Sapient's Project

sapient

Feb 17, 2010
Louisiana
Started out with an engine and frame, barely bolted on... I rewired the essentials last night, got a spark, put some gas in it today and got fire!

Pics from when I first got it:
http://www.blasterforum.com/introductions-8/i-just-bought-project-24163/

Now that I know it runs, the game has just begun! I have a vision, and im going to need help and insight from you guys to get where I need to be...

I'll be posting all my progress/pics/video here....

Thanks for the help you guys have given me already.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol, yeah I can't find any bolts to fit on the header pipe... anyone know what size it is? I was going to pick some up at the hardware store today.

Plans?

I'm going to paint the frame yellow to match my truck, with black plastics, nerf bars, ide like to get an extended swing arm, possibly dropping it, (depending on what im going to be doing with it, alot of my friends go trail riding)... and 240 kit if it doesn't already have one. But right now im just trying to make it reliable/drivable....

As of now I need:
Chain
Clutch cable
Front brakes/cables
Rear breaks (maybe?)
Pegs or Nerf bars (currently I have nothing)
Rear Fenders
Air filter

Thats all I can think of right now.

Reactions: super noober
thats gotta be a record man, 10 post here and youve already caught the sickness lmao!! gotta give ya some rep on that one, i will be sure to stay tuned I:I

yo i have a set of drumb hubs for the front, alls ur gonna need is prob. new shoes and cables, and i have a rear brake that has new pads just needs cable prob. but thats up to u, and i have a set of pegs as well let me no if u just want the pegs then fine just hit me up via pm

lol, yeah I can't find any bolts to fit on the header pipe... anyone know what size it is? I was going to pick some up at the hardware store today.

Plans?

I'm going to paint the frame yellow to match my truck, with black plastics, nerf bars, ide like to get an extended swing arm, possibly dropping it, (depending on what im going to be doing with it, alot of my friends go trail riding)... and 240 kit if it doesn't already have one. But right now im just trying to make it reliable/drivable....

As of now I need:
Chain
Clutch cable
Front brakes/cables
Rear breaks (maybe?)
Pegs or Nerf bars (currently I have nothing)
Rear Fenders
Air filter

Thats all I can think of right now.

pm me i got a cheap chain

jfblasterboy65, I think all i need is the front pads and cables anyway. But how much you want for the pegs? I wonder how much shipping would be from NY to Louisiana...

Hell yeah, lol... I caught the fever after registering to this forum and seeing all the pictures of yall's badass bikes... And now that I actually got it running, it's pissing me off that I gotta wait till i get off work at 5 to wrench on it some more!

Edit: thanks Sillykid, but I just picked up a chain from Yamaha (they're literally 2 minutes from my office :p )

hey man the bolts for that flange are supposed to be M8x1.25 studs but they could be stripped out. can't wait to see how this comes out

jfblasterboy65 - PM Sent

Thanks for size brandoz28, I just got most of the bolts I need from the hardware shop behind my office. They let me carry the bolts out to the bike to see what I needed before I bought them, but thanks anyway. Where did you find that, anyway? You don't have a parts list do you?

I shortened the chain, put the chain on... put all the necessary bolts on (including the header bolts, no leak now), started it up... ran into a few problems:

1. Runs fine until you try to let it idle... then it just dies, I messed with the choke and idle settings a bit, but it didn't really make a difference... maybe its too cold?

2. Even though I don't have an actual clutch cable yet, the clutch doesn't engage... it has no spring back and even if you pull it one way or the other, the sprocket still spins when in gear... anyone know of a good tutorial on rebuilding the clutch?

Sooo... I just gave it a running start, hopped on, and put it in first to make a few blocks around the neighborhood lol...

I'm not giving it all its got since the top end was rebuilt... kinda breaking it in, but it feels like its got some power.

I'm damn happy.

Is this the way it's supposed to look or is there something I'm missing?

IMG_0763.JPG

^^Glad you're making progresss!! I love ur seat cover, BTW. I need one of those for my '05! Anyways, from what I can see in the pic, nothing (except for the cable, of course) is missing from that clutch arm. It IS, however, bent. This clutch actuator arm lifts right out of the engine case once the cable has been removed, so you can take it out and probably straighten it with a vise. Be sure to tip the bike so that the clutch arm is facing up a bit before removing it; otherwise, the pushrod for the clutch may slide out of postion and prevent the actuator arm from going back in.

As for your clutch engaging/releasing problem, just search the forum! There are several recently-posted threads discussing clutch problems. I have a tip, though: before condemning the clutch mechanism inside the engine, be aware that this clutch actuator arm you are looking at will flip-flop back and forth quite a bit with the cable off, while doing nothing to disengage the clutch when you move it. This is NORMAL! There are several springs putting pressure on the clutch inside the engine, and there is no way you are going to disengage the clutch by moving the actuator arm with your fingers.

Do this: Jack up the back end of the bike, start and run it with the tranny in gear, and grab the clutch actuator arm with a pair of heavy-duty pliers. This arm swings a good 35 degree arc during normal op, so using the pliers, don't be afraid to pull on it counterclockwise (towards the front of the Blasty), until the arm is pointing at the reed cage. I bet the clutch will now have disengaged, and the back wheels stopped spinning. If this happens, just go ahead and git/install a cable and ride on! If the clutch still won't disengage after trying to work it with pliers, there may well be something wrong inside the engine that will need looked at. Somehow, I don't think so... Whoever rebuilt that engine new at least enough to get it back to running conditon. If a guy can do a top end, he can do a clutch. I:I My .02, anyhow...

the end of the clutch arm point #1 should be in line with the flat peice on the case#2....that arm is sitting back to far which could mean a cable, try adjusting it on the bars to see if u can get the arm to line up, if u run outta adjustment, u can also adjust it inside the clutch case on the front of the pressure plate

ccccc.jpg