Now on to the bearing....found a socket to fit right inside of the seal on the outside of the casing and drove it out with few wacks of the hammer....making sure it was coming out evenly:

IMG_8680.jpg

Then turn the case over and knock the seal out with a punch...making sure not to score the walls where the seal fits:

IMG_8681.jpg

Taking one part of the tranny gears out and it has a washer on top of it with a c-clip so no worries of it coming apart:

IMG_8682.jpg

Now i took out the main drive gears....this I had to spray some WD-40 on to slide over the seal on the outside of the casing...I wacked it a few times with the ball peen gently....making sure to not flatten out the surface where the kick start goes....here is it out:

IMG_8683.jpg

On to the other side case for the other crank bearing and seal...same technique but you can barely see the bearing on this one so find a socket that slides snug past the seal to hit the bearing and drive it out the back side of the case:

IMG_8684.jpg

Taking the seals out from the kickstart main drive and crank bearing:

IMG_8685.jpg

Also took out the little seal around where the shifter sticks out....I had an oil leak there before. I took a small punch, and from the outside, reached under the seal and pried up on it and it came right out:

IMG_8686.jpg

Crank bearing and seal free! Gotta seal kit on the way...

IMG_8687.jpg

To be continued......

So I just ordered the Vito's +3 stroker crank, Vito's full allen head bolt kit, full moose racing gasket set, full seal set, and Wiseco crank bearings. That should just about cover it since my top end is coming soon!

Thanks man! I won't be doing the porting and big bore work....but I will be possibly be reassembling as long as I get that tranny straightened out. The gears and shift forks are what I am worried about....bolting the rest back on is a cinch!

I am wondering if I need a reed spacer now since I will be using a 35mm carb?

If so, what recommendation on the size of it? i know they come in 3/8 and 1/2" sizes...