revs high by itself but wont take gas

OK found out it was a fouled plug causing it it as running fine for a while then started doing the same thing changed plugs and it ran good for about 5 min and started doing it again won't take gas but it will rev up by adjusting the idle screw.

cleaned the carb out again today and ran really good for 5 minutes once again it started not taking gas it would rev sometimes but if i let off it wouldnt take gas once again and im back at square one

I see posts that say you may have an air leak, and I do not see any that you have done one.

Try this...........

14mqc1y.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i got to tear into it pretty good today and i think i might have figured it out. after i cleaned the carb, i started it and like i said before it ran good for about 5 minutes. i took the carb off and i find little pieces of junk in the bottom of my float bowl. next i noticed inside the air box was a small white piece (i thought my air box was red because the plastic had been painted) i scratch it with my nail and discovered the previous owner had painted the inside of the airbox! i then pulled the air filter to find he had got paint inside of that too!

so, i cleaned out the carb and decided to put it back on there with no air filter or air intake boot. then i richened up the air screw a little bit and it ran fine every time i had it started. i put the air filter and intake boot back on, and boom within 5 minutes it was back to what it was doing. i take it it is sucking up paint chips from the intake boot to make the carb dirty again