Snap-on's prices rant

79xs

Jul 21, 2010
Southeast Wisconsin
I always like good tools... but over the last few years I think snap-on has gone off the deep end. $500 for a slide hammer? Also, I have seen first hand that they re-brand other tools and jack the price way up.. even tools made in China... One of the old welders at the shop is a 110v blue point (one of snap-on's brands). As a Bluepoint it sells for $850 new (rip off for what it is) the SAME unit painted red with snap-on on the side is $1500. I always thought Snap-on and Harley should get together.. they could sell chrome plated lead for the price of gold and some people would pay it.. :eek:

Not re-branded china unit:
POWERMIG%20Mig%20Welder540.jpg

Snap-on unit..
IMG00048.jpg

Blue-point
welder.jpg

thats why i buy craftsman, almost all my tools are craftsman, lifetime warranty baby! much better quality and standard to them. got a christmas wishlist going now...

i agree also, my buddy has a aouto repair biz, and that snap on truck stops more than the mailman, and he's fallen for it time and time again over the last 15 years, mainly because it's convenient and they give him credit/payments
and some of the bullshit products they promote is bullshit for the price, now xince business has been slackin lately he decided to reduce his payments, they threatened to come repossess some of his stuff, so he immedietly saw that as an oppurtunity to get rid of some of the bullshit they've sold him over the years, mainly the
automatic transmission flush machine, which was a total flop, for the extravagant price he paid for it, he's maybe done 10 tranny flushes since he bout it, but they didnt want that back to reduce his bill, it's still like brand new, and he didnt even make enuf from it to pay for it, but when the salesman was touting their new greaty product, it was the best thing since shaved coochie
and they also started not honoring the warranty on certain things, that when bought were supposed to be lifetime warranty
i hang out there alot, and see my buddy glance at that louisville slugger everytime that snap-on dude walks thru the door
they keep hasslin him, that smart assed salesman may come up missing some day

snap-on has now become CRAP-ON

I think the military is the ones keeping crack-on alive. I see a lot of IRIMO and Bluepoint and same tool, different named boxes around.

well we use "specialty" tools we can only get through snap on, like for our maintenance on our gas turbines it calls for a specialty tool that cost 20k, it stay locked up and has to be logged when used

yeah I have a bunch of snap on tools that I've bought over he years. But lately I've been buying craftsman and specialty tools from tusk for atvs and stuff.

Craftsman tools have stepped up their game the past few years. They have some out with some new innovative great tools. And now my local ace hardware carries craftsman which is cool.

i get half off snap on tools. and my dad has a whole box filled with snap on from before i was born, when they werent rediculously priced. the local k mart sells craftsman, but i hardly ever need tools with what my dad has, and if i do its typically because either me, my brother, or my dad broke one. and they have a lifetime warranty so we just get it replaced, or its cheaper with the 50% off discount to just buy snap on than craftsman

i love craftsman, i remember finding a complete set of wrenches in the woods one time while riding, they were covered in rust, so me and my dad took a hammer and bent some and broke the others. got new ones from sears.
i personally would never buy snap on sh*t, dont care for it

I don't know about their new stuff but i have inherited some old wreches and other small had tools and they are great tools but they are also all older than i am. I personaly buy craftsman because it is readily available and all that homedepot and lowes (husky and kobalt) stuff is crap. they have replacement guarantees too but you will spend more time returning than using the tools lol

the snap on guy comes to our auto tech. all of our tools are either snap-on or blue point. yeah there nice and all but im still a craftsman fan. even though through auto tech i could get snap-on or mac half off i still do my business with craftsman.

im surprised no one has mentioned Mac

yeah...snap on, matco, and mac are all the same round here. sh*t is rediculously expensive from all 3. round here its like they get together and pick what they wanna sell so they all get business and they dont buy from just the snap on guy. The dealer ship I worked at Snap on came on Monday, MAC on Weds, and Matco on Fridays........

yeah they are all super expensive, but have you ever compared a snap-on ratchet to a powerbuilt, craftsmen, or a gm goodwrench ratchet? i personally have and could feel the difference in quality. as far as the sales men go, some are good some are not. are sales man just warrantied over 500$ worth. i just picked up a 49pc 3/8 drive ratchet and socket set for 145$ and i love it.

As someone mentioned snap on is only good for specialty tools you cant get no place else. To me craftsman is easier to replace and 1/3 the price. The biggest rip off is its crazy priced tool boxes. Snap on dont care if you have sh*tty credit either , they sell to anybody that has a store front who they can hound a few times a week. There welders are a POS. I am a miller fan first then lincoln.

Snap on tools are made alot stronger then the lower grade tools. So if you over work a Craftsman socket or wrench it can and will stretch a tiny bit, not noticable to the eye. So the next time you use the wrench or socket its a bit bigger and now your stripping bolts and dont know why.

The Snap on tool goes on and removes the bolt/nut or whatever without stripping and gets an awesome grip.

Bottum line: if you have time for stripped bolts and busted knuckles get the Craftsman.
If you want to get the job done without ruining bolts and fasteners go for Snap on.

In the long run Snap on tools will save you a fortune.

personnaly I think if you rounded off a bolt whether its rusted or not you got the wrong size socket or wrench and didnt even try to clean the rust off...

I used to do it all the time when I 1st started wrenching even when I used to go to a friends who had snap on. All I have is craftsman and I rarely ever round off bolts.

So its how you use the tool...thats my .02!