revs high by itself but wont take gas

2000chevy

Jan 23, 2013
west virginia
My blaster revs high enough by itself to the point where if I didn't shut it off it would blow
Other times it revs high but not as high and it won't take any gas. When its running goodies when it idles extremely high. I was riding it this evening and it started out fine it took gas and all and then it wouldn't take any at all. Any help?

Well I took the float bowl off and cleaned the jets out and then sprayed out almost everything else before I got it to run and that made it run it not being able to take gas is an intermittent problem like I said when it takes the gas it'll run good

i dont have it at my house so i have to check here in a couple of days. how do i check jet size? I had the problem where it wouldnt take gas once but i got it to snap out of it and it ran fine. it seems like the colder it is the more likely this problem is to happen.

i dont have it at my house so i have to check here in a couple of days. how do i check jet size? I had the problem where it wouldnt take gas once but i got it to snap out of it and it ran fine. it seems like the colder it is the more likely this problem is to happen.

Good indication right there that it is running lean because the colder it gets the leaner it is. I would highly suggest at least checking your main jet size, there is a little number stamped on it. When you clean carb, do you comepletely dissassemble it, or just a quick douche with spray? There're tiny holes in the pilot jet and emulsion tube, not to mention all the passages in the carb body.

i sprayed out all of the passages i could find im not great with carb work. is the main jet the piece above or below the plastic piece inside the carb?

here is what I use :Berryman® Chem-Dip® Carburetor and Parts Cleaner | Berryman Products do not soak plastic or rubber parts.

Main jet is brass, 6mm hex. Plastic piece is main jet slosh baffel. Little tit of baffel goes into pilot jet hole. Need small straight slot to remove pilot. Emulsion tube slides up into carb bore after main jet is removed. Be sure to remove idle air screw and enrichening plunger (choke). I like to blow air both ways through any passage I can get blow gun to. Which is most all at least in one direction.

Highly suggest getting a Clymers manual. Also look at stickies for carb cleaning. jlsparky has one as I am sure there are bunches on You Tube

Last edited by a moderator:
Jet size is stamped on the main jet, as advised before you may need a #290 jet to suit your conditions, plug chop to confirm.

Plug chop.

Warm up motor to operating temp.

Fit new B8ES plug, ride through the gears and hold WOT in 5th or 6th gear for 10 seconds, or as long as you can safely.

Switch off the motor and pull in the clutch, roll to a stop.

Take the plug out and replace the old one for the ride home.

Carefully cut the threaded end off the plug to expose the insulator.

There should be a smoke ring of a cardboard or biscuit colour around the insulator.

If it is non existant or a very light colour, you are lean and require a larger main jet.

If it is a lot darker you are rich and may go down a size in main.

I prefer to run a little on the darker side, I may loose a little power but it is worth it for the peace of mind that I won't need a rebuild so soon.

http://www.blasterforum.com/do-yourself-20/how-plug-chop-38674/

http://www.blasterforum.com/engine-13/plug-chop-how-vid-48226/

This is a good to go plug.

2wr2fwo.jpg

This one is a little rich, but I would run it, I like to be on the safe side.

plug152mainmediumoi2.jpg

You have to get up a reasonable speed so that you can get the motor to pull strongly.

Then hold it Wide Open Throttle (WOT) for 10 secs or as long as you can.

The idea is not to get speed but to make it pull strong at full throttle to get onto the main jet curcuit.

I find I can safely do it on a short run by applying the brakes some.

If you have not enough room you can use 4th or 5th gear with good results.

Thanks guys ill try this in the next couple days I'm snowed in for today.are there any stores that sell jets or will I just have to order them?