Primer for head n jug?

tbrooks

Sep 24, 2013
NC mtns
So from what I've read nobody says anything bout using a primer on the head or jug. I know less paint is better to help with heat but I also know that aluminum is supposed to be primed b4 painting, but I've also heard of using chemicals to treat aluminum b4 painting, but idk anything about it. So how have you guys done it?

Thanks awk but actually it does on the second page. Says when painting bare metal use a self etch primer first. I got some High temp (1200 I think) bbq paint that I was gonna use, I've read some people have used that. I just haven't read anybody say they used primer and wondered if I should

so your jug is completely bare ?
did you sandblast it bare ?
if not, refer to step 3 at the bottom of page 2

either way, i'd only use the paint, if you get into primer, paint, clearcoat your going to be trapping heat

Try finding some of the paint that's made specifically for auto radiators. Eastwoods used to have some. As I remember, it sticks to aluminum and has a lower insulator value than other paints.

That sounds like a good idea dksix thanks. And yeah its completely bare. I aircraft stripped it.

I agree with above posters with using no primer, for high heat applications I have NEVER used any primer. I'm not even aware of any high heat primer is available.

Note: for normal paint on aluminium, you should use an etch primer, its a yellow color and works with an activator.
Again, I have om many occasions not used the primer, and never had issues yet.

Not sure how the extra heat would effect it but as far as adhesion to aluminum; Bull Dog adhesion promoter works well.

On another note, has anyone tries anodizing on any of the engine castings?

I agree with above posters with using no primer, for high heat applications I have NEVER used any primer. I'm not even aware of any high heat primer is available.

Note: for normal paint on aluminium, you should use an etch primer, its a yellow color and works with an activator.
Again, I have om many occasions not used the primer, and never had issues yet.

I agree and didn't wanna use primer because of the heat just wasn't sure how well the paint would adhere to the bare aluminum. I was hoping their might be some sort of chemical rubdown to prep the aluminum. I used etch primer on all the rest of my parts I think it was Duplicolor and supposed to be good for aluminum and steel, but was afraid of it trapping to much heat.

Just an FYI, BBQ paint is not chemical resistant. Gas and oils will strip it off in no time.

Just an FYI, BBQ paint is not chemical resistant. Gas and oils will strip it off in no time.

Aw ****:eek: Glad you told me. Guess I'll look into the duplicolor or radiator paint although I wouldn't think the radiator paint would be made to withstand as much heat. Maybe I'll just leave it bare